Android Phone Question

SteveBrickNJ

Original Poster
I am away from home (Brick Township NJ)
I am down in Lynchburg VA to move my daughter into her University dorm on Friday.
My wife and daughter share the same T-Mobile Plan that I do....their phones connect fine.
I can only connect to the airbnb wifi for the internet.
I am unable to send texts or make phone calls. My wife and daughter are here with me and they can do everything as usual.
Here's what I've tried:
1) Turning off the phone and turning it back on
2) Made sure "Wi-Fi Calling" is OFF
3) Made sure "Airplane mode" is OFF
4) I even went to Google and followed the directions for a "Network Settings Reset"
Nothing works!
I get a screen that pops up stating: "Emergency Calls Only"
So I googled "Emergency Calls Only" and tried some of those suggested fixes. Nothing helps.
Some search engines seem to point toward a problem with the SIM Card.
Anyone Agree?
Anyone Disagree?
Any feedback for me?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Steve

Last edited:

StarWarsGirl

Definitely sounds like a SIM card problem.

I would pop the Sim card out, put it back in again, and then restart your phone. If that doesn't work, contact your carrier.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
I am away from home (Brick Township NJ)
I am down in Lynchburg VA to move my daughter into her University dorm on Friday.
My wife and daughter share the same T-Mobile Plan that I do....their phones connect fine.
I can only connect to the airbnb wifi for the internet.
I am unable to send texts or make phone calls. My wife and daughter are here with me and they can do everything as usual.
Here's what I've tried:
1) Turning off the phone and turning it back on
2) Made sure "Wi-Fi Calling" is OFF
3) Made sure "Airplane mode" is OFF
4) I even went to Google and followed the directions for a "Network Settings Reset"
Nothing works!
I get "Emergency Calls Only"
So I googled that and tried some of those suggested fixes. Nothing helps.
Some search engines seem to point toward a problem with the SIM Card.
Agree?
Disagree?
Any feedback for me?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Steve
I'd try calling T-Mobile's Customer Service too, just to make sure everything with your plan/phone #, is in order.

You could also try swapping sim cards with your wife or daughter, that way you can know if it's a sim, or a phone issue.

Hope you can get this worked out asap.

SteveBrickNJ

Original Poster
I'd try calling T-Mobile's Customer Service too, just to make sure everything with your plan/phone #, is in order.

You could also try swapping sim cards with your wife or daughter, that way you can know if it's a sim, or a phone issue.

Thanks. After I help bring everything into my daughter's dorm I will go to the local T Mobile Store. 5 minutes from campus.

SteveBrickNJ

Original Poster
Hypothetically, If I get a new SIM card in my cell phone and hypothetically I walk out if the T Mobile store with the same phone that is now connected to their network (thanks to a new SIM card) and can do everything......will my car's Blue Tooth and Android Auto connect as per usual?
Or will a new SIM card (in my same old phone)make the car's blue tooth and Android Auto not recognize my phone and I'll have to start from scratch reconnecting them???

Last edited:

SteveBrickNJ

Original Poster

Taking a 2nd look at your answer.
It's gonna be a busy day moving my daughter into her dorm room. I don't want to swap SIM cards even to experiment. I never did that before and I'm afraid my current bad luck will transfer to whichever family member I swap with. 😂
I can't call T Mobile Customer Service on MY phone. I can't make any calls to anyone. It allows 911 calls only.
I COULD use my wife or daughter's phone to call...but again, I'm trying to not put the focus on me. I'm trying not to be annoying.
I'm sure our plan is in order because my wife and daughter are on the same plan and their phones work perfect in every way.
Thanks again for letting me vent here. Thanks again for being nice @Nunu

SteveBrickNJ

Original Poster
New day. I exited the airbnb apartment and the phone worked fine.
I drove around following my phone's google maps.
I texted and I enjoyed a phone conversation.
Now I'm back in the airbnb apartment and the old problem resumes.
Oh well.
At least it is unique to this structure. No need to go to T Mobile or trouble shoot SIM card stuff.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom