Scott Powers | Sentinel Staff Writer January 26, 2008 Article tools

• atools-email.gif
  • atools-printer.gif
    Print
  • atools-reprints.gif
    Reprints
  • Post comment
  • Text size:

A widow from New York has sued Disney Cruse Line in federal court, blaming the company for her husband's death from injuries he suffered during a Mediterranean cruise last summer.

Marilyn Piazza alleges that her husband, Santo L. Piazza, died because a poorly designed threshold in a bathroom doorway caused him to fall; because the ship's medical staff initially misdiagnosed his injuries; and because efforts to evacuate him to a hospital for emergency medical treatment were slow, and poorly planned and executed. Santo Piazza died Aug. 14 at age 78.

Marilyn Piazza filed the lawsuit Thursday on behalf of her husband's estate in U.S. District Court in Orlando. Her complaint identifies the cruise line's corporate entity, Magical Cruise Co. Ltd., and Disney Cruise Vacations as defendants. She alleges that they were responsible for Santo Piazza's death, and her suit seeks more than $75,000.

Her complaint states that her husband was injured at the beginning of an 11-day cruise out of Barcelona, Spain, aboard the Disney Magic. Marilyn and Santa Piazza were taking the cruise with their daughter and her family.

The suit says that Santo Piazza tripped on the threshold as he stepped into his cabin's bathroom. He fell, and his right side struck the bathtub, causing "catastrophic internal injuries."

He immediately went to the shipboard health-services department, where he was given a Tylenol. Later that day, he returned to the health-services department after he vomited and experienced shortness of breath and severe pain.

During his second evaluation, the ship's doctor diagnosed him with fractured ribs and a punctured lung, and said Santo Piazza required immediate evacuation and hospitalization.

The suit alleges that the Piazzas waited five hours before the Disney Magic altered its course toward Cagliari, Sardinia. Then ship personnel put the injured man in an inflatable raft and transported him through eight miles of choppy waves to the shore, "crashing and smashing Mr. Piazza up and down constantly."

Santo Piazza died from his injuries 17 days later, according to the complaint.

A Disney Cruise Line spokeswoman would not comment.

echoscot

I think she may be upset that the ship's Warp Engines were malfunctioning so they were unable to exceed light speed in altering their course...

"We've got to get this man to shore! Scotty get me power know!"

"I don't think she can take much more, captain. She's givin all shes got!"

Eyorefan

I think she may be upset that the ship's Warp Engines were malfunctioning so they were unable to exceed light speed in altering their course...

"We've got to get this man to shore! Scotty get me power know!"

"I don't think she can take much more, captain. She's givin all shes got!"

It also probably has something to do with the fact that when he first went to seek medical attention they just gave him Tylenol and sent him on his way. Perhaps they should have actually examined him the first time.

Of course, hindsight is always 20/20.

echoscot

Very true, I was just making a jest. However, it used to be common practice that no matter what your complaint, if you reported to an RN or LPN or Doctor, didn't matter, they had to take vital signs to be sure there wasn't a more serious problem(ie pulse, bp, etc).

Wonder if they did that. I've found that isn't as common as it used to be with First aid stations and Doctor's Offices.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom