Any problems with returning with Pirate gun's on airplane?

Dizz Knee Fan

Original Poster
Can anyone tell me if they have had any problems returning on an airplane with Pirate's of the Carribean "toys"? Should I pack them or bring them with us in the carry on? Thanks with any advice.

Last year we packed the frontierland guns and pirate toys in a box that Disney had given to us when we purchased the items. When I got to the airport, I told the screeners what was in the boxes. She thanked me and said don't worry we see alot of those items purchased by children. But she did thank me for telling her. The box was opened but nothing was missing.

withasmile

don't put it in a carry-on!

when you get online to get your boarding passes and check your luggage theres a sign saying where to put and not put them.

WDWKat26

There actually are stickers now on the guns saying that they MUST be checked as luggage, and not used as a carry on. :)

tigger1968

Check it in your luggage. Last year my neice carried hers in her carry on bag, after her parents told her to pack it in a suitcase and assumed she did. TSA actually saw it in her bag at x-ray, and notified the airport police. The 4 police officers whe responded to the "person with a gun" call thought it was rediculous. The TSA people were total a-holes about it. Her father asked one finally if he would mind explaining to his 6 year old why he was taking away her toy gun, and he just shrugged his shoulders and walked off. The officers instructed her parents the they could return to the airline counter and check it, as this happened about 10 times a day, or she could surrender the "weapon". The people at the airline were also very accomodating, telling us that it happens frequently so they know what to do about it. It would have been nice to see TSA actually put some effort in to addressing a problem that I would guess is very specific to Orlando International Airport. We overheard one of the officers as they were leaving say, loud enough that the TSA people could hear, " I can't believe I just got called to arrest a six year old!" So apparently there is or was some tension between the two departments around this issue. For what it's worth, the pirate pistol she bought did NOT have a sticker on it. I know they carried them in the past however. Good to know Disney is doing that again.

bgraham34

I personally would pack them because I have seen on taken away because kids were running around the terminal with them and Security took them away.

Melerella

When I went to Vegas in like..1997 my little brother had a fake gun from Treasure Island that my grandparents bought him and he decided to carry it with him on the plane...bad idea. We had to leave it at the airport ; (. And that was before 9/11...so just to be safe I'd pack it in your luggage instead of carry-on. :wave:

freediverdude

If they see it in the carry on lugguge or see a kid with it while going through the security, they should just check the gun to make sure it's a toy gun, and then put it back in the bag. What is the big deal about this?

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
freediverdude said:
If they see it in the carry on lugguge or see a kid with it while going through the security, they should just check the gun to make sure it's a toy gun, and then put it back in the bag. What is the big deal about this?
Even though the gun is a toy, if it looks real enough, it could cause a panic and disorder on the plane. Sort of like yelling fire in a theatre. No fire, but everyone freaks....

barnum42

Just decided to check with a couple of UK carriers - British Airways and First (a holiday company charter airline). Both have a ban on the carrying of toy guns:

For Bristish Airways banned list:
http://www.britishairways.com/travel/bagrest/public/en_gb
In the banned list they have "Explosives - fireworks, flares, toy guns and caps"

For First
http://www.firstchoice.co.uk/info/travelinfo/flyingbaggage.html
Same things not allowed aboard the craft: "Explosives - including fireworks, flares and toy gun caps"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom