Actual Opening Times vs. Stated Opening Times

jtwdw

Do the parks stick to the scheduled opening times or do they still open 30 minutes to an hour before the stated time?

I am not talking about Extra Magic Hour, but actual times you can get into the park on Non-Early Entry Days. I know several years ago it was common to open Main St in MK 30 minutes to 1 hour before the rest of the park. Is this still the case or have things changed?

What is the opening procedure for each of the 4 parks? Is this the same on Extra Magic Hour days as well?

Just want to make sure we are that at the actual opening time and don't show up and find the parks already packed.

Thanks.

Tom

Beta Return
Originally posted by jtwdw
Do the parks stick to the scheduled opening times or do they still open 30 minutes to an hour before the stated time?

I am not talking about Extra Magic Hour, but actual times you can get into the park on Non-Early Entry Days. I know several years ago it was common to open Main St in MK 30 minutes to 1 hour before the rest of the park. Is this still the case or have things changed?

What is the opening procedure for each of the 4 parks? Is this the same on Extra Magic Hour days as well?

Just want to make sure we are that at the actual opening time and don't show up and find the parks already packed.

Thanks.

Official opening time is 9:00am for most of the parks. I remember back in the 80's and early 90s when they actually would open early, but that's when they could afford to staff it. The last 2 years, the rope actually dropped at 9:00am precisely, after the big announcement.

If you get to the turnstiles at or before 8:30, you are usually let onto the park's "Main Street" - don't we miss the good 'ol days? We've lost so much that we used to have....

Upvote 0

jtwdw

Original Poster
Thanks for the response.

I have a 2002 edition of the "Unofficial Guide..." and it still suggested to arrive 40 - 60 minutes prior to scheduled opening, since they usually opened early. I guess that edition went to press prior to 9/11 and the cut backs.

Upvote 0

tigger1968

I would still get there that early...You won't necessarily be admitted to the park itself, but you will be one of the first into the "holding area" and will therefore be one of the first after the rope drop. You will still beat the crowds that way.

Upvote 0

kurros

DAK, Disney-MGM, and Epcot do normally open to general guests ~30mins before official time (except on Extra Magic Hour days). I guess MK still has tradition to keep to, though--that's actually the only park i've never managed to get to early. Keep in mind there usually isn't much to do past the main corridor yet. The main shops might be open, and any breakfast places, but mostly its just opened earlier help guest flow.

Upvote 0

madalex

When we were at WDW in mid-Feb, on non-early open days, they started letting people through the turnstiles about 8:30, but did not let people go through the tunnel under the railroad track. About 8:45, they would do a little show where the train would pull in full of characters. There was some singing and dancing and then they would "officially" open the park around 8:50. Only then were people allowed into the park and down Main Street.

Upvote 0

wdwfan22

As of December 03 (all info is for Non-Early Entry Days)

Disney-MGM Studios - 10 min prior to 9 only to be held at another rope. The MGM welcome annoucement needs help.

Epcot - 30 minutes prior to opening. Is it just me or does the Character bus just not fit in to the whole Epcot theme.

Magic Kingdom - 15 minutes prior to opening, held by the tunnel entrance for the Good Morning Show.

So as you can see no one gets past a certain point till 9am at any of the parks.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom