Advice Needed for 2016 Wine & Dine Half Marathon

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Original Poster
I've decide to run in this year's Wine & Dine Half Marathon - will be my first half marathon. So I have a couple of questions and need some advice, since registration opens up in a couple of weeks.

1. Since this will be my first half marathon, am I being overly ambitious if I do both the Jingle Jungle 5k and half since they are run the same day? I was planning on using the 5k as my "warm up" for the half. I've got lots of time to train (and a partner) for the half and will have run both a 5k and 10k prior to this event, so it won't be my first competitive race.

2. Has the Jingle Jungle always been the same day as the half? If so, what have those of you who have run both done to "recover" between both races? I know to do the walking, re-hydration, protein/carb intake, but want to know if there is something else I should do.

3. Since I will have run a runDisney 10k prior to the deadline for submitting proof of time prior to the August deadline, does runDisney keep that info on file? If not, will I be able to obtain that info easily?

Thanks for all the advice and counsel. I'm looking forward to my first of many half marathons!

Texas84

1. Lots of people do both, you'll need to figure out your sleep schedule. Maybe get an afternoon nap before the half, especially if you want to attend the after party.

2. If you're in half marathon shape you won't need to recover from a 5K. Take it slower than usual and enjoy.

3. You have to submit the time but it's easy to find on the runDisney site. Just look for race results. If you need to e-mail a time after registration those instructions are also on the runDisney web site.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Original Poster
1. Lots of people do both, you'll need to figure out your sleep schedule. Maybe get an afternoon nap before the half, especially if you want to attend the after party.

2. If you're in half marathon shape you won't need to recover from a 5K. Take it slower than usual and enjoy.

3. You have to submit the time but it's easy to find on the runDisney site. Just look for race results. If you need to e-mail a time after registration those instructions are also on the runDisney web site.

Thanks for the answers and advice. I had planned on doing the 5k as more of a brisk 3.1 mile walk, making sure to not impede those actually running the race.

I've got 5 months to train for just the half, since I'm concentrating on the SW 10k in April right now as I want to up my pace so I don't get stuck in the last carrols again for future races.

dreamfinder

The level of ambition is totally your own. Remember you will need to get up early that morning for transportation to the 5k, so it ends up being a 20+ hour day, longer if you stay at the W&D post party til it ends. One year I did the 5k, spent the whole day in the parks, and then did the half that night. Not something I would recommend for most people, but I'm a sucker for pushing myself.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Original Poster
The level of ambition is totally your own. Remember you will need to get up early that morning for transportation to the 5k, so it ends up being a 20+ hour day, longer if you stay at the W&D post party til it ends. One year I did the 5k, spent the whole day in the parks, and then did the half that night. Not something I would recommend for most people, but I'm a sucker for pushing myself.

I plan on taking @Texas84's advice and come back to my room after the 5K for a little R&R and nourishment. The 5K is at 7:00AM, so that's not too bad.... At least I will have a proof of time for this race so I won't be placed in one of the last corrals, waiting for over an hour to start 30 minutes after the race start time.

Texas84

Thanks for the answers and advice. I had planned on doing the 5k as more of a brisk 3.1 mile walk, making sure to not impede those actually running the race.

I've got 5 months to train for just the half, since I'm concentrating on the SW 10k in April right now as I want to up my pace so I don't get stuck in the last carrols again for future races.

Honestly, better to find a small local 10K for a qualifier. As long as they have results posted online you can use it. The SW 10K is not going to move very fast and you will want to take it slow and have fun. There will be a lot to see.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Original Poster
Honestly, better to find a small local 10K for a qualifier. As long as they have results posted online you can use it. The SW 10K is not going to move very fast and you will want to take it slow and have fun. There will be a lot to see.

True, I didn't think about that. We have a running club where I live - I'm sure they have a list of events in the area. Thanks for the advice.

dreamfinder

True, I didn't think about that. We have a running club where I live - I'm sure they have a list of events in the area. Thanks for the advice.

Or you can try looking at sites like active.com, coolrunning.com, runningintheusa.com etc all of which have event calendars. And then once you sign up for and do enough races you get on everyone's mailing lists and you hear about all sorts of fun races.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Original Poster
Or you can try looking at sites like active.com, coolrunning.com, runningintheusa.com etc all of which have event calendars. And then once you sign up for and do enough races you get on everyone's mailing lists and you hear about all sorts of fun races.

Thanks. I forgot about Active.com. But I found a 10k in my area that runs on some great trails around town, mostly greenways, and it also benefits the local animal shelter. So I've signed up for it. :)

JohnByers

Thanks. I forgot about Active.com. But I found a 10k in my area that runs on some great trails around town, mostly greenways, and it also benefits the local animal shelter. So I've signed up for it. :)

That's a win win in my opinion! Good luck!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom