Animal Kingdom Lodge vs Wilderness Lodge

SteveUK

I have been looking at the best hotels for my planned trip in oct/nov this year. I have been offered some prices for 14 nights that seem quite good. The prices show that AKL would be about £400 (around $750) cheaper than WL. I prefer WL, but I wanted some advice. I think WL is nicer, but is it £400 nicer?

What does everybody think? Maybe somebody who has stayed at both can help?

Pioneer Hall

Odd that the prices are so different. Make sure you are comparing the same types of rooms. Standard rooms at both resorts cost the same price. If you can't get the price down at WL, then I would go over to AKL. Sure the WL gives you a few more advantages, but it isn't worth that extra price.

Upvote 0

lentesta

Premium Member
Having just stayed at the WL, I prefer the AKL. The rooms at the WL overlooking the lobby are noisy. The WL is more of a really nice moderate, IMHO, than a deluxe.

Len

Upvote 0

Iakona

We just spent 11 nights at AKL and 1 at WL (flight cancelled and we thought we would check out WL). We fell in love with AKL. WL did not impress us during our short stay. The wall paper was tearing, there was rust in many spots in the bathroom, our room was very noisy (both from other rooms and traffic). The geyser and pool area at WL are very nice, but in my family’s opinion it does not compare to the complete escape you feel at AKL. Also, the bus rides were prompt, plentiful and fairly quick so we never felt we were too far away from the parks.

_________
"If you're walking on thin ice, you might as well dance."

Upvote 0

Ringo8n24

Wilderness Lodge is my favorite, but we also had problems with such things as torn wallpaper, a missing faucet , and a few other minor things. I think it may be time for a refurb or something of WL. However, it would not deter me from staying there again. I much prefer the decor at WL than AKL, but I know the Savanna view has to be awesome. Our room everytime at WL has always had a great view, though, and was usually quiet.

Upvote 0

ripleysmom

I prefer WL to AKL. It is a much more homey atmosphere and is closer to the parks. I am surprised that AKL is cheaper than WL. That being said for the difference I would stay at AKL.

Upvote 0

swimmom

I prefer WL. We love the atmosphere and the closeness to MK via boat. However, I have to agree that WL is in need of some refurbishing. I got a postcard after our last stay to take a survey and I mentioned the need for refurbishing. Hopefully everyone else who took the survey did the same!

Upvote 0

ogryn

DisneyInsider said:
Odd that the prices are so different. Make sure you are comparing the same types of rooms. Standard rooms at both resorts cost the same price. If you can't get the price down at WL, then I would go over to AKL. Sure the WL gives you a few more advantages, but it isn't worth that extra price.

Just looking in my Virgin brochure, AKL is about £200 cheaper over 14 nights compared to WL. Both standard rooms.

For the Poly add £400 on over the 14 night period (these are all per adult)

Upvote 0

BRER STITCH

I LOVE the Wilderness Lodge, but $100 a day can buy lots of good meals and souvenirs!!

I'd give up my WL for $100 a day to spend elsewhere in a heartbeat!

AKL was nice, but our room had a bad smell and it was a long walk to get to the main lobby area and bus stop. We DID, however, have lots of animals outside our room at all times, day or night, wehich was very cool!

I have to say take the AKL and have fun with the $100 a day you saved!

:sohappy:

Upvote 0

FamilyMan

Account Suspended
Wilderness Lodge is the best if you like to still be connected to the world. For total escape, the Animal Kingdom Lodge is excellent.

Personally, I can't stand the feel of being totally stuck out in the middle of nowhere, so I like Wilderness Lodge much better.

Also, there are many bug problems when you go outside at Animal Kingdom Lodge, mainly because of the animals.

Upvote 0

KaliSplash

Must admit I haven't stayed at AKL, but based on a number of trips to WL and what I know about AKL, (admittedly just reading and looking), I prefer WL.

The water, the restaurants and the nearness of the Magic Kingdom.

But for $100 per night difference, I'd certainly give strong consideration to AKL. The architect is the same for both resorts.

Upvote 0

Prof Ecks

I would stay at the Wilderness Lodge over the Animal Kingdom. However, I would stay in a one bedroom suite at the Villas rather than one of the smaller rooms. These rooms are superb and the interiors are great, and staying at the Villas adds another dimension to the Lodge experience. The downstairs lobby at the Villas is really nice and has some real intersesting Disney memorabilia.

The Animal Kingdom is great, but you are more limited in some ways when compared to the Wilderness Lodge. The Wilderness Lodge has the feeling of seclusion that the Animal Kingdom Lodge has, yet you are more connected to "the world" and there is a feeling of much more light and openness. You have the lake on the one side of the lodge which is really nice and creates an area that you can walk around and use. Taking boats to the MK or over to the Hoop de doo Revue (sp?) are very special, also you can catch a boat to the Contemporary (its restaurants) and thus the monorails (and the other hotels) very easily. I am a big fan of the boats and the monorail and the WL easily flows into both unlike the AKL which is a pure bus land.

The restaurants in the Animal Kingdom are very nice (Jiko's is perhaps better than the Artist Point right now), as is the bar, but they are darker, literally down below the main lobby of the hotel. Also, I just prefer the theming of the Wilderness Lodge better than the African theming of the Lodge. And, as I said, with the WL you have more ready access to a much bigger world of dining via the boats and monorail. So, we always do a nice dinner at the California Grill and do the H.D.D.R. when we are at the WL taking the boats back and forth.

If you are really into looking out your window and seeing the animals then clearly the Animal Kingdom Lodge is the place for you. There is a reason the hotel remains cheaper than is sister the Wilderness Lodge and that is location and access to the rest of the world. I think they are both amazing places. But, a room in the WL villas, overlooking the quiet pool and the lake beyond, is really really nice.

I do think you are comparing two great places. I see a lot of people are really devoted to the Poly but as regards the aesthetics and restaurants I would take either of your choices before the Poly.

Upvote 0

Splashman

This is a tough one. Both resorts are excellently themed and have many advantages. WL though is better located in relation to the other 3 parks (MK, Epcot, MGM). Both resorts offer great dining opportunities. It all depends on what you like. WL is more isolated in the woods on bay lake while the AKL is in the open. An advantage to this though is that most rooms are overlooking the savannah and many animals are often seen grazing. While I have not personally stayed at the AKL I have stayed at the WL and thought it was extremely worth it. Both resorts are good and you win either way.

Upvote 0
Akl!!!!!

I stayed at AKL for 5 days this past fall and it was the BEST EVER.......now dont let me make it sound too awesome, but it was AWESOME, THE BEST HOTEL ANYWHERE, outside Las Vegas!

Their is soo much to see and do, i mean it coukld take you a whole day to look at the lobby, its just great....

so if ya couldn't tell.....AKL is the place to stay!

Upvote 0

crazycalf

I've stayed at both and I like AK lodge better.

Wilderness Lodge is close to the 3 parks but the busses seemed to take forever. They gave us a room with a view of MK, but it was a smoking room and we don't smoke. If you have time, WL has a Marina. It's fun to rent a boat and go out on bay lake and 7 seas lagoon.

AKL is more relaxing to me. I love looking at the animals. The 2 resturants are very good.

Both were good hotels, I just like AKL better

Upvote 0

AndyWood

We have stayed at both AKL & WL they are both great hotels, and although we stayed at the WL for our Honeymoon I like the ALK much better.
We are going back in Oct 05 and this will be our 2nd visit to the AKL. We to had the same trouble as you over in the UK the WL is alot more money than the AKL but I think the AKL has alot more to offer. :wave:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom