Annual Passholder: Bus vs. Driving to Parks

StarWarsGirl

We typically don't have a car, but when we do, it depends on the park and the plans for the day. MK - always bus. Usually we're at an Epcot resort, so we don't drive to DHS or Epcot. AK we usually drive. Water parks - we don't take the buses ever. Lyft or drive.

JohnD

Original Poster
That's how you know it was a good thread to start!

For the record, I found I liked driving to the parks. I think if I want to rope drop, I'll always drive. If I get a late start and feel like showing up when I'm ready, I'll take the bus.

Goofyernmost

That's fine if you think that the hotels are too expensive. But just don't kid yourself into thinking that the hotel costs and the parking costs are separate. Just instantly add the parking cost to the cost of the hotel, and make your decision from there. Let's say that the room costs $300 per night -- would you freak out over a one time 8.33% price increase? Perhaps, but you'd probably get over it. Might just be inflation or increased demand. In fact - the parking charge is probably superior to you as a consumer over the price increase, as the price increases will scale and build upon each other time (like the way inflation works), but with the parking charge bullet already shot, Disney can't build off that price increase without it being a big shock to the consumer.

Either way, a rational consumer just look at the final net cost of the hotel/parking package. Not get emotional about the parking charge. Or just react to the market, and plan on arriving on-site without a car. If you live in Florida, just get an AP and cherry pick your days -- that works better than the extra time you get from the hotel perks. If you live out of state, you might be better off flying anyway. Central Florida is tough to drive to, unless you live in Georgia, you're going to be driving a very long time just to get to Orlando for the right to pay to park. And if you're flying in just to rent a car... I can't comprehend why you would do that at Disney.
I'm sorry that I wasn't able to convey what the difference physiologically between the two or how people will blame Disney for higher costs with smaller perks, but, it is much deeper then a $25.00 charge. It is the complete soaking of us that has me upset. I would happily pay for parking if the room costs wasn't unreasonably high. But, to charge those rates and then add to the cost to someone that has gotten there by using a vehicle instead of the Disney Prison Bus just makes me angry. And guess what, I only stayed onsite once anyway (still had a vehicle) so I don't have a dog in this race, but, I also don't understand how people think it is all worth it. I cannot see it, to those that can, fine, just not me.

I have traveled by car form Vermont from 1983 to 2011 (with a couple of exceptions). Since then I moved to NC and it's just a days trip to Orlando from here. Even on the few occasions where I did fly in I rented a car. I didn't go to Florida just to rent a car, I don't even understand that statement. I do that because I refuse to be at the mercy of any business and I don't care if it all started with a Mouse or not. I find that area has a huge amount of interesting and exciting things to do that don't have big ears. I enjoy exploring and finding my way around and like I said, I don't want to be welded into my itinerary. You want to fly in and take the free (yea right) bus to WDW, good for you, but, I don't and to be penalized because I don't buy into it is just not something that I am going to accept as OK. The aerial pictures that I posted a few days ago were from a helicopter tour I took from offsite. Can you do that onsite without incurring more additional cost over and above the cost of the tour itself? I've been to Sea World, Universal, Kennedy Space Center, The sunshine bridge in Tampa, Bock Towers, Silver Springs, beaches on the east and west coast and I even used Kissimmee as a base and took a two day excursion driving through the Key's to Key West, crossed the Everglades and through the Orange Groves with the heady smell of orange blossoms, the Sunken Gardens in St. Peterburg and the old Cyprus Gardens (now Legoland). Oh, yea and every trip I even spent days in WDW. I have also gone mostly to WDW when time was limited, but, to me the journey is as much fun as the destination.

Last edited:

Trackmaster

I'm sorry that I wasn't able to convey what the difference physiologically between the two or how people will blame Disney for higher costs with smaller perks, but, it is much deeper then a $25.00 charge. It is the complete soaking of us that has me upset. I would happily pay for parking if the room costs wasn't unreasonably high. But, to charge those rates and then add to the cost to someone that has gotten there by using a vehicle instead of the Disney Prison Bus just makes me angry. And guess what, I only stayed onsite once anyway (still had a vehicle) so I don't have a dog in this race, but, I also don't understand how people think it is all worth it. I cannot see it, to those that can, fine, just not me.

I have traveled by car form Vermont from 1983 to 2011 (with a couple of exceptions). Since then I moved to NC and it's just a days trip to Orlando from here. Even on the few occasions where I did fly in I rented a car. I didn't go to Florida just to rent a car, I don't even understand that statement. I do that because I refuse to be at the mercy of any business and I don't care if it all started with a Mouse or not. I find that area has a huge amount of interesting and exciting things to do that don't have big ears. I enjoy exploring and finding my way around and like I said, I don't want to be welded into my itinerary. You want to fly in and take the free (yea right) bus to WDW, good for you, but, I don't and to be penalized because I don't buy into it is just not something that I am going to accept as OK. The aerial pictures that I posted a few days ago were from a helicopter tour I took from offsite. Can you do that onsite without incurring more additional cost over and above the cost of the tour itself? I've been to Sea World, Universal, Kennedy Space Center, The sunshine bridge in Tampa, Bock Towers, Silver Springs, beaches on the east and west coast and I even used Kissimmee as a base and took a two day excursion driving through the Key's to Key West, crossed the Everglades through the Orange Groves with the heady smell of orange blossoms, the Sunken Gardens in St. Peterburg and the old Cyprus Gardens (now Legoland). Oh, yea and every trip I even spent days in WDW. I have also gone mostly to WDW when time was limited, but, to me the journey is as much fun as the destination.

You're preaching the choir: I'd never stay on site at Disney. For one thing, I live in Tampa now, but even before I lived in FL, I thought that it made sense to stay off site and drive in. Point is that an extra $25 a day isn't going to make a big deal. It just comes down to if you prefer staying on site, or if its not worth it to you to pay extra. Personal preference. When you can get a great Airbnb for $30 a night, or pay $150 a night for a crappy Disney hotel... or $500 a night for a great Disney hotel, its no longer about the money, its about your preference to get the whole Disney experience. Even if you're not into Airbnb, you can get crazy cheap hotels around Orlando and Kissimmee.

Darth_Wes

You might have to go back and read some of the context. Much of what I was saying was a response to Darth Wes and maybe a few other people. I wasn't necessarily responding to you and your situation.

Exact quote from Darth Wes:

"Since they started charging for parking at the resorts, we will only stay off property. Currently enjoying our 3rd trip as I write this since they started charging for parking. That's about 3000 to 4000 bucks per year that they no longer receive from me because of that choice."

That's what I call irrational economics. Basing a $4K decision based on $200 in parking fees. Not that I'm criticizing him as a person or insulting him, but I was saying that in business, you have to be cognoscente about pricing strategies that may be revenue neutral but rub customers the wrong way. If Darth Wes was completely rational and devoid of emotion, he would see the $25 per day as no different than a modest price increase.

I read a book a few years back....well, I have read a few since then, but this particular book is applicable to this conversation. There is a distinction between good profit and bad profit in business. Bad profit refers to charges that a company may impose that causes some harm or distaste to their customers. For example, baggage fees at airports are considered bad profit. While those fees could be built into the costs of tickets, they have chosen to add them to baggage only. This creates a bad customer experience and distaste for said company.

As an AP, I do not pay parking charges at the parks. If I stay on property, however, I do have to pay for parking at the resorts. Something I have not had to do in my five years as an AP. Yes, the $10-$25 seems inconsequential, but considering that the cost of my annual passes has also risen over 30% since my first year, it is insulting that a charge of this nature be imposed. You're calling me irrational or butthurt does not magically change the fact that this is bad profit. It is extremely rational behavior for me to vote with my dollars. That's how capitalism works. Plus, I can stay off property for about half of what it would cost me to stay on property...even without the parking fees.

While I still give them a significant amount of money each year, their bad profit charge on resort parking (they're punishing me for not flying in because I am within driving distance), causes me to pause when handing over additional monies. You say it costs them less when I stay off property, that is not logical. They want me to stay on property because when I do, I spend significantly more money for the cost of the rooms, I eat every meal on property, and I drink adult beverages at their rates.

That being said, I do not fault any business for attempting to increase profits for their stockholders. I would just prefer a more customer-centric way of doing it. I believe they are tripping over a million dollars to pick up a 10 spot.

Trackmaster

I read a book a few years back....well, I have read a few since then, but this particular book is applicable to this conversation. There is a distinction between good profit and bad profit in business. Bad profit refers to charges that a company may impose that causes some harm or distaste to their customers. For example, baggage fees at airports are considered bad profit. While those fees could be built into the costs of tickets, they have chosen to add them to baggage only. This creates a bad customer experience and distaste for said company.

As an AP, I do not pay parking charges at the parks. If I stay on property, however, I do have to pay for parking at the resorts. Something I have not had to do in my five years as an AP. Yes, the $10-$25 seems inconsequential, but considering that the cost of my annual passes has also risen over 30% since my first year, it is insulting that a charge of this nature be imposed. You're calling me irrational or butthurt does not magically change the fact that this is bad profit. It is extremely rational behavior for me to vote with my dollars. That's how capitalism works. Plus, I can stay off property for about half of what it would cost me to stay on property...even without the parking fees.

While I still give them a significant amount of money each year, their bad profit charge on resort parking (they're punishing me for not flying in because I am within driving distance), causes me to pause when handing over additional monies. You say it costs them less when I stay off property, that is not logical. They want me to stay on property because when I do, I spend significantly more money for the cost of the rooms, I eat every meal on property, and I drink adult beverages at their rates.

That being said, I do not fault any business for attempting to increase profits for their stockholders. I would just prefer a more customer-centric way of doing it. I believe they are tripping over a million dollars to pick up a 10 spot.

Let me clarify, I wasn't saying "butthurt" or anything in the pejorative. When I said "irrational" I didn't mean anything negative or insulting towards you. I was just talking about an economic phenomenon. And I tried to soften my words by saying that most consumers feel this way too.

And in regards to baggage fees: they're not assessed to make extra money, they're assessed to deter customers from checking bags, as the airline does incur a cost to check them. However, I think that airlines should charge as much, or even more to carry a bag on (but still maintaining the free "personal item" that goes under the seat) -- as carry-ons do create external dis-economies for all passengers. Essentially, they lead to longer boarding and exit times. Which in turn hurts the airline, as its fewer trips that the aircraft can take in a day.

I know that airlines are getting stingy, but if you look on the bright side, they are getting to be very cheap and affordable and people of all income levels. They used to be a luxury only for the upper classes, but they're much cheap than taking a train now, and can even be as cheap taking a bus.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom