Annual Passholders + MagicBand = Angry guest

minniemickeyfan

So we're currently at WDW (Poly). Last month we purchased AP's and got the exchange certificates, we immediately added the exchange certificates to our My Disney Experience so we could register for FP+. When we linked the exchange certificate to the MDE, it said to not mix them up (ie: Exchange Certificate 1 with me, 2 with my wife etc). Well... they got jumbled in my wallet and I couldn't figure out whose was whose.
Anyhow... I went to the TTC to exchange them for AP's... told the person at guest relations that I mixed them up. She was somehow able to look it up and put the AP's on the Magic Bands for us. I wanted the paper AP's too so I could try to double dip on Fastpasses but she wouldn't give them to us (which really sucks, limiting us to only 3 fastpasses per day and they are tiered)... She said the AP's are on the bands, I don't need a paper pass. Bummer but I figured that's the way things are headed.

Fast forward to me making a purchase today in a store. They asked if we were AP's for the discount, we said yes... they said they needed to see the card. We told them they were on the magic bands. They couldn't look that information up and didn't believe us. After arguing for a few minutes they say they'll let it slide JUST THIS ONE TIME.

So far I've called Disney and spoken with the concierge desk at my resort without resolution of this issue. Everyone just gives me the run-around how their systems can't talk to each other and I'll need to go back to TTC or Guest Relations at one of the parks tomorrow. Either way this seems like a pretty crappy way to treat an Annual Passholder.
I asked at MK today when making a purchase with my AP how this would work with just a MB and he seemed puzzled as well and guessed that the system would automatically know and give you the discount. I'm not counting on this. I still have my paper AP's and using a MB now as I'm staying on property and let me tell you the MB has been a problem with ticket media and getting into the room for us. FP+ however has had no problems.

jlsHouston

I asked at MK today when making a purchase with my AP how this would work with just a MB and he seemed puzzled as well and guessed that the system would automatically know and give you the discount. I'm not counting on this. I still have my paper AP's and using a MB now as I'm staying on property and let me tell you the MB has been a problem with ticket media and getting into the room for us. FP+ however has had no problems.

Well that is interesting to hear because I had similar issues at BWV in November. Our MB's worked just fine at the park, it was some sort of link between the software clouds for AP's and DVC and resort reservations that we had non stop issues with the MB's working for charging or opening the doors to the room.

I guess I figured by now they had worked thru those software issues but I guess not.

jakeman

I asked at MK today when making a purchase with my AP how this would work with just a MB and he seemed puzzled as well and guessed that the system would automatically know and give you the discount.
Quoting this just to re-emphasize that this is not correct (not your fault you were given wrong information).

If your AP is linked to a MB then you still need to produce the AP (and in some cases photo ID) for the AP discount. Same for DVC discounts.

StarWarsGirl

Honestly, I would have insisted on the card. I didn't mind it for getting in my room, but for APs, I feel like we NEED the cards. I (or one of my parents) would have insisted on getting a card in addition, even if it meant talking to a manager. I also had a back up credit card just in case for when I was charging (it was the same one that was on my room). Especially for table service meals I felt the credit card was more convenient.

The whole system just irritates me because they tried to fix a system that wasn't broke in the first place.

StarWarsGirl

So I take it you have used the system and had issues?
Yes. I just got back on Saturday. My friend purchased her pass separately and I had issues making FP+ on the last day. Thankfully I could make them for me and I called MDE and they transferred it over to her. She also had issues getting the Magic Band that was supposedly for the second reservation (we had two linked reservations so we had two MB sets) to work to open the door at one point. The Magic Band that was supposed to be for the other reservation worked to open the door or the second reservation. It's annoying to have to pull the AP out of my wallet to show them even though I pay by Magic Band. Oh yeah, one of the connecting pieces on the MB broke so I almost lost it on Space Mountain (another reason why I will always insist on a backup card). It's convenient when it works. FP+ is my biggest pet peeve. Although since both of us had cards, we could double dip, which was nice. We usually only got one additional FP (except for the day we went in MK pretty early and got four additional ones total for the day) per day, though. Oh, and the really big issue: speed or reading FP+s. We had to wait a full ten minutes to get up to the reader on Everest because it takes so long to scan each individual MB. They need something where only one person has to scan and the entire group can go in to speed things up.

minniemickeyfan

Quoting this just to re-emphasize that this is not correct (not your fault you were given wrong information).

If your AP is linked to a MB then you still need to produce the AP (and in some cases photo ID) for the AP discount. Same for DVC discounts.
I didn't believe it, he was taking a guess. Overall on my trip it seems a lot of cast members don't know what's going on with these magic bands. I can only hope it gets better.

minniemickeyfan

Well that is interesting to hear because I had similar issues at BWV in November. Our MB's worked just fine at the park, it was some sort of link between the software clouds for AP's and DVC and resort reservations that we had non stop issues with the MB's working for charging or opening the doors to the room.

I guess I figured by now they had worked thru those software issues but I guess not.
Not at all! Had so many problems getting them to work on our room door. Didn't have any issues though with FP+.

jlsHouston

Not at all! Had so many problems getting them to work on our room door. Didn't have any issues though with FP+.

This was pretty much my experience in November too. The FP+ system and the MB's were fine in the park. But issues galore with my second reservation and the MG's.
Fortunately I was at BW, and the front desk manager there is not only a smart guy but really pro active and he fixed it where at least I had my charging ability with the KttW cards..then he credited me $ 50 on on my room bill which was unexpected. I can't complain at all about the resort making every attempt to resolve the issues I had.
But as the other posters have mentioned, CM's familiarity with how MM+ worked with all the different scenarios ranged from accurate to zero.

skimbob

I just got back late Sunday. I renewed my Premier Pass and they gave me a card since I need it for Disneyland trips. I found out from a CM that in order to get my discounts I had to show them my annual pass since the system could not detect them on the band. The biggest issue I had was getting into my room at Wilderness Lodge. Fortunately they asked me at check in if I would like a key and thankfully I said yes. They told me you have to put your band over the lock a certain way. I took the stupid thing off my wrist and tried every angle imaginable with no luck. It did open the first time I went to my room but after that I was on my own. I like the Fastpass+ options I had there are just a few bugs they still need to work out. I think the system will be of great benefit eventually. Like anything else new it takes time to work the kinks out.

CMC2920

Hey guys! So I see a lot of speculation and confusion about what is required as an AP in the new MyMagic+ system. Here's a quick rundown:

1. ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS carry your plastic RFID-enabled annual pass—even if you have the MagicBand. I cannot stress this enough, and here's why:
a. Technically, MyMagic+ is still in the testing phase, and there are a large amount of bugs in the system that still are being resolved. AT ANY TIME, the system could possibly "remove" your ticket from your MagicBand (one of the most common bugs for APs at the moment), and the only possible way to avoid going to GR is having your plastic card. If you don't have it, they will IMMEDIATELY send you to GR.
b. The ONLY way to receive AP discounts is by having the plastic card. Disney does not yet have a way to identify APs solely by the MagicBand
c. A vacation planner or guest relations cast member is ALWAYS supposed to give you a plastic card copy of your AP (not paper, because these are no longer valid). If they refuse to, IMMEDIATELY request to speak to a manager, because they are not doing their job right

2. NEVER loan your AP (MB or plastic card) to a friend or relative for discounts. The CMs have a way of knowing this, and your admission rights will be permanently revoked without financial compensation.

3. Remember to use the same finger at every park, every time when entering. The "finger scanners" that are used are actually biometric readers—essentially a tiny camera takes a picture of your finger, and the size and shape are translated into a numerical value. THEY ARE NOT FINGERPRINT SCANNERS! If this were the case, you'd be able to lay any finger down on the scanner and it would work, but as many of you probably know, you can't do this. So be sure to use the same finger every time, and you will be just fine!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom