AK Vets--Elephant Surgery

5mins2disney

I didn't think elephants had an over-population issue?

The article mentions it may be a problem actually in some areas...very interesting.

So can we go "backstage" at AK and see it in action? hehe

PSU_Princess

Original Poster
I didn't think elephants had an over-population issue?

I didn't know that either. I always thought that was one of the breeding programs that was talked about. I never realized that there was a problem in the wild but they were eager to breed in captivity.

How do you find these things?

It was on the front page of the Usa Today website. I check that site every day and when I saw the headline I just laughed.

CBOMB

They cull herds of elephants in Africa because of over population. This is because of the developement in land that once supported many more elephants than can be handled today. I think birth control is a far more humane treatment of the over population of wild animals.

Meeko

Yikes! :eek:

I would not like to witness this... although I think that having them try to stand up an elephant that's asleep would be an interesting site. Still the whole thing doesn't sound 100% humane.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
They cull herds of elephants in Africa because of over population. This is because of the developement in land that once supported many more elephants than can be handled today. I think birth control is a far more humane treatment of the over population of wild animals.
If you have ever seen how they "cull" herds of elephants you would realize how correct you are. What I have seen done is a bunch of guys driving into a heard of elephants mowing the adults down with fully automatic AK-47's and capturing and selling the calves that survive. Not a pretty scene.

CBOMB

Yes I have seen it. Almost anything is more humane other than wholesale slaughter. I believe they said the only alternative was starvation, but still gunning down hundreds of animals is not a pleasant thing to witness.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom