Advice on Special Cakes ...

crimsontyde01

Original Poster
Want to order a special cake for our DS birthday, while on our trip. We have never done this before. Any advice would be appreciated on how specific on decorations,size, to price, when and how to order. We are eating @ 'Ohana on the Sat night we arrive and would like to do it then. Thanks for the input.

HouCuseChickie

You'll want to follow the advice on this link...

http://disneytravelbabble.com/how-to/order-cake/

You can get a better idea of fillings, flavors, and the approved character toppers from this link...

http://disneytravelbabble.com/how-to/order-cake/#fancycakes

I know for certain that the GF bakery services the restaurants at the Poly, so if you're looking at Cakes By Location - you'll use the GF info. You will also likely be dealing with Pat...and she is notorious for trying to push people into more basic flavors and options. Still the GF makes nice cakes and if you get Pat on one of her less than magical days, you can still be pretty certain you'll still get a nice cake. Just don't settle for what she pushes if it's not what you want...she can always check with the chefs. The one and only time I dealt with her, I pushed back and got my friend the cake flavor she desired.

I also wouldn't worry too much about all of the extra food from the meal. My friend had her cake at 'Ohana and it was mainly just something really nice and special to have for the celebration + they had lots of yummy cake leftovers to snack on for a few days. :)

HouCuseChickie

A few other things...when it comes to 3D...unless you provide your own topper, you are limited to the white chocolate characters on their list. They are not permitted to sculpt any actual Disney characters.

You also have the option of 2D stand up edible images. They usually do their best to try and create edible scenery around them so they feel a little less 2D, but you really need to direct them in this area if possible...i.e. the kinds of things you'd like to see on your cake.

Obviously, they won't do themes that put things in a negative light. They also don't have enough of the rights to the Pooh & Friends characters, so they can't do any of that on cakes.

I really like to approach them with a sketch so they have a really good idea of what I want.

tink33

I got a cake for my husband when he turned 30. We were having dinner at Sci Fi. A group of servers brought it out & made it known to the whole place he was turning 30! He said it was the best cake he has ever had.

Zman-ks

Keep in mind that at Ohana's you will be getting an enormous amount of food. Will you have room for cake afterwards?
75.gif

Always room for cake. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom