Any Tour de France fans out there?

Heppenheimer

Original Poster
The Tour de France, by far, is my favorite annual sporting event. Beyond the excitement of watching the actual race (which, yes, I realize cycling is a bit of an acquired taste), part of the enjoyment comes from seeing the various personalities and racing styles unfold, the crowd reactions, and the simple backdrop of France itself, one of the world's most gorgeous countries. All the while, narrated (at least in the US), by Phil Liggett, one of the best announcers in sports.

This year, we've had a bit of a rough start. Stage I was marred by probably the worst act of fan negligence I have ever seen in a professional cycling race:

I can't find the clip, but another equally brutal crash later on in the same stage also took out most of the peleton. Previous multiple Tour de France winner Chris Froome of the UK barely limped back to finish the stage, and one of the outside favorites to win, Switzerland's Mark Hirshci, was all but eliminated from competition after getting tossed into the shrubbery.

But France's Julian Alaphilippe, the current world champion, demonstrated why he's one of the world's most popular cyclists:

Stage 2 saw Dutch cyclist Matthew van der Poel put in an effort for the ages to take the stage win and the yellow jersey:

And stage 3 yesterday was just... ugly. Everything that could go wrong for the several of the contenders did.

First, former winner Geraint Thomas from the UK crashed hard on what should have been a relaxing stretch of pavement. He likely separated his shoulder, but miraculously, he still managed to finish the stage. He lost time, but not an insurmountable amount.

Then, last year's runner-up and the winner of the Vuelta a Espana, Slovenia's Primož Roglič took a tough spill. He finished too finished the stage, but lost enough time that he is effectively now out of contention for the yellow jersey:

As if this wasn't enough, a few minutes later, several riders hit the deck on a fast curve(at 1:38 on the linked video):

No contenders went down on this crash, but last year's winner, the remarkable young Slovenian Tadej Pogačar was forced to slow down to avoid the fallen, which ended up costing him crucial time against his main rivals.

And finally (merciful God, make is stop!), on the stage's final sprint, Caleb "The Pocket Rocket" Ewan from Australia clipped the wheels of perennial green jersey winner Peter Sagan. Both went down, but whereas Sagan was able to quickly get up and finish the stage, Ewan is out of the Tour with a fractured collar bone:

So, some of the pre-race favorites are essentially out of realistic competition already. I haven't watched today's stage, yet but because it's a sprint stage, unless someone else went down or crashed out, the overall general classification probably hasn't changed much. Mathew van der Poel currently wears yellow, although he isn't expected to keep it once the Tour enters the Alps next week. With Roglič and Thomas both banged up and losing time, Chris Froome not in peak condition, and Pogačar in a bit of a hole, this looks like a huge opportunity for France's beloved Alaphillippe and Ecuador's Richard Carapaz, both of whom avoided yesterday's crashes and maintained or improved their overall race positions.

From the US, we once again don't really have any contenders this year. Now that Roglič is essentially out of realistic competition, this might free up his teammate Sepp Kuss to take some chances for a stage victory, but I have a feeling America will likely continue our post-Armstrong drought.

Any other fans out there with an intersecting Disney- Tour de France interest?

Last edited:

Love Ft Wilderness

My DH and I casually follow the tour every year. DH is rooting for American Brandon McNulty. He's moving up the list but not currently a contender. It's still early.

Geraint Thomas' shoulder was dislocated and they "popped it back in" so he could get back on the bike and ride to the finish with his team. These guys are tough!

Heppenheimer

Original Poster
I haven't seen yesterday's stage yet (wife wanted to watch Germany at UEFA yesterday, and I have it on DVR), but I couldn't avoid the headlines... Mark Cavendish, the Manx Missile is back! Great to hear that one of the most exciting sprinters of the last decade still has some race legs left in him. He probably won't break Eddy Mercx's record for Tour de France stage victories this year, but with Caleb Ewan now unfortunately out of the race, he has a good chance to rack up at least one or two more victories in this year's race.

Time trial today. Usually not the most exciting days of the Tour de France, although last year's was a doozy.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
I haven't seen yesterday's stage yet (wife wanted to watch Germany at UEFA yesterday, and I have it on DVR), but I couldn't avoid the headlines... Mark Cavendish, the Manx Missile is back! Great to hear that one of the most exciting sprinters of the last decade still has some race legs left in him. He probably won't break Eddy Mercx's record for Tour de France stage victories this year, but with Caleb Ewan now unfortunately out of the race, he has a good chance to rack up at least one or two more victories in this year's race.

Time trial today. Usually not the most exciting days of the Tour de France, although last year's was a doozy.
Rain today might make things exciting ( for us spectators anyway)

Heppenheimer

Original Poster
Looks like the French police found their suspect:

Some commentators initially suspected that she may have been German, due to the use of the words "Omi" and "Opi" on her sign, but the BBC has identified her as a French national.

There already seems to be a heated online debate about what, if any, punishment she deserves. One thing's for sure, though, she probably the most infamous person associated with the Tour de France since Lance Armstrong admitted to doping.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Looks like the French police found their suspect:

Some commentators initially suspected that she may have been German, due to the use of the words "Omi" and "Opi" on her sign, but the BBC has identified her as a French national.

There already seems to be a heated online debate about what, if any, punishment she deserves. One thing's for sure, though, she probably the most infamous person associated with the Tour de France since Lance Armstrong admitted to doping.
I've never actually watched the full race -- just some highlights only. I'm really surprised that they let the spectators line up on the road route, so closely to the bicyclists. I hope the officials come up with some stricter spacing rules between the riders, and spectators along the sides of the road.

Heppenheimer

Original Poster
Now that I've watched yesterday's stage on DVR... wow. Mark Cavendish is a phoenix. His career was virtually over a year ago, and now here he is with a new team and Tour de France stage win number 31 of his career. And he was a last-minute addition for this year's Tour.

Today, van der Poel keeps the yellow jersey, but Pogacar rode a brilliant time trial to almost take the GC. This kid is dangerous.

Heppenheimer

Original Poster
I've never actually watched the full race -- just some highlights only. I'm really surprised that they let the spectators line up on the road route, so closely to the bicyclists. I hope the officials come up with some stricter spacing rules between the riders, and spectators along the sides of the road.
Unfortunately, they can't reasonably police or put up barriers for the entire length of the stage, some of which can be up to 200 km in length through the French countryside. Barriers can even cause problems in themselves because sometimes the riders can get caught on them. Usually, most fans have enough sense (and sobriety) to maintain a proper distance. Sometimes they get a little too close on the mountain stages, but at least there the cyclists are moving slow enough that they have plenty of time to react:

CORVOS_00021678-083.jpg

Unfortunately, this is just a part of the sport. There really isn't a feasible way to control the fans beyond educating them and expecting a little bit of self-discipline. That, and prosecuting those who cause accidents through willful actions or extreme negligence to make an example of them.

Heppenheimer

Original Poster
Congratulations to Durango, Colorado's Sepp Kuss on winning a tough stage of the Tour de France yesterday. I can't remember the last time an American took a stage win in the Tour. That's quite a change from a few years ago when we barely had any riders taking part.

It was also nice seeing Michael Woods from Canada taking the King of the Mountains jersey, although he only wore it for a single day before relinquishing it again.

Heppenheimer

Original Poster
I have to say, this year's Tour has been somewhat of a disappointment. As much as I respect the talent of Tadej Pogačar, watching him take an almost insurmountable lead after the first week has more or less killed the usual drama. He has so dominated the competition that the usually exciting mountain stages have been reduced to just waiting for all of his rivals to crumple, rather than watching a more interesting battle of tactics and endurance. It looked like Jonas Vingegaard finally cracked Pogačar on the climb up Mont Ventoux, but it ended up being for nothing, because Pogačar caught up with him on the descent to the stage finish. Maybe if Primož Roglič hadn't crashed out, Team Ineos hadn't gotten so banged up in the first two stages and/or they brought Egan Bernal, Mark Hirschi was racing against and not for Pogačar or if Chris Froome had regained his old pre-injury form, the race may have been closer, but as it is, this year's Tour de France may as well be called Tadej Pogačar's French Turkey Shoot. Even the usually electric Julian Alaphilippe hasn't managed anything exciting since stage 1.

Now, the return of Mark Cavendish has been an unexpected pleasure. He clearly is having a great time and absolutely loves his team, but I suspect he wouldn't be on the cusp of breaking Eddy Merckx's stage win record if Caleb Ewan and Peter Segan had not both crashed out of the race. Here's hoping he manages to take the record. With two sprint stages still to come and most of his competition decimated, it looks likely.

Last edited:

Love Ft Wilderness

I have to say, this year's Tour has been somewhat of a disappointment. As much as I respect the talent of Tadej Pogačar, watching him take an almost insurmountable lead after the first week has more or less killed the usual drama. He has so dominated the competition that the usually exciting mountain stages have been reduced to just waiting for all of his rivals to crumpbe, rather than watching a more interesting battle of tactics and endurance. It looked like Jonas Vingegaard finally cracked Pogačar on the climb up Mont Ventoux, but it ended up being for nothing, because Pogačar caught up with him on the descent to the stage finish. Maybe if Primož Roglič hadn't crashed out, Team Ineos hadn't gotten so banged up in the first two stages and/or they brought Egan Bernal, Mark Hirschi was racing against and not for Pogačar or if Chris Froome had regained his old pre-injury form, the race may have been closer, but as it is, this year's Tour de France may as well be called Tadej Pogačar's French Turkey Shoot. Even the usually electric Julian Alaphilippe hasn't managed anything exciting since stage 1.

Now, the return of Mark Cavendish has been an unexpected pleasure. He clearly is having a great time and absolutely loves his team, but I suspect he wouldn't be on the cusp of breaking Eddy Merckx's stage win record if Caleb Ewan and Peter Segan had not both crashed out of the race. Here's hoping he manages to take the record. With two sprint stages still to come and most of his competition decimated, it looks likely.
Have to agree with you. I still enjoy the scenery. Brandon Mc Nulty has been refreshing to watch even if he's just a domestique for UAE. It's his first tour and I think he's doing great.

GimpYancIent

I have to say, this year's Tour has been somewhat of a disappointment. As much as I respect the talent of Tadej Pogačar, watching him take an almost insurmountable lead after the first week has more or less killed the usual drama. He has so dominated the competition that the usually exciting mountain stages have been reduced to just waiting for all of his rivals to crumpbe, rather than watching a more interesting battle of tactics and endurance. It looked like Jonas Vingegaard finally cracked Pogačar on the climb up Mont Ventoux, but it ended up being for nothing, because Pogačar caught up with him on the descent to the stage finish. Maybe if Primož Roglič hadn't crashed out, Team Ineos hadn't gotten so banged up in the first two stages and/or they brought Egan Bernal, Mark Hirschi was racing against and not for Pogačar or if Chris Froome had regained his old pre-injury form, the race may have been closer, but as it is, this year's Tour de France may as well be called Tadej Pogačar's French Turkey Shoot. Even the usually electric Julian Alaphilippe hasn't managed anything exciting since stage 1.

It appears the stage is set for Cavendish to have the opportunity to break the Merckx record in Paris.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom