Animal Kingdom Lodge

stephbreynolds

Original Poster
I just booked the Animal Kingdom Lodge for this spring through the Disney special. I've always stayed at the Coronado Springs Resort. I stayed there's the year it opened and haven't wanted to change. What things do I need to know about AKL?

Sordicampos

One thing that might happen is that you won't want to go back to Coronado... lol
Just kidding, I'm sure you will love AKL! ;)

I think you shouldn't miss having Breakfast at Boma and I would try to do the AKL Restaurant Tours. This culinary tour is through Boma and Jiko and it departs daily at 4pm from the Boma podium. It is free and it includes food samples from both restaurants.

I would also suggest asking the front desk for a copy of "The Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge African Art Collection". There are many treasures at AKL. The lodge is home to the largest collection of African Art outside of the African Continent, with about 380 museum-quality art pieces. If you are into art, you will be amazed. At Zawadi Marketplace, a great shop at the lodge, besides the typical stuff, you will find African carvings, sculpture and other art.

You may also ask the front desk for the clue sheet for finding hidden Mickeys. It is called Hidden Mickey Safari.

Don't forget to ask to use the night vision goggles in the viewing area near the bonfire.

I don't know if you have a savannah overlook room. If not, don't worry too much! At each wing, there is a public outside space with chairs tables and rockers to watch the animals. There are also great spots and lookouts throughout the lodge.

Victoria Falls lounge is a nice place to relax and have a drink.

www.aklresort.com is a website dedicated to AKL.

Last edited:

Swissmiss

Premium Member
In addition to the previous post - strike up conversations with the CMs who are there to tell you about their home country and take time to eat at Sanaa (at Kidani).

BoarderPhreak

Oh, you're going to LOVE AKL. Coronado is nice, as far as moderates go - but there's just NO comparison to AKL!

Be sure to check out the various lounges and eat at Sanaa!

tigger1968

Definitely plan to spend time exploring the resort. It's amazing. Eat at Boma and Jiko both if you can. Two of my favorites.

Oh...and giraffes. They have giraffes. :D

mouse_luv

The animals are the best. The giraffes interacting with their caretakers can sometimes be pretty amusing. :) I stayed at AKV-Kidani for the first time in Sept with a Savanna view. I didn't think I was going to like AKL but I fell in love and can't wait to stay there again. :cat:

coachwnh

In the Parks
No
Free cookie decorating in Boma each afternoon (although at times we did this in Jiko). I think its at 1 pm each day. Ask when you check in. And its not just for kids!

IMG_2661.jpg

IMG_2660.JPG

luis71091

This resort is one of the best experiences Disney has to offer. Every inch of the AKL tells a story, so make sure to take the free tour of the property. It's pretty amazing how much detail they put into this resort! I also recommend eating at Sanaa.

Gaston's gal

AK is the only resort that we have to plan an entire day at just for my kids to do all of the wonderful activities. They can't get enough of that resort!

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Our last stay was the 4th July week. It was very hot and we retreated to resort by noon and not returning to parks until evening. The pool is always a nice retreat.

Allow extra bus travel time especially at times of year when the DVC is crowded. We always allow a few taxi trips when we are just too tired to wait on transportation back, great with MK, launch to GF and have taxi'd back and also for DTD. The worst of the bus commutes.

And if you have children beware of the bedframe. Those foot legs protrude and have sent many kids seeking first aid for skinned knees from their falls.

My favorite resort is POR overall but something about early morning coffee out on the balconey is great and the QS restaurant is close for everyone, has some excellent choices and it is right off the pool deck an added bonus.

Enjoy.

lebeau

We stayed their on our honeymoon when I was a complete Disney novice. It's a beautiful resort. Just relax and enjoy it. Take in the views. You don't need to spring for a savanna view if you want to save a few bucks. As others have said, the locale is not centrally located. So bus trips to anywhere other than AK and the water parks will take a little longer than usual. Better than average dining options and pool. Just explore.

JasonDeyoung

Awesome resort, I just booked a week stay there as well for the first of May. Enjoy your trip, you'll love the resort

Last edited:

MickeyMomV

We stayed 6 days in a savanna view room and it was absolutely incredible!!!! My son was 7 at the time and to see the look in his eyes when he woke up to see giraffes walking in the savanna out side our room was priceless. Most all of the deluxe hotels have their up sides but this one, IMO tops them all!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom