A pristine Magic Kingdom from Nov '71 - Restored Home Movie footage

wdwms

Original Poster
@BrianPMiles was nice enough to send me a reel of film that he obtained from a garage sale. The film canister said "Florida November '71" and he took the chance that there was some WDW footage on it. Well his curiosity paid off, sandwiched between visits to Silver Springs and other Florida attractions was pristine footage of the Magic Kingdom in November 1971 - at this point this is the earliest post-opening film of WDW that I've ever seen.

After the obligitory pan of Main Street USA, we can see the Christmas decorations are up for the holiday season. A view from the Plaza restaurat shows construction just beyond Tomorrowland and the original yellow Swan Boat landing. From there the film dives into a world of scenery and landscape - beautifully showing how the park was just after opening. Incredible shots of 20k, Fantasyland, and the Sunshine Tree Terrace. The now famous Jungle Cruise Frogs make their appearance at the 3:17 mark followed by the remainder of the attraction, sans any dense foliage. Shots from the Seven Seas Lagoon and Main Street round out the day followed by some wonderful shots of Liberty Square, Frontierland and Tomorrowland all lit by twilight. The film ends at sunset, panning over from one of the bridges on the hub with just a hint of the castle in silloute.

Enjoy and be sure to say thanks to @BrianPMiles via twitter!

Technical Notes: The film was in incredible shape, we litterlly didn't do much to it other than some grain reduction, sharpening and some minor color tweaks. There was some in-attraction footage, specifically Mickey Mouse Review, Small World, Tiki Birds and Country Bears - we left this footage on the cutting room floor as most of it was very dark and grainy. We have better footage of those attractions coming in the next few weeks.

Video here: https://www.retrodisneyworld.com/re...ngdom-from-nov-71-restored-home-movie-footage

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I would love to see the footage of the other Florida attractions especially Silver Springs. I must have made a dozen or so trips there during the 70's with my grandparents.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Glass bottom boats!
That plus the jungle cruise and the car museum that had on site for a while. I remember them having an authentic Tucker Torpedo.

We were going to make a trip there this summer, but I found out that the place is a shell of what it once was.

Nemo14

That plus the jungle cruise and the car museum that had on site for a while. I remember them having an authentic Tucker Torpedo.

We were going to make a trip there this summer, but I found out that the place is a shell of what it once was.
We used to go every summer when our kids were little. We took my mom back there a couple of years ago, and it was really kind of sad to see it that way - power boats passing us in the river and everything. She still loved it though, so it was worth the trip.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
We used to go every summer when our kids were little. We took my mom back there a couple of years ago, and it was really kind of sad to see it that way - power boats passing us in the river and everything. She still loved it though, so it was worth the trip.
The last time I went was probably 15-16 years ago when the park seemed to be at its peak. They had the jungle cruise, a Florida wildlife section with Florida panthers, a reptile section, 2 completely separate glass bottom boat tours and the petting zoo.

I think they are now down to kayaking tours and the glass bottom boat.

Nemo14

The last time I went was probably 15-16 years ago when the park seemed to be at its peak. They had the jungle cruise, a Florida wildlife section with Florida panthers, a reptile section, 2 completely separate glass bottom boat tours and the petting zoo.

I think they are now down to kayaking tours and the glass bottom boat.
Having other power boats in that part of the river really bothered me because I remember how crystal clear it used to be, and how they pointed that out on the boat tours.

but I do hope to go kayaking there this winter...
redface.gif

Clamman73

Here's a pic from August '81 from what I'm pretty sure is Silver Springs car museum - I'm on the left hand side. This is the one?
Edit: it doesn't look totally like one you might be thinking about...
silversprings1cropped.jpeg

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Here's a pic from August '81 from what I'm pretty sure is Silver Springs car museum - I'm on the left hand side. This is the one?
Edit: it doesn't look totally like one you might be thinking about...
View attachment 61872
I seem to remember it being green, but it was more than a decade ago. It just might as well have been purple with pink dots on it.:)

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Having other power boats in that part of the river really bothered me because I remember how crystal clear it used to be, and how they pointed that out on the boat tours.

but I do hope to go kayaking there this winter...
redface.gif
I thought the same thing.:(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom