Anaheim Races to Switch to Paid Temp Staff?

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Original Poster
Could this be why registration is on hold for the Light Side?

https://www.mouseplanet.com/11737/B...isney_Drops_Volunteers_in_Favor_of_Paid_Temps

If the main issue, according to the article, was coordination with the City given the necessity to run on City streets, why not have a team of paid staff, whether permanent or temporary, handle that particular function? Now the folks we see cheering us on along the race course will be paid to do that...... sad!

If the switch from unpaid volunteers to temporary staff works, will Disney World be next? And will that change the vibe of those races? Not to mention increased entry fees.....

Frankly, given the size and frequency of these races, I think those unpaid volunteers have been doing one heck of a job! We need to thank them for their willingness to make our races fun and safe over the next couple of race weekends. I realize this article pertains to just DLR races, but all the runDisney volunteers deserve our gratitude!

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Original Poster
My concern is that DLR will eventually drop races if they can't cover this expense. Or make fees so expensive interest will decline. And end up dropping races.

As of this morning, the SW Dark Side Half is still open.

I agree with the author of the article. Paid temp workers aren't going to have the same enthusiasm as volunteers who are also runners, Disney fans or supporters/friends/family of those running. Organizing a race requires some experience. Do you want people who are looking for a temp job coordinating road closures, traffic rerouting, LE coverage with local authorities...or someone who may have some knowledge/experience about races? I know what I'd prefer. There are local running clubs in Southern CA - why not ask for their assistance?

If it wasn't broke......

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
My concern is that DLR will eventually drop races if they can't cover this expense. Or make fees so expensive interest will decline. And end up dropping races.

As of this morning, the SW Dark Side Half is still open.

I agree with the author of the article. Paid temp workers aren't going to have the same enthusiasm as volunteers who are also runners, Disney fans or supporters/friends/family of those running. Organizing a race requires some experience. Do you want people who are looking for a temp job coordinating road closures, traffic rerouting, LE coverage with local authorities...or someone who may have some knowledge/experience about races? I know what I'd prefer. There are local running clubs in Southern CA - why not ask for their assistance?

If it wasn't broke......

Disney will break it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom