AKL vs. Wilderness Lodge

mikepaj

We are going in November with our 6 and 4 year old boys. We are trying to decide whether to stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge or Wilderness Lodge. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

imagineer99

Both are beautiful hotels (both inside and out).

It all depends on your interests.

Wilderness Lodge has direct boat access to the Magic Kingdom. Thus, if you are a MK fan, I would suggest Wilderness.

AKL is more isolated than Wilderness. However, the appeal of the Savannah is huge. Plus, the theming and restauraunts are wonderful.

You truly can't go wrong either way...It all depends on you personally.:)

Upvote 0

BRER STITCH

A lot has to do with your personal preference for decor and scenery, as that is the main difference between the two resorts. (The physical buildings are almost identical, as theyare both fromthe same master plans.)

AKL is African Safari themed, while WL is Mountain Lodge themed.

I have stayed at both and my personal preference is Wilderness Lodge. I find it more relaxing and picturesque than AKL. I also enjoy the close proximity to Fort Wilderness, the bike trails, boat rentals, and quick transportation to Magic Kingdom via boat or bus.

:cool:

Upvote 0

M:SpilotISTC12

wildereness

i would go with the wilderness because you are close to the magic kingdom and you can watch the fireworks. you can take the ferry to the cont. or mk. you can do more activities with your kids at the wilderness too. i am goin in october for my 3 straight time in a row. all the times i have been there i have loved. so go WL.

Upvote 0

lukacseven

Stayed at both. Personally, I like WL better. I think the theming is better and the whole pool, lake are is alot nicer. It seemed to have a little more quiet and relaxed atmosphere. I also think the animlas at AKL are a little over-hyped. Your young ones might get a kick out of it though, depending on your room request, but you'll see planty at the AK park.

Upvote 0

swimmom

My preference is WL. We love the theming and the different types of transportation. We like taking the ferry to MK and the Contemporary. From the Contemporary you can catch the monorail to other monrail resorts or Epcot. You can also see the electrical parade each night on the lagoon. My 14 year old still likes to go out to watch the parade in the evening. This year we are going in December, and I am looking forward to sitting in the lobby with a cup of hot chocolate by the fireplace.

Upvote 0

GoofyFan1

We love WL! The atmosphere is really relaxing. We liked just sitting near the hot-spring inside and listening to the sounds. The pool area is great, and there is nothing like a relaxing ride to and from MK on the boat.

You can't go wrong with the Wilderness Lodge.:D

Upvote 0

tigsmom

I've never stayed at the AKL but I have friends who have stayed at both and like the WL better. We are headed to the WL in July (lost track of how many times we've stayed there).

The theme, atmosphere, CMs are great. They really bend over backwards to make sure you have a good vacation.
Some people have issues with the bus service, but we have never had a problem. Take the launch to the Contemporary and hit the monorail from there. Take the boat to the MK or Fort Wilderness (a frequently overlooked trip).

Its very family friendly...you will frequently see kids running & playing in the lobby and even people sleeping on the big comfy sofas. My kids love the slide in the pool.
Grab a cup of coffee (or your favorite beverage) and pull up a rocker by the big fireplace & relax, relax, relax. Like the guard at the gate says..."Welcome Home". :wave:

Upvote 0

KaliSplash

Wilderness Lodge, although, as has been mentioned above, the design is very similar.
Wilderness Lodge has more water, a lot more water, with a variety of boats to rent.
It's just a boat ride away from the Magic Kingdom.
The Electric Water Pageant comes by for a visit.
The theming is extraordinary.

having said all that, AKL does offer more animals and more exotic restaurants. (this may or may not be a good thing, depending on your tastes.)

Upvote 0

tigsmom

You could always hop over to the AKL for dinner if you have your heart set on dining there. Thats the great thing about WDW...you're never too far from a yummy meal. Everything for the many varied tastes at varied prices.

Upvote 0
AKL is very nice

My wife and I stayed at the AKL back in October for our 5th wedding anniversary. While we did splurge on concierge but the over all hotel was just great. The restaurants were top notch and the animals were not over rated. We stayed on the Sunrise Savannah and I can not think of a single time that we went out on our balcony that we did not see animals. It is just amazing to watch the animals day to day and start to pick up some of their behaviors and mannerisms.

The bus transportation was very good as well. AKL is on its own line while you have to share your bus with Fort Wilderness at the WL. It took us more time to get from WL to Pleasure Island one night than it took for us to get from AKL to the Magic Kingdom.

I highly recommend the AKL and some of the advantages of staying in concierge (special tours, buffet in the lounge, etc.) were more than worth the added expense.

Upvote 0

mom2redheadgirl

WL is great

I would say WL because your kids are so young and the transportation to MK is great via boat (from my experience in early March). However, I have not stayed at the AKL so I can't say 'don't do it'. I actually want to go there myself (really bad) and we have 3 little ones. I think the theming would be on the same scale...awesome. The rooms are the same size 340 sq.ft WL and 344 AKL (according to a book I am reading). I hear the food is better at AKL. I have eaten at both Artist's Point and Whispering Canyon Cafe and they are just okay to me. Artist's Point was overpriced to me and I don't recommend it. I did enjoy WCC though. You can always see what the kids would prefer in order to help you decide. I don't think AKL would be bad transportation for you since your kids aren't at the stroller age and getting off and on the bus won't be a big chore. So! I am sure I have just confused you more! Hope this helped some. :animwink:
Steph

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom