Alladin ??

sknydave

Because the only Indians employed by Disney currently work as Kim Possible

Sorry, it's a reference to an old thread :)

Lauriebar

I have a lovely picture from around 1995 of my DD with a Jasmine who was obviously of middle eastern descent at MGM. Alladin however, was obviously caucasian.

So, I wouldn't say never.

Skylinecar1982

Original Poster
ok then sorry thought they were "east indian" I still believe there decendents are similar.

But still why no Persians actually playing the characters at parks???

beachclubbasics

I have yet ot see Aladdinor Jasmine...but why are all the Pocahontases I have seen either Caucasian, Hispanic, or Pacific Islander? Has anyone ever seen a Native American Pocahontas? (I'm NA so that's why I'm wondering...lol)

Skylinecar1982

Original Poster
I have a lovely picture from around 1995 of my DD with a Jasmine who was obviously of middle eastern descent at MGM. Alladin however, was obviously caucasian.

So, I wouldn't say never.

Yeah never was the wrong thing to say. Would you post that pic? Just curious.

Skylinecar1982

Original Poster
I have yet ot see Aladdinor Jasmine...but why are all the Pocahontases I have seen either Caucasian, Hispanic, or Pacific Islander? Has anyone ever seen a Native American Pocahontas? (I'm NA so that's why I'm wondering...lol)

I know it just kind of reminds me of the old movies where they didn't want to hire blacks or asians so caucasins played everything. I don't believe this is more their intention then just an oversite but I mean come on.

Lauriebar

I would love to but, unfortunately it was taken in the olden days before digital and I do not own a scanner.:p

I for one like to believe that Disney does try to at least have the face charactors look like the ethnicity they should be. That is enough for me.

Jesùs_Carioca

I have yet ot see Aladin or Jasmine...but why are all the Pocahontases I have seen either Caucasian, Hispanic, or Pacific Islander? Has anyone ever seen a Native American Pocahontas? (I'm NA so that's why I'm wondering...lol)

Actually, at the show they have at The Animal Kingdom with her, either she was of Native American decent, or can beautifully BS her way into letting everyone think she is.

It must be hard to find such princesses with specific decents. But i must say, there are multiple ethnicities that could easily fool the masses...coming from a latino male...in respect to Jasmine that is. I've never really thought if it would work with Pocahontas though.

beachclubbasics

I know it just kind of reminds me of the old movies where they didn't want to hire blacks or asians so caucasins played everything. I don't believe this is more their intention then just an oversite but I mean come on.

Yes, as Bruce Lee learned when he developed "Kung Fu" as a TV program...look who got the lead role....David Carradine (a caucasian guy). The studio literally took the project away from Bruce Lee because they were convinced that no one (ie the majority of white viewers) wanted to see real Asians on TV.

As for NAs plaing Pocahontas..there's not many of us left, we may live too far away to travel (or move) for a job that pays mimimum wage, and there are a lot of NAs who are not happy with the movie in general...

tigsmom

Disney can only hire those who apply. If no one of NA descent or of Middle Eastern descent (Persia is the old name for Iran) applies for a job, how are they to hire them? I believe Disney does the best they can when placing face characters, but even they can't work magic. :lookaroun

Skylinecar1982

Original Poster
Disney can only hire those who apply. If no one of NA descent or of Middle Eastern descent (Persia is the old name for Iran) applies for a job, how are they to hire them? I believe Disney does the best they can when placing face characters, but even they can't work magic. :lookaroun

Makes sense, would be cool if the went around recruiting people though.

beachclubbasics

Actually, at the show they have at The Animal Kingdom with her, either she was of Native American decent, or can beautifully BS her way into letting everyone think she is.

It must be hard to find such princesses with specific decents. But i must say, there are multiple ethnicities that could easily fool the masses...coming from a latino male...in respect to Jasmine that is. I've never really thought if it would work with Pocahontas though.

A lot of caucasians think that all Native Americans look like the ones they've seen on TV or are all very darked skinned (Many think they all look like the people who live in Mexico who are descended from the Incas and Mayans). Many NAs are light skinned ..especially those from the Northern tribes (like mine). I have black hair, and Native feautures, but have fair skin and blue eyes. Most poeple will guess me as part Asian before they guess NA.

Lucky

Morocco seems the most logical setting for the story. Moroccans, like most Arabs, don't look so different from westerners. Neither do most Iranians for that matter, who speak Persian, an Indo-European language. Arabs in North Africa and the Middle East are descended from people of other ethnicities who were conquered by tribes from the Arabian peninsula. So you wouldn't expect Arabs to all look alike, any more than you'd expect Russians to all look alike, or Americans to all look alike.

I'd think Disney would want CMs who look like Aladdin and Jasmine to play them, regardless of the ethnic origin of the CMs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom