about the universal topic

Pat571

Original Poster
yea i tried to post there but they closed it so im just gonna post my reply here since it took me a while to write.
back a few years ago my family and i went to disney for a week (we still do) and Universal for one day before IOA opened. we where done the park in less the half a day. Universal studios is not even as near as nice as any disney park. we never went to IOA becuase we heard from many many people that the only really good thing about it is the 2 rollercoasters and that is it. if you notice disney themes every single ride they have. im 16 and i still love rides like the pirates of the carribean. i think disney is trying to turn MGM into more of a thrill park with TOT and RRC. universal doesnt have the land, thats the problem, they are in the middle of town you could say and they used up almost everything they got. they are going to have to make due with what they have. to us its a family traditon to go every year and i think its like that for alot of familes.

this isnt really a war like the coke vs. pepsi thing. im sure one park wont shut the other down but i see that universal already reached its limit. i find disney much more appealing becuase of how conveiniant they make it, with all the hotels bus transportation and everything else right there. you really cant spend a week at universal, there isnt enough there.
disney is just to big to beat, i dont even think universal is one of the top tourist destinations like disney is, but i could be wrong. i see the men in black ride as a almost copy off of the buzz lightyear ride which was built first while everyone praises the MIB ride as the first of its kind. i think disney will always be better then universal.

so what do you think?

stingrock23

Disney is more of a tourist attraction/draw than universal studios. Disney has more land, hotels, and parks, but Universal is growing. All of IOA's attractions are themed well, but i dont' think they can catch disney just because the disney name is automatically associated with the parks. Universal has more hotel plans in the works, and additions to the existing parks. I dont' know if they have enough land to build a 3rd park, but it's possible. I dont' think they have reached their limit, but i dont' think they'll reach the vastness of Disney either. Disney has so much more land that hasn't even been used yet, which means they'lll always be bigger, even if bigger isn't necessarily better.

I go to Disney for the atmosphere. I go to IoA for "the thrill."

IoA has a lot of amazing things to see and do -- Both coasters, Spiderman, the three water rides, and The Cat in the Hat Ride are enough to get me back there one day each trip. I love it.

And I must say that Universal Studios has improved. I always liked it, but with the addition of Terminator 3-D and, more importantly, MIB, it's a fun park to go to (though I haven't been there in two years now).

But for every trip to Florida, we would never spend more than one day at Universal. Disney is just so much more inviting/welcoming and while maybe we don't get as much thrill, we get a lot more pleasure out of just being there.

BlueFairy2

Disney is more family oriented. like if you don't like rollercoasters then there's other things. i've never been but i dout US has a toontown fair type thing. and WDW is better for people from other places cause it has more hotels. ntm, it has been around longer. and all the 'rents liked disney when they were kids now they want to go with their kids. you never hear the history of US.

i am BlueFairy,member since march, but i tried to sign on 1 day and they wouldn't let me so i registered again as BlueFairy2

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
just a few things to say...

1- there was a reason the first UO discussion was closed... it got ugly. This one is already being watched.

2-BlueFairy2, they have Toon Lagoon over at IOA

3-TMP, High Quality Amusement RESORT.. I mean, they do have 2 parks, 3 5-star hotels, nightime entertainment/shopping district, and convention facilities. They at least deserve to be called an Amusement Resort

mikebrakes

When I went in May, I went to both US and IOA on the same day and pretty much saw everything I wanted to. There were a couple of shows I missed, but I didn't want to see them bad enough to go a second day.

Other than Jurassic park and Spiderman, IOA is basically a roller caoster park. (Since I'm an adult and don't have kids I skipped right over Suessland or whatever it is called.) It's more thrill oriented.

Disney, on the other hand, seemed to have a better mix to me. There's something to do for all age groups. You could stay a week and still not see everything. That's one of the reasons people go back.

US/IOA has plenty to offer and can give Disney competition, but they'll never replace Disney!

Rider

Originally posted by mikebrakes

(Since I'm an adult and don't have kids I skipped right over Suessland or whatever it is called.) It's more thrill oriented.

As I teen, I didn't spend much time there. But the atomosphere is awsome. That area is just so amzingly done.

Talsonic

Account Suspended
Universal is King of Horror!

Let's not do the apples and oranges comparision. It's unfair. Disney has never made a good horror movie but Universal is the master in this area. Disney has beloved characters, while Universal has....well nothing but a bunch of super freaks.

tmp

Originally posted by mktiggerman
just a few things to say...

3-TMP, High Quality Amusement RESORT.. I mean, they do have 2 parks, 3 5-star hotels, nightime entertainment/shopping district, and convention facilities. They at least deserve to be called an Amusement Resort

Point taken - you are right. I know that Disney can survive without Universal (it has been done.) My question is if Disney closed down today would Universal still be such an attractive Vacation destination? How many people do you know, not from Florida, that say I am going to Universal. Plenty of people go on vacation to WDW. I just think Universal feeds more off of Disney then Vice Versa. I personally like them both, but Disney is just more special to me.

Rider

But if Disney closed down, where would people go for things like it? Universal.

Anyway, I know a few times people said they were going to Universal (I have, my last time in Orlando was Disney free). I think, however, that most people going to Orlando will do more than one thing, and they will likely say what most people know: "Im going to Disney World". Even though they are going to Disney, Universal, Sea World, Grandma's house, etc. etc.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom