Anaheim to host a Running event in November, 2018

RunningKoen

It's not strange for cities to host running events, some cities have several. I am not sure, but I doubt if Disneyland/RunDisney was the only way throughout an entire year to participate in a race.

FerretAfros

I think there were some small 5Ks, but to my knowledge runDisney was the option for longer distances in Anaheim. Then again, there are plenty of other cities nearby that have longer distances too; the Star Wars and Avengers half marathons even crossed into Garden Grove, so it's not like anybody was limited by what was inside Anaheim's city limits.

Given the date, theme, format, and rules of the event, it's pretty clear to me that they're trying to fill the void that runDisney left. I'll be curious to see how it works out, since people are a lot more willing to tolerate inconveniences for a big name-brand destination race. I don't think many people will be excited to pay for expo parking or have a 5:30am start for what's essentially a local race. I can't tell what their expected field size is, but I would be shocked if it approaches the size of rD's races.

This also supports the notion that the DLR races were actually cancelled due to the construction at the staging areas, rather than a squabble with the City. The sprawling parking lots by the Honda Center and Angels Stadium are much better suited for a race start/finish, but this will still require shutting down city streets and all the resources associated with that

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
How ironic. The City partially responsible for the demise of the DLR races decides to host its own when it figured out the revenue lost.... :rolleyes:

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
It's not strange for cities to host running events, some cities have several. I am not sure, but I doubt if Disneyland/RunDisney was the only way throughout an entire year to participate in a race.

The premiere running event in Southern California is the LA Marathon. Sand Diego has the Rock 'n Roll Marathon as the main event, but also hosts other events.

In Orange County (CA), the premiere event is next weekend, the OC Marathon.

http://www.ocmarathon.com/

This event has always been the big Kahuna of events, and held just south of Disneyland.

So yes, there has always been plenty of local races to take advantage of.

But the runDisney events attracted a lot of tourists (Similar to the Rock 'n Roll San Diego event), and RunAnaheim, a division of Visit Anaheim, the area's tourism marketing group, is trying to tap out of the area runners.

One key difference, since this is a "charity" race, California law will allow volunteers, unlike runDisney, which was forced to switch to a paid staff covering the course, and one of many reasons why rD left Anaheim.

LAKid53

Premium Member
The premiere running event in Southern California is the LA Marathon. Sand Diego has the Rock 'n Roll Marathon as the main event, but also hosts other events.

In Orange County (CA), the premiere event is next weekend, the OC Marathon.

http://www.ocmarathon.com/

This event has always been the big Kahuna of events, and held just south of Disneyland.

So yes, there has always been plenty of local races to take advantage of.

But the runDisney events attracted a lot of tourists (Similar to the Rock 'n Roll San Diego event), and RunAnaheim, a division of Visit Anaheim, the area's tourism marketing group, is trying to tap out of the area runners.

One key difference, since this is a "charity" race, California law will allow volunteers, unlike runDisney, which was forced to switch to a paid staff covering the course, and one of many reasons why rD left Anaheim.

All WDW rD races have a benefiting charity - Children's Miracle Network for Princess, Make A Wish for last week's Dark Side, etc. Did the Anaheim races not do the same? Or does CA law require a specific % of proceeds - which would include registration fees - go to the benefiting organization? Race participants can add a donation to the charity when registering - would this satisfy CA law?

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
runDisney events are run as For Profit events. The new RunAnaheim event is set up as a non-profit operating thru a governmental agency.

https://www.outsideonline.com/1926546/marathon-lawsuit-may-shake-running-world

https://www.mouseplanet.com/11737/B...isney_Drops_Volunteers_in_Favor_of_Paid_Temps

So the only way for Disney to operate a Marathon in California, is to run the event with all proceeds going to charity, or use paid staff.

So between the current major issues with the Mayor of Anaheim and the city council, the need for paid course staff and current Disneyland construction, rD decided to pull out of Anaheim, and probably won't return.

dreamfinder

All WDW rD races have a benefiting charity - Children's Miracle Network for Princess, Make A Wish for last week's Dark Side, etc. Did the Anaheim races not do the same? Or does CA law require a specific % of proceeds - which would include registration fees - go to the benefiting organization? Race participants can add a donation to the charity when registering - would this satisfy CA law?

Non Profit is different than charity donation. Almost every race I've ever done has at least a donation, including those that are run by for profit companies. Helps to make people feel better. If runDisney was split off from Disney and run as a non-profit, then in theory they should be able to get around the volunteer aspect.

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
I know it won't be a rD event, but you can still run in the event, and visit Disneyland at the same time.

And since Visit Anaheim is supported by the Walt Disney Company, you might get some sort of run by the parks, as long as it doesn't interfere with normal operations.

And I wouldn't be surprised if the November event goes well, that a run such as Super Heroes or Princesses would be added. (Generic enough to be OK, but imply that they are similar to prior races.)

We shall see how it goes.

And since Visit Anaheim's main goal is to bring in tourists, I think they would be happy to step away and let rD take over in the future, if things change. But I think that everyone, including Disney, is on board for RunAnaheim to take care of the events for the forseeable future.

RunningKoen

I know it won't be a rD event, but you can still run in the event, and visit Disneyland at the same time.

If the city thinks this will work. Best of luck to them. Visting a theme park isnt the usual combination with a race. Most regular runners won't care for it at all.

Running is popular and there are tons of races held every weekend. 5K, 10K and 10M are standard distances and, as far as I can see, Anaheim can offer nothing to set these races apart from the others. Most races dont really bring in tourist, but just locals.

Famous races and/or big marathons draw in the people. But certainly not races that are held for the first time. The organisation needs to prove they are able to host decent races before there's even a change it will attract a lot of runners from outside the region.

Anaheim can surely try to host their own races. But some of the unique aspect of runDisney cannot be replaced (running through the parks, the meets with characters, and the medals).
And trying to beat Disney in their own game it insane. Hosting a Superhero or Princess weekend almost next to the company that owns most of the copyrights?

runDisney did a great job marketing those unique aspect, and using challenges as coast to coast, made people fly thousands of miles just for one race. Even people from outside the USA come to WDW and came to Anaheim to run. Who will do all that effort for a 10M run just through Anaheim?

Last edited:

LAKid53

Premium Member
After reading the article @Darkbeer1 posted a link to, I'm concerned about the WDW races if the litigant is successful. Disney may have to split off rD and let it become a separate 501(c)(3). As a retired accounting manager at one, I'll be happy to volunteer my services. ☺

RunningKoen

After reading the article @Darkbeer1 posted a link to, I'm concerned about the WDW races if the litigant is successful. Disney may have to split off rD and let it become a separate 501(c)(3). As a retired accounting manager at one, I'll be happy to volunteer my services. ☺

Did you read the first one or both?

The second one mentions that the lawsuit was dismissed in 2016. There have been numerous raceweekends at WDW without any noticeable change in volentering policy, right?

LAKid53

Premium Member
Did you read the first one or both?

The second one mentions that the lawsuit was dismissed in 2016. There have been numerous raceweekends at WDW without any noticeable change in volentering policy, right?

No, just the first one. Phew, glad I'm wrong.

Yes, correct about WDW races. But Disney may have to split off rD to get the Anaheim races back on track to comply with CA law.

RunningKoen

No, just the first one. Phew, glad I'm wrong.

Yes, correct about WDW races. But Disney may have to split off rD to get the Anaheim races back on track to comply with CA law.

Using the 'new' system of paid temps might be enough to comply with that law? Entirely splitting of rD will have an impact on WDW, Paris and possilble other parks aswell (as announced at the 25th marathon perfect party)

LAKid53

Premium Member
Using the 'new' system of paid temps might be enough to comply with that law? Entirely splitting of rD will have an impact on WDW, Paris and possilble other parks aswell (as announced at the 25th marathon perfect party)

That's why rD went with paid temps for the Anaheim races. But the merits of the lawsuit were never litigated. Which won't affect races outside the United States. But my understanding is that paid temps weren't as enthusiastic about staffing the races as volunteers and certain groups were no longer on the course.

RunningKoen

The lawsuit wont have effects outside of the states. Splitting rD off Disney itself might, since runDisney is (partly) used in France aswell.

That's why they went for the paid temps, I guess. Easier to do that, than to split off rD and have a possible impact on all race weekends.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom