ACRONYMS - What The ?

Shoe

Original Poster
I am considered a "Theme Park Commando" by all my friends and I do believe it myself. I know the best places to stand for parades, the best place to position oneself in a mass que and the best seats in the respective houses. But in many of the forums here people are using acronyms like a second language that sometimes need a secret decoder ring. Many times in business meetings I would stop the person talking to ask, "What does that acronym you just used translate to?" and more often than not they couldn't tell me. I don't know if it's snobbery or laziness but if you are going to use an acronym you are supposed to spell it out the first time you use it in a paragraph. It's bad enough with text messaging "text-onics". Unless the WDW.Magic forums want to supply a list of acronym deffinitions I would ask that people actually spell out what they want to say. Lost in the Translation, SHOE P.S. - This is a request and not meant to sound spitefull.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
To put it bluntly: No.

There are several resources around the web which list various WDW acronyms, you have to find them - or if you ask nicely people may point you to them.

Also, again if you asked nicely, folks would gladly tell you what any acronym means.

k.hunter30

You're a new member -- try checking out the New Member forum. I believe one of the threads (if not the very first one) will lead you to this: http://www.wdwmagic.com/acronyms.htm

It took me a while to remember them all, and there's some I still have to look up. But get used to the acronyms - it saves us posters quite a bit of time.

Welcome! :wave:

Since1976

http://www.wdwmagic.com/acronyms.htm

On ANY message board, you'll find yourself surrounded with people who have gotten into a groove, and acronyms are a part of that.

Just like you won't see people write out THe EMPIRE STRIKES BACK on a STAR WARS message board (ESB will suffice), you won't see people spell out MNSSHP (Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party) on here. Is it annoying for newcomers? Perhaps, but it's definitely not intentionally rude. Newbies to ANY forum are usually encouraged to lurk and learn before asking questions.

Just my .02.

BTW, in 4 years here, I *still* run into acronyms I don't know. It's not that hard to look 'em up.

lumpydj

k.hunter and since - very nice of you to supply the link to the acronyms, while ignoring the "lecture".

Shoe, I have not posted much on these board but have lurked for quite some time. I have noticed that if you immediately take the high and mighty, preacher tone (which your post did come off a bit that way), then be prepared to be blasted by others. These 2 were very nice in noticing that you were new and helped you. Word to the wise - ask nicely first...

BTW (by the way) - Welcome to the boards :wave:

maggiegrace1

Welcome to the boards..You will love it here..I do..:)

Feel free to type out the whole word if you want..I sometimes do and it does not bother me when others do...

Anything else..feel free to ask...someone will help you..:)

k.hunter30

I can't resist...

Michael Scott: Everybody in here. STAT. No time to lose. Cri-Man-Squa. F and C, doubletime.
Dwight Schrute: Cri-Man-Squa?
Michael Scott: Crisis Management Squad.
Ryan Howard: F and C, doubletime?
Michael Scott: Front and Center. Twice as fast as you would normally go. Any other questions?
Jim Halpert: One more. Why are you talking like that?
Michael Scott: To save time, Jim.
Karen: Actually I think you could make the argument that it wastes time.
Pam Beesly: Yeah, she has a good point. I mean, for example, with the last thing you said, by the time you explained it, it actually took up more time.

Where are my "The Office" fans...?:lookaroun

Shoe

Original Poster
Thanks to everyone. I hoped that I didn't sound rude. I didn't mean to. That's the problem with e-mailing is that there is no inflection to be heard other than seeing an emoticon. I just have this thing about our society getting away from actually talkig to each other. Thanks to all who gave their advice. By the way.....If any of you go to Halloween Horror Nights....I'll be the Harley riding evil demented clown you will encounter in the Holywood area. Stop by and say "BOO!". Is that an acronym?

k.hunter30

Thanks to everyone. I hoped that I didn't sound rude. I didn't mean to. That's the problem with e-mailing is that there is no inflection to be heard other than seeing an emoticon. I just have this thing about our society getting away from actually talkig to each other. Thanks to all who gave their advice. By the way.....If any of you go to Halloween Horror Nights....I'll be the Harley riding evil demented clown you will encounter in the Holywood area. Stop by and say "BOO!". Is that an acronym?
You're dressing up as an evil CLOWN?! :eek: :dazzle: :brick:
*insert sarcasm inflection*
I take back being polite! Grrrr...

I'm not a fan of clowns... :lookaroun *shudders*

lilclerk

Thanks to everyone. I hoped that I didn't sound rude. I didn't mean to. That's the problem with e-mailing is that there is no inflection to be heard other than seeing an emoticon.

I completely agree with that (even though my last post was just two smilies :lookaroun)
But the acronyms do take some getting used to. I never even knew there was an acronym list, so I had to figure them out for myself. It seems like a new one pops up every day, but eventually they get easier to figure out.

Since1976

No problem, and welcome to the boards!

BTW, I hope I didn't come off as mean either. It really is tough to get your meaning across without resorting to an excess of smilies.

:ROFLOL: :p :wave: :cool: :lol: :ROFLOL: :brick: :dazzle: :)

lumpydj

I can't resist...

Michael Scott: Everybody in here. STAT. No time to lose. Cri-Man-Squa. F and C, doubletime.
Dwight Schrute: Cri-Man-Squa?
Michael Scott: Crisis Management Squad.
Ryan Howard: F and C, doubletime?
Michael Scott: Front and Center. Twice as fast as you would normally go. Any other questions?
Jim Halpert: One more. Why are you talking like that?
Michael Scott: To save time, Jim.
Karen: Actually I think you could make the argument that it wastes time.
Pam Beesly: Yeah, she has a good point. I mean, for example, with the last thing you said, by the time you explained it, it actually took up more time.

Where are my "The Office" fans...?:lookaroun

I LOVE The Office. :ROFLOL:
You're dressing up as an evil CLOWN?! :eek: :dazzle: :brick:
I take back being polite! Grrrr...

I'm not a fan of clowns... :lookaroun *shudders*

I'm petrified of clowns :eek: . Good thing I won't be there!

Shoe

Original Poster
(Singing) "What is life without a good scare? This is Halloween, this is Halloween..." They're making me do it (and paying me very nicely, thank you). It was an accident, it could have happened to anybody! Rehearsals start next week. I'm doing the HM......I mean....the Haunted Mansion tomorrow morning (Annual Pass Holder). Can't wait.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom