AKL to parks ???

MPitzen

I've been to Disney so many times & have never had a car, but we are this time. I have no idea how to get anywhere... is there somewhere I can get directions from AKL to the parks & other places? Thanks!!!

Tim G

I've been to Disney so many times & have never had a car, but we are this time. I have no idea how to get anywhere... is there somewhere I can get directions from AKL to the parks & other places? Thanks!!!
Directions to DAK
Exit the lodge...
There's only one exit by car...
Stay on Osceola Parkway...
Pass the traffic lights.
1st on your left (a very small exit, with a small sign saying Animal Kindom)
and your at the parking gates of DAK

Directions to the other parks.

Exit the lodge...
There's only one exit by car...
Stay on Osceola Parkway...
Pass the traffic lights.
Once your're merging with the exit road from DAK
Keep left...
Stay on Osceola Parkway until the purple sign saying
Magic Kingdom
Disney MGM Studios
Epcot
Downtown Disney...
Exit to your left...
Follow the signs to the desired park...

From there, everything will become clear to you...

So no maps needed it's so very easy... If I can dream it... YOU can do it... :)

Ciao! :D

Upvote 0

MPitzen

Original Poster
There are signs everywhere or you could use the easier option of Disney transportation.

Would driving save us any time or would it be more of a hassle?

Are there certain places we should definitely drive or definitely use the buses for? Like MK... we have a 8:05 ressie for CRT, when the MK doesn't open until 9. Would it be easier for us to drive?

I have the unoffficial guide & a few others that have 'times to the parks' but these are with buses... about how long would it take with a car, especially for MK?

We will always be at the parks before opening - would that allow us to park closer?

Thanks for all of your help!!! Especially with the directions... I guess I never realized that it was so easy since I've just never had to drive there before.

Upvote 0

DicksonGR

I would pick driving over Disney Transportation any day. No waiting for the bus to arrive and no having to deal with annoying people and loud kids. You would most likely arrive at your destination quicker if you drove yourself than if you took Disney Transportation. I almost missed Fantasmic! one night because the bus from Epcot to Disney-MGM Studios arrived so late. I waited about half-an-hour for that bus to arrive.

Hop in your car, blast the air conditioner and turn up the radio! :)

I appreciate what you're saying, but personally I love not having to worry about driving back to the resort after a long day of walking.

Just hop on the bus and get whisked away to your destination. I've been to the AKL the past 3 years in September (and am going this year too!:) ) and have never had a problem with the excellent Disney transport. Longest I've ever had to wait for a bus was 15 minutes, but usually its no more than 5 and they'll take you right to the door of your park/resort. Just my opinion though.:wave:

Upvote 0

davidpw97

I also think driving is much quicker. After a long day in the parks, to me it is so much easier to walk right out to my own car and drive right to my door or atleast close to it without having to wait in any more lines or deal with anyone other than my own cranky family. I've always preferred to do things on my own schedule and not someone else's and although the buses are usually pretty good about running on a consistent schedule, you could be the unlucky ones who end up on the bus with the 45 minute wait and why worry about how long you might have to wait when you could use your own car and have zero wait. Its also less embarrassing to fall asleep in your own car on the way home, than on the shoulder of some stranger who happens to be sitting next to you on the bus :D .

Upvote 0
Are there certain places we should definitely drive or definitely use the buses for? Like MK... we have a 8:05 ressie for CRT, when the MK doesn't open until 9. Would it be easier for us to drive?

On our last trip in May 2006, we had a rental car on our last day and decided to try driving to the MK instead of taking the Disney bus. I should mention we did not arrive before the park opened - closer to 1 hour after it opened. Probably because of this, we did not have a great parking spot and maybe the parking lot transportation was busier. We didn't really like the experience. We waited a few miinutes for the tram to take us to TTC and then we waited to take either a monorail or boat to the MK. Because of the tram and then transfer at TTC, once we got out of the car it took us another 15 - 20 minutes to get to the MK. The resort bus bypasses the TTC and takes you directly to the MK gate, so the time savings for your own car is the worst at MK. I believe the "Unofficial Guide" claims that bus time vs. car to MK is about the same because of this transfer and this was our experience as well.

We have stayed at AKL a number of nights and our best time to MK on the bus is about 20 minutes if you get to the stop right as a bus is pulling up. Worst case was about 45 minutes if you just miss the bus and have to wait 25 minutes for the next. Some people have bad stories about buses being late, but we never had any problems from the AKL. Did have a long wait at DTD 40-50 minutes just for a bus to come once though......

With your car at MK you would be in control, which might be what you want for a CRT rez. It would probably be 15 minutes slower than your best case taking the bus. Worst case for the bus is hard to say because of the occasional horror stories you hear about really long waits.

Personally, we prefer taking the bus. We find it more peaceful than dealing with driving and somehow it doesn't interfear with the "magic" of WDW the same way that driving does. But for peace of mind, I could see the point in driving to a CRT rez. For the other parks, the parking lot tram takes you directly to the gate so you don't have to make a transfer and there is definitely a time savings. From strictly a time point of view, driving yourself is clearly the fastest choice for all parks except MK. But as others have pointed out, some people -myself included- prefer the relaxation of not dealing with the driving.

What ever you decide, don't forget to allow time to clear the bag check before getting into the park. Enjoy CRT, hope to do it with my family some day.

Upvote 0

MPitzen

Original Poster
Thanks for all of your help!!!

I have one more question about traveling to the MK... I'm not sure if this is allowed. My guess is that it isn't but I just thought I would ask... Can we park at one of the MK resorts and take the monorail? I'm guessing this would be the easiest thing to do but is probally not allowed???

Thanks!

Upvote 0

barnum42

Thanks for all of your help!!!

I have one more question about traveling to the MK... I'm not sure if this is allowed. My guess is that it isn't but I just thought I would ask... Can we park at one of the MK resorts and take the monorail? I'm guessing this would be the easiest thing to do but is probally not allowed???

Thanks!
Officially, no. You can park at resorts for a couple or three hours to visit and eat, but not to use it as a car park. However, this does not stop people from trying to do it and numerous arguments breaking out on here about it.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom