Any Theories as to why Disney frequently reduces the size and scope of new projects in the parks?

JIMINYCR

NOTHING but nothing ever gets built as originally planned. Theres always cuts, downsizing, reconfiguration, on and on. The only time I've seen things built larger than planned was when a friend of mine was an estimator for Bath Iron Works here in Maine, a ship building company. The Govt kept adding things in to make the plans more extensive...and expensive.... at a larger cost to us taxpayers of course.

eliza61nyc

New construction costs money and longterm operational costs

Talk big...then whittle it down

lol what's funny Sir, is my cutie-pie and I would do this with vacations. We pick a place and then we start pricing out the "living Large" edition. Then we get a look at the price tag, have a "come to Jesus" moment and start whittling down. lol do we really need a stretch limo to the airport???

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
lol what's funny Sir, is my cutie-pie and I would do this with vacations. We pick a place and then we start pricing out the "living Large" edition. Then we get a look at the price tag, have a "come to Jesus" moment and start whittling down. lol do we really need a stretch limo to the airport???

Right....but that’s your money.

Iger and chapek aren’t spending their money - and there’s an endless supply of that to go around.

Trackmaster

The revenue at a new restaurant is almost 100% cannibalistic. Guests are a captive audience and they have to eat somewhere, so all you're doing is shifting revenue from legacy F&B to new F&B. Net zero gain.

Real F&B growth comes from attendance growth, so new restaurants are best viewed through the lens of how they support other meaningful expansions that actually drive incremental clicks.

I don't see at this way at all. Its increasing the size of the pie. People are free to go grocery shopping, eat off site, choose over the counter cheaper options, etc. Eat less. Or... the nuclear option: say "hey, I don't desire to eat at any of these places, and I don't want to starve myself. Ergo, I can't go on my vacation here. Let's stay somewhere else entirely."

So its all part of an ecosystem. You may say "I can't afford this new project for a restaurant that's actually of a halfway decent quality." I say "Wait, a second there mister, you can't afford NOT to go through with such a project."

Prince-1

Oh that's an easy answer:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Money.

lazyboy97o

Disney does not typically utilize the traditional design-bid-build project delivery method on new attractions and large projects. Many projects employ some level of fast-track project delivery, meaning construction starts while design work continues (some erroneously refer to this as design-build). Disney also procures far more of the building materials compared to a more typical construction project. There is also enough consistent work at Disney and in the immediate area for the cost of work to be well understood.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Disney does not typically utilize the traditional design-bid-build project delivery method on new attractions and large projects. Many projects employ some level of fast-track project delivery, meaning construction starts while design work continues (some erroneously refer to this as design-build). Disney also procures far more of the building materials compared to a more typical construction project. There is also enough consistent work at Disney and in the immediate area for the cost of work to be well understood.

Indeed...doing “low bid” - as If they were a public entity that requires it - would cost more in headaches and logistics that picking a preferred contractor anyway.

Disstevefan1

Blame Dianey's bean counters! The imagineers have these wonderful plans then the Disney accountants come in with their spreadsheets and begin cutting. Just like Walt and his brother used to fight over cost VS quality.

We could also indirectly blame the shareholder! EVERY DECISION made at Disney is to maximize shareholder value! Shareholder value is number one. The guest experience is further down the list.

lazyboy97o

Blame Dianey's bean counters! The imagineers have these wonderful plans then the Disney accountants come in with their spreadsheets and begin cutting. Just like Walt and his brother used to fight over cost VS quality.

We could also indirectly blame the shareholder! EVERY DECISION made at Disney is to maximize shareholder value! Shareholder value is number one. The guest experience is further down the list.
Walt Disney Imagineering is very much to blame these days. The budgets they are given are obscene and more than enough. Pixar Pier cost more than Expedition Everest. That isn’t a problem of accountants cutting costs.

eliza61nyc

Not a simple direct line, Stock value includes a lot more than just the parks. How much of Disney value comes from the parks? Also I keep asking this but if guest were so dissatisfied how are the parks consistently packed?? someone, somewhere must like something about their Disney vacations?

Heppenheimer

Walt Disney Imagineering is very much to blame these days. The budgets they are given are obscene and more than enough. Pixar Pier cost more than Expedition Everest. That isn’t a problem of accountants cutting costs.
I'm not doubting there were cost overruns for Pixar Pier, but the two probably aren't an apples-to-apples comparison. You would have to account for inflation (2006 vs 2018) , and the general overall higher cost of everything in California vs. Florida.

lazyboy97o

I'm not doubting there were cost overruns for Pixar Pier, but the two probably aren't an apples-to-apples comparison. You would have to account for inflation (2006 vs 2018) , and the general overall higher cost of everything in California vs. Florida.
Neither of which is a mystery. They shouldn’t even be close.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Like safari Joe??

The truth is somewhere in the middle...imagineers aren’t independent “artists”...

Occasionally build something on time and under budget

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom