Any walkers in the family 5K Jan 2012?

minniemickeyfan

Original Poster
Our family (husband, myself and daughter 15) are getting ready for our 1st race ever-the family 5K. We are at 3.5 miles. I am now running about 1/2 of it, (alternatiing run/walk). My daughter does best just walking but walks so much faster than I -she's about 13 minutes just walking a mile. (she had a major back surgery and running is hard on her, but she's determined to make the time walking)

I was wondering if there are any walkers in the 5K? I have looked at some videos, it seems mostly everyone runs. We are hoping we can "fit in" in the race, and not worry about being at the very back trailing way behind.

Any thoughts/help/advice is greatly appreciated for us 1st timers!

ptaylor

Premium Member
You will see lots of walkers in the 5Ks, and lots of run/walkers.

Congrats on your first race and all your progress so far!

lukacseven

Lots of walkers - all shapes, sizes and experience levels. Runners will appreciate you starting in the middle to back of the pack (there are no corral assignments or timing). First mile is in the Epcot parking lots - you'll enter through a backstage security gate around the 1st mile marker. The rest of the race goes through the park and backstage areas. Last year there were several characters along the course, so think about taking a camera. Cast members are stationed with them to take the pictures for you.

dreamfinder

Plenty of people at all ages/abilities. Heck, I think when I convinced my DW to do the Halloween 5k at the Wine & Dine weekend with me two years ago it took us 45 minutes going at her pace. It's completely normal, and may be one of the reasons why they don't have official timing at the 5k's. Just getting out there and maintaining the pace is all you need. And it sounds like you guys will have no problems finishing on time and having fun doing it.

lukacseven

I think they mention the 16 minute/per mile pace for the 5K so people don't spend 2 hours roaming around the park. I can't imagine they would actually sweep anyone during this race.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom