Advice for Trip with First-Timer

dumbo86

Hello. I am planning a trip to WDW for early June to celebrate my 1 year wedding anniversary with my wife. I have been a huge Disney nut since I can remember and she has never been to WDW or any of the parks.

We will be there for 8 days so I want to try to take it slow and just enjoy the atmosphere (as opposed to the constant hurry of getting to the next ride like my dad and I used to do).

Have any of you been in this same situation? If so what are some tips?

I think she is feeling nervous that I have high expectations for her to love it as much as I do and I am nervous that she will not enjoy it. Any and all advice would be much appreciated.

VT GAL

Hi!

I was in the same situation 5 years ago, and I understand the 'pressure' that comes along with planning such a trip!

My best advice is to play to what she likes/is excited to experience. For example my DH is a movie buff, so we went to DHS (well MGM first) and rode Star Tours and watched the Indy Stunt Show. Also, the size and scope of DHS makes the details more accessible, especially since most come from familiar references. Then we eased into the MK by the end of the trip since he thought it was all 'kids' stuff, and by the end he felt like he 'got' things and seeing the castle up close was the cherry on the top.

I would also siuggest starting with EPCOT since that offers the largest offering of subject matter for attractions. Plus it is easy to split up your time there. If you go in the evening, I would start in WS since it is more romantic.

The biggest obstacle was my enthusiasm! I wanted him to love it so much that I sometimes tried too hard. While in reality it wasn't important if he LOVED every attraction and show, but that we had a great time together.

But it sounds like you are taking the right approach with taking it slow and easy!!! Especially since you are going in June, and the crowds could be large and sometimes overwhelming.

I hope that my examples have helped, and that you have a wonderful Anniversary and trip!!!

Shelley

Upvote 0

Monkeymama

I am originally from the Orlando area, a 2 x CP'er and total fanatic so I totally understand the pressure! I am taking my husband and almost 4 yr. old for the first time in a few weeks and, of course, I want them to love every minute of the trip, as I always have!

That said, we are also doing 8 days. That def gives you more time to see "the world." But I do recommend planning those 8 days out to get the most out of them. I would sit down and figure out what days you want to do what parks. Do an ADR for one meal a day based on this. That way you are not searching for a restaurant and just ending up where the wait time is the shortest. I just told my boss to do this and she did not and said she regretted it, big time.

For example, we will do 1 at MK with dinner at Crystal Palace, 2 at AK with dinner at Jiko, 3 at the Studios with breakfast at Boma, 4 at EPCOT with dinner in Canada, 5 at DTD with breakfast at O'Hana, 6 at MK with dinner at Cinderella's Table, 7 at AK with dinner at Yak and 8 at MK with breakfast at Chef Mickey's.

This gives us some general structure for the trip and with 8 days, enough time to be where we need to be but still play and enjoy.

Have fun! Planning is part of it!

Upvote 0

dumbo86

Original Poster
Thank you very much for your advice!

VT Gal, I think I will have the same problem with my enthusiasm. I think we may do EPCOT first and just enjoy the park.

Monkeymama, thank you for your help. I am trying to figure out the budget and as of now, splurging on a Deluxe Resort is winning out over the Dining Plan. I think this could be the only time we will ever be able to afford it (with the 3 nights free). If we do this, we will need to be more frugle when it comes to our meals. I am thinking, hopefully, a nice anniversary meal at The California Grill, but that may be it.

Do you think that getting the Dining Plan and eating at nicer restuarants and staying at POR (which I love) would be better than eating more quick service meals and staying at WL or AKL?

I am still weighing my options. Thanks for your help.

Upvote 0

VT GAL

Hi again!!!

We love the dining plan, because it makes life really easy and forces us to take a break every day. For us, the DDP makes sense since we eat 3 meals a day (we use a snack for breakfast-usually a bagel) and don't mind slowing down for a meal.

I would recommend trying your best to get into Le Cellier and Tusker House for lunch. Those are our 2 must-eats at the park. Boatwrights is great, too! If you don't get into Le Cellier, always check in at Guest Relations in the park because people are always cancelling.

Shelley

Upvote 0

coachjt

Absolutely go for the dining plan, POR can be quite romantic. The DDP takes alot of stress out of the trip. And if you are like most of us, we spend little time at the resort. With the DDP you can still plan a nice dinner at the few resturants that has alreadt been mentioned. We like CR at epcot.

Besides you can control your spending alot better with the DDP, where as if you just wing it, you never know what you will spend. Before we go we search the restraunts and menues and we know almost to the penny what we will spend. Useing the plan you will find that you will have many fine meals insead of just one. Just about anywhere on-prperty you decide to eat, You probably can use the DDP anyway. If you want to do something really special, Go to poly for the luau, tell them its your anniversary.

I think if you want a well rounded trip. then DDP is the way to go...just my two disney sense worth....

Upvote 0

dumbo86

Original Poster
coachjt, your two disney cents are very much appreciated. I think I am going with POR even though I would love to stay at WL and might not be able to afford it down the road unless we save for a longer time. I think the more secluded atmosphere of POR-AB will be much nicer for my wife. I can see her getting a little overwhelmed with all the people and crowds and although WL looks amazing, I think the quiet pools and seclusion on POR will fit our needs best.

I keep doing calculations and I do not think the DDP is going to be much of a benefit for us (However I did not think of using the snack for breakfast...thanks VT).

Because tips are no longer included in the DDP, I just don't think the numbers are adding up right now. The DDP is most cost effective if you go to the higher end restuarants often, but those tips add up.

So for 2 people for 7 nights (8 days but only dinner on day 1 and everything but dinner on day 8...so 7 fulls dining days) it is an extra $500. That is under $40 a day which is great but I do not see us eating bagels every day for braekfast so if we eat breakfast for 4 mornings that is anoter $120 ($15 each). So total food we are looking at $620 plus tips at nice restaurants.

Do you think these tips will still make it cost-effective? I think if we do this we will not go to a restaurant that uses 2 meals off the DDP so we wouldn't have to buy a dinner another night.

If the DDP doesn't work out, I will try to think of another way to "splurge" like maybe give the DW a day at the spa.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Upvote 0

Rob562

Dumbo86, if you haven't booked your hotel yet, you might want to do it soon (you'd said you were still weighing your hotel options). The "Buy 4, Get 3" special offer must be booked by Jan 24th, and it's your best price for hotels in June.

As for having a relaxing time in the parks, do NOT plan out your days. Don't go all commando in your schedule and planning. Don't feel like you have to make sure that your wife sees EVERYTHING in the parks. It's near impossible to do that in a week and still come out with your sanity.
Take it easy, stroll from one place to another. Go into the parks with perhaps 2 or 3 things that you feel you really want to do, and do them. If you miss something, you'll see it on your next trip.

One of the most romantic things I can think of to do in WDW is to stroll through World Showcase after Illuminations and most of the crowds have left.
Watch Illuminations from between Mexico and Norway (my favorite spot). Then after the show's over, find a nearby bench to sit down and rest for at LEAST 20 minutes. People-watch as the masses stream past you on their way out. As the crowds start to thin out, start walking the OPPOSITE way around World Showcase from everyone else. By the time you get to Germany or Italy, very few people will be around.
And don't worry about security giving you a hard time, they don't start clearing the park until at least an hour after park closing (to allow for late diners who were seated right before closing time).

-Rob

Upvote 0

dumbo86

Original Poster
Thanks Rob.

Ya I am booking the hotel either tonight or tomorrow. I think I am settled on POR and hoping to be able to request the Alligator Bayou area. I am waiting to do a very detailed analysis on the Disney Dining Plan (by that I mean going though the trip and get a rough estimate of what we would spend without it vs with the plan plus tips).

Thanks for the info about illuminations. I will definitely take your advice. I am really looking forward to this trip because 1. Its my first time with my wife and 2. It will be relaxing.

In past trips, my dad and I would use the parades and fireworks as oportunities for short lines and major attractions. To be honest the only time I have watched illuminations is in passing while hurrying to Mission Space or Soarin. I loved it as a teenager, but now I am looking forward to just enjoying a more relaxed trip with my wife.

Last couple questions about the Dining Plan: can I add it on to my package after my initial booking and if we are staying 8 days/7 nights, would the dining be for 8 or 7 days? If 8, is there any way to have an 8 day ticket and only have 7 days on the Dining Plan (we will not need it for lunch on the first day or dinner on the last day).

Thanks again.

Upvote 0

Rob562

Ya I am booking the hotel either tonight or tomorrow. I think I am settled on POR and hoping to be able to request the Alligator Bayou area.

If you're booking online, there will be a blank for "Special Requests". Just put "Prefer Aligator Bayou". If you have a couple buildings in mind, put them there instead. I'd suggest 14, 18 or 27.
If you're booking on the phone, ask the Cast Member to note your request on your reservation.

Last couple questions about the Dining Plan: can I add it on to my package after my initial booking and if we are staying 8 days/7 nights, would the dining be for 8 or 7 days? If 8, is there any way to have an 8 day ticket and only have 7 days on the Dining Plan (we will not need it for lunch on the first day or dinner on the last day).

You can add the Dining Plan onto an existing package reservation at any time, even after the 45-day window. (I think there *is* an actual cut-off point where you can't, but I think it's somewhere in the single-digits before your trip) Because you're adding to the price of your package, Disney will waive the change fee. Though you'll have to be prepared to pay the extra amount in-full at the time you call if you add it inside the 45-day window.

The number of meal credits you get is based on hotel room nights, not the length of your park tickets. (And similarly, your park tickets aren't linked to the length of your hotel stay, so the number of days on your ticket doesn't have to be the same as your hotel reservation)
So if you're there for 7-nights/8-days, each person will get 7 of each type of credit. And the credits expire at the *end* of your checkout day, so you can still use them even after you've checked out.

-Rob

Upvote 0

DISMOM

Wilderness Lodge is much smaller and more confined than POR.
Therefore less people.
Wilderness Lodge only has 780ish rooms and POR has many, many more than that.
THe water shuttle to Magic Kingdom from the Wilderness Lodge is the best ever. A great way to relax after a day at the Magic.

Upvote 0

Glasgow

Tip #1 .. You can't force Disney Love.

I find that the more that I want to impress someone with Disney the more likely they are to say 'meh'. Just let it all happen.

Tip #2 .. Don't miss the night time shows.

I think these are most impressive and are the best single shows/attractions to show to a new person because of the emotional involvement and shear technical complexity.

Have fun!

Upvote 0

eroyee

If you are staying at POR, which is our favorite resort, be sure to book a carriage ride for her. that is a nice touch and not expensive. also, dont miss spectromagic and wishes. Take the boat to DTD at night for a romantic ride. See Piano Bob in the lobby at night,too. and make a reservation at Boatwrights. have a magical trip. we have till Dec. to wait.......:cry:

Upvote 0

juscet

I just took my wife, who I knew did not love it as much as I did. My best advice would be to not put any pressure on her. If she feels you are pressing she may be turned off by the whole experience. Just give her the opportunity to plan with you and make sure you do a lot of things she may want to do, even if it is just time to relax by the pool.:)

Upvote 0

VT GAL

I could not agree more about having a carriage ride at POR!!!!! We did this on our last trip, and it was so relaxing and it gave us a chance to reflect on our trip. To make a reservation, you call the recreation phone number. If you decide to do this, tell Prince Charming that I say hello! :)

Upvote 0

Dayma

I would say to take it slow and don't try to convince her how "cool" something is. Also don't talk up every ride before you get on. Let her opinion form by having no expectations...

Upvote 0

Edisto Pluto

Take your time. Enjoy all of the things like people,architecture,landscaping, sounds,smells.........Take a tour. Take a day just to do nothing. Plan for just a few things each day and play the rest as it comes. Enjoy the supper break. Go to a nice restaurant and take your time. There are so many things to enjoy at WDW that are of a very personal perspective. Have a great time!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom