"Aladdin" to sponsor Clay Aiken Tour

cherrynegra

Original Poster
Disney's ALADDIN Special Edition 2-Disc DVD to be the Exclusive Sponsor for Clay Aiken's First Headlining Nationwide Tour
Thursday July 8, 4:17 pm ET
Concert to Preview Deleted Song 'Proud of Your Boy,' From Academy Award(R) Winning Songwriters Howard Ashman and Alan Menken, Which Debuts on DVD for the First Time October 5!
DisneyHand Helps Bubel/Aiken Foundation Make Wishes Come True

BURBANK, Calif., July 8 /PRNewswire/ -- For the first-time-ever, Buena Vista Home Entertainment has become the title sponsor of a major concert tour, sponsoring multi-platinum recording artist Clay Aiken's first nationwide tour -- which begins today (July 8, 2004). The multi-platinum selling artist becomes part of Disney's animation legacy by singing "Proud of Your Boy," a lost gem from the Disney vault, from Academy Award® winning songwriters Howard Ashman and Alan Menken. The inspiring song, was originally intended for the ALADDIN film but cut when the ALADDIN storyline changed. Clay Aiken's rendition will be featured only on the DVD debut of Disney's animated classic ALADDIN (also on the VHS), both of which will be available as a SPECIAL EDITION, on October 5, 2004. Unavailable in any form for over ten years, the double Academy Award® winning ALADDIN is presented for the first time in a digital format, in a magical 2-Disc DVD set with a whole new world of bonus features. The sponsorship will also benefit the efforts of the Bubel/Aiken Foundation thanks to a donation from DisneyHand, worldwide outreach for The Walt Disney Company. The 50-city summer tour is scheduled to open in Grand Fork, North Dakota on July 8 and conclude in Raleigh, North Carolina October 18.

"When Disney approached me to record this song," noted Aiken, "I was honored to have the chance to work with the incredible songwriter Alan Menken, pay tribute to his writing partner Howard Ashman and become part of the tremendous Disney songbook legacy."

"I love Clay Aiken's performance of 'Proud of Your Boy' and I was knocked out by the strength of his talent. To have this lost song, so dear to my heart and so vital to my collaboration with Howard Ashman, finally brought fully to life is a dream come true," said Alan Menken.

As the exclusive sponsor, Walt Disney Home Entertainment will participate in a variety of activities in key markets, geared toward raising awareness for the ALADDIN SPECIAL EDITION DVD release, Aiken's Summer tour, the charities and providing special offers for Aiken's fans. Among these activities are:

- Exclusive sneak previews of the "Proud of Your Boy" Music Video
- A special message about DisneyHand and Aiken's shared commitment to
children
- Cross-promotional website activities on both www.aladdindvd.com and
www.clayaiken.com;

The legendary Disney composer Alan Menken worked with both lyricists Howard Ashman and Tim Rice on ALADDIN. Menken won the 1992 Academy Award® for ALADDIN for Best Original Score. Menken and Rice won the 1992 Best Music (Song) Oscar® for ALADDIN's inspiring song "A Whole New World." The outstanding musical contributions in the film include such beloved songs as the lively "Friend Like Me" and the upbeat "Prince Ali." Ashman and Menken also collaborated and won Oscars® for their work on the Disney classics "Beauty and the Beast" and "The Little Mermaid." Alan Menken holds eight Oscars® to date.

ALADDIN is Disney's spectacular version of the classic Arabian Nights fairy tale. Set in the mythical city of Agrabah, the story follows a street-smart teen, Aladdin, and his mischievous pet monkey, Abu. Aladdin falls in love with the free-spirited Princess Jasmine, despite a law that says she can only wed a royal suitor. His luck changes with one rub of the magic lamp, releasing the shape-shifting, fun-loving, wish-giving Genie, who turns Aladdin into a Prince. But the evil vizier, Jafar, and his wisecracking parrot, Iago, also crave the lamp's power. If Aladdin is to defeat them and win Jasmine's heart, he must learn to be himself -- with a little help from his big blue buddy, the Genie. The ALADDIN feature film is rated "G" by the MPAA.

Walt Disney Home Entertainment is distributed by Buena Vista Home Entertainment, Inc., a recognized industry leader. Buena Vista Home Entertainment, Inc. is the marketing, sales and distribution company for Walt Disney, Touchstone, Miramax, Dimension and Buena Vista videocassettes and DVDs.

xfkirsten

Blah... I still don't like the idea of him singing Proud of Your Boy. Besides which, their whole promotional angle on the DVD release is focusing around this music video, and I really feel that it's starting to detract from the film itself, and that es me off. However, I won't say his version sucks til I hear it for myself. The fact that Menken liked it does carry weight with me.

-Kirsten

JBSLJames

*starts humming a familair tune*

Kirsten and Clay sitting in a tree
Along comes Alladin happily
Clay gets kicked
He falls down
Kirsten and Alladin go out on the town

A poor effort I know, but I think Clay has a really good voice and he fits the Disney image. . . Goofy .
:wave:

careship

I have to agree with both of you.....

The buzz about this is making it into something bigger then they should. However, I think of all the people out there right now in music and things of the such and I do think that Clay Aiken does truly fit the Disney image. I remember when the Disney image was wholesome. Clay fits this quite well.

Disney used to be the platform for new and emerging talents through things such as the Mickey Mouse Club, granted some of them have really lost that image.

xfkirsten

JBSLJames said:
*starts humming a familair tune*

Kirsten and Clay sitting in a tree
Along comes Alladin happily
Clay gets kicked
He falls down
Kirsten and Alladin go out on the town

Shweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!! :sohappy:

-Kirsten

I have The Music Behind The Magic, and Proud Of Your Boy has always been one of my favorite deleted Disney songs. I can't wait to hear what it will sound like as a single. I saw Clay Aiken when he was on tour with Kelly Clarkson and would see him again if he comes anywhere near here, especially now that I know he'll be singing POYB!

KevinPage

This isn't good news to hear. Disney royally screwed up the Lion King DVD by leaving out features that were on the Laserdisc, putting the Disney Channel stars all over the place and editing alot of the animation. Not to mention the cumbersome and ackward layout. They already mentioned they were changing parts of the animation, now it seems they totally lost the focus of what they are trying to sell.

The last thing I want is something totally "trendy" associated with a classic Disney film. :cry: :cry: :cry:

OliveMcFly

Here's my idea. McDonalds comes out with Aladdin toys in the Happy Meals. Also, when you buy a Value Meal you can purchase the POYB single for $2. Then $1 could go to the Bubel/Aiken Foundation. Just a thought. What do ya think? Seeing Clay in 25 days!

xfkirsten

DisneyGrl85 said:
Here's my idea. McDonalds comes out with Aladdin toys in the Happy Meals. Also, when you buy a Value Meal you can purchase the POYB single for $2. Then $1 could go to the Bubel/Aiken Foundation. Just a thought. What do ya think? Seeing Clay in 25 days!

I doubt McDonalds wants to touch Disney with a ten-foot pole right now. :lol: I imagine we'll get the Clay Aiken version on a special edition Aladdin CD release this fall, though, as they did with TLK.

-Kirsten

AdLibSean

I personally hate this whole idea of one of the classic disney film's DVD release "sponsoring" a concert tour, no matter who it is. The marketing dept. of the company needs to be completely taken out top to bottom. For more reasons other than this, but oh well. Point being, bad idea, tacky, and ultimately too corporate. Let the movie market itself. I'm done! :D

xfkirsten

AdLibSean said:
I personally hate this whole idea of one of the classic disney film's DVD release "sponsoring" a concert tour, no matter who it is. The marketing dept. of the company needs to be completely taken out top to bottom. For more reasons other than this, but oh well. Point being, bad idea, tacky, and ultimately too corporate. Let the movie market itself. I'm done! :D

Amen to that! They need to get back to focusing on the movies - not the extras.

-Kirsten

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom