A new version of "Journey Into Imagination" (on a budget) (open brainstorming)

mharrington

Original Poster
As the Imagination Institute theme appears to be slowly disappearing from the Imagination pavilion (and with Figment receiving his own meet-n-greet space), I thought it would be a good idea to finally put the Imagination Institute theme out of its misery and bring back a new version of the old Journey Into Imagination ride.

However, I want to try and be as realistic as possible, which means (for better or worse) repurposing the ride track from its current iteration as much as possible. When the ride was overhauled in 1999, the track from the original 1983 ride was cut short. But I still want to see what can be done with the limited space that is there. I don't know what, however. All I know is that Dr. Nigel Channing and the Imagination Institute will finally be removed and Dreamfinder will be back, along with Figment.

Any ideas?

MickeyMouse10

I definitely would get rid of the screens and bring back Dreamfinder at the beginning of the ride. I'm sure someone has the animatronic of it somewhere.

MickeyMouse10

But I have no idea how to do a ride like the original in the limited space available.

I don't really like the lab concept. I think if you just change the theming of the ride it would make it vastly better.

For instance, if you go back to the original concept and make it about going into "a World of Imagination". I think it could be an improvement. Doing that could make it more fun and less sterile like a lab or hospital.

mharrington

Original Poster
I don't really like the lab concept. I think if you just change the theming of the ride it would make it vastly better.

For instance, if you go back to the original concept and make it about going into "a World of Imagination". I think it could be an improvement. Doing that could make it more fun and less sterile like a lab or hospital.

The lab concept would be removed, but the track itself would have to remain the same. Hence my "on a budget" statement. I just don't know how to do the World of Imagination concept in such a limited space.

Last edited:

MickeyMouse10

What I'm thinking is you could go inside Figment's giant head via his mouth and see the 5 senses.

Touch

Figment uses his first sense while...
(at the beach, playing in the snow and climbing a mountain)​
Sight

Figment travels across America seeing different sights
(The Statue Liberty, Parasailing over Mount Rushmore and driving on Golden Gate Bridge)​

Taste

Figment eats all different types of food
(ice cream, popcorn, pizza, apples, bananas and oranges)​

Sound

Figment as different Musical Artists
(The Beatles, Kiss, Beethoven, Elvis and Michael Jackson)​

Smell

Figment is last seen as a....
(firefighter in a smokey house, skipping through a field of flowers and hanging out with a skunk)​

mharrington

Original Poster
What I'm thinking is you could go inside Figment's giant head via his mouth and see the 5 senses.

Touch

Figment uses his first sense while...
(at the beach, playing in the snow and climbing a mountain)​
Sight

Figment travels across America seeing different sights
(The Statue Liberty, Parasailing over Mount Rushmore and driving on Golden Gate Bridge)​

Taste

Figment eats all different types of food
(ice cream, popcorn, pizza, apples, bananas and oranges)​

Sound

Figment as different Musical Artists
(The Beatles, Kiss, Beethoven, Elvis and Michael Jackson)​

Smell

Figment is last seen as a....
(firefighter in a smokey house, skipping through a field of flowers and hanging out with a skunk)​

What about sight? And how would they all fit inside the limited space provided by the new ride? I like the concept, but I don't think it would fit. And how would Dreamfinder fit in?

Evilgidgit

This is the current layout of the attraction:

47+Imagination+Layout+2002.png

MickeyMouse10

What about sight? And how would they all fit inside the limited space provided by the new ride? I like the concept, but I don't think it would fit. And how would Dreamfinder fit in?

He would use his sight in traveling around America and seeing the sights.

Just an idea I was pondering. I'm not sure on the precise layouts of each, I'd have to study it more.

MickeyMouse10

I'm thinking it could be made up of 7 scenes.

Scene 1 - Dreamfinder welcomes you into Figment's brain
Scene 2 - Sound
Scene 3 - Touch
Scene 4 - Smell
Scene 5 - Taste
Scene 6 - Sight
Scene 7 - Figment goes to Space

DlpPhantom

With in show stops like how the current version does it, there is easily enough track for about a 6-8 minute ride. The problem with the current ride isn't length just that there is no memorable scenes or sets outside of Figment's house and the finale, which makes the ride feel shorter than it actually is.

You could also consider a pre-show in some of the queue or Imageworks space to do some expositing before the guests board the ride itself.

TheSorcerersApprentice

I think it could actually be a lot of fun to make Journey into Imagination, more of an interactive experience, maybe some sort of evolved version of Goofy's Playhouse at Tokyo Disneyland's Toontown or variations of that sort of games where either scenes are still based on senses (like activating various smells or sounds through various games), or maybe go back to the idea of visiting sections based on art, science, literature and other forms of expressions of imagination. Even something more abstract like Colors, Shapes, Sounds or just a theme of dreams, rim sleep, nightmares etc. could work.

mharrington

Original Poster
I think it could actually be a lot of fun to make Journey into Imagination, more of an interactive experience, maybe some sort of evolved version of Goofy's Playhouse at Tokyo Disneyland's Toontown or variations of that sort of games where either scenes are still based on senses (like activating various smells or sounds through various games), or maybe go back to the idea of visiting sections based on art, science, literature and other forms of expressions of imagination. Even something more abstract like Colors, Shapes, Sounds or just a theme of dreams, rim sleep, nightmares etc. could work.

That's pretty much what I was thinking: something like the original ride (art, literature, etc.), but within the confines of the current space.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom