Admission tickets can be used for room entry

Rob562

Original Poster
Just got back yesterday from an 8-night trip. Going into the trip I had a couple hypotheses I wanted to try out to see if the MDE system operated the way I presumed it did.

One of these was to see if our admission tickets would work to get into the room, since they show as RFID cards linked to our MDE profiles, and having a "pointer" to the profile was all that was needed. Sure enough, they did. All the park tickets (purchased from a ticket reseller) worked for both of our rooms at both resorts we stayed at. It also worked for the RFID card left over from my AP that expired a year ago.

The only oddity was that the park ticket for my friend who left a few days earlier than the rest of us didn't work on our departure day. It *might* be because it was only a 5-day ticket and all the days had been used up, whereas the rest of us still had one more day left on our tickets to be used that day, but I'm not sure.

Now that those tickets have been fully used up, I'll be interested to see if I can use those tickets to get into the rooms on future trips or not.

So the bottom line is that people wanting to get an RFID card from the hotel to use instead of the MagicBand may not have to deal with asking the front desk to do that in the first place, as long as they have another RFID card linked to their profile.

-Rob

Tom

Beta Return
Very interesting and helpful information.

For this to apply, guests should understand that they'd only have ticket media if they booked room only (or DVC) and purchased tickets separately from Disney or a legitimate wholesaler, like you did.

Otherwise, they'd only have Magic Bands, and would have to request a card at check in, like you said.

Your theory about your friend's card not opening the door after the ticket expired makes sense. To Disney, that card is essentially junk, null and void, the minute it expires. It can never be used as a ticket again, so it makes sense to just purge it from the system, for security reasons.

Now, had your friend received the card as an alternative to a MB, it would have worked until the package was over.

You'll definitely confirm your theory when you return, if your standalone tickets don't open your door (I suspect they won't).

Thanks again for the info.

GymLeaderPhil

Even if the entitlement on the RFID card has expired or has been fully utilized, it shouldn't prevent you from reusing it to access elements linked to your MDX account. Those pieces of media will ALWAYS reflect what's on your account just like a debit card will always reflect the money you have in the bank.

Are you sure the card used wasn't changed from active to lost or keepsake? Or was he removed from the room reservation?

(Also, to add, while the media may be used to do certain thing, it doesn't necessarily mean the Cast Member will recognize it if you present it for certain things like purchases or discounts...)

Rob562

Original Poster
Even if the entitlement on the RFID card has expired or has been fully utilized, it shouldn't prevent you from reusing it to access elements linked to your MDX account. Those pieces of media will ALWAYS reflect what's on your account just like a debit card will always reflect the money you have in the bank.

Are you sure the card used wasn't changed from active to lost or keepsake? Or was he removed from the room reservation?

(Also, to add, while the media may be used to do certain thing, it doesn't necessarily mean the Cast Member will recognize it if you present it for certain things like purchases or discounts...)

He has his own MDE profile now, so I'll have to have him log in and check its status the next time I see him.
It's status wasn't changed by me, and I doubt he'd even know that he could go in and change it. All cards and Bands worked when I tried them on check-in day, I didn't re-try them until the checkout day. I had his ticket card, but he took both his Bands with him so I couldn't try those.

If it wasn't because of the ticket expiring, the only thing I can think of is that because he left on Tuesday afternoon (we checked out on Friday) and they had his departure flight info perhaps they deactivated him from the reservation. That's the only other alternative I can come up with to explain it.

-Rob

RonAnnArbor

I found that once I threw a fit and was issued a room RFID key instead of the wristband after many visits, that I didn't even need it -- my Season Pass works as my room key as well..as long as it is an RFID card. Apparently all they do is associate your MDE information with your stuff -- and it works everywhere. Back to happily using one card. The one downside is that the park employees treat you like a criminal for early entry hours -- they pull you aside and check your information on their computer screens while the rest of the world merrily walks by using their wristbands -- though having a wristband is no guarantee they are staying at a resort either anymore.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom