A little disappointed in Disney concerning miliary room rates

mwlillie

A few months ago went to make reservations at Caribbean Beach (standard room). However, found out that there was no availability for the time period needed (1st week of November), so decided to book a garden view room at Port Orleans Riverside.

I retired from the United States Air Force a few years ago and have always (when available) used the discount that Disney gives to retired military on room rates. Because the current discount period previously ended in the beginning of October 2015, discounts did not apply to the rooms I had reserved.

When I made my reservations, the Disney agent informed me that if the military discount was extended to include the period I had made my “standard” reservations for, I could then call Disney and has the new rate applied.

An announcement was made by Disney yesterday that the current Military discounts were being extended through the end of the year. I called to change my reservations to the new rate as soon as they were available.

Here is where my minor disappointment starts. When I called to have the new rate applied, I was informed that the only rooms available for the “new/extended” discount were priced 10 to 20 percent higher, at a minimum, to the room I was already booked into (garden view at Port Orleans Riverside). In this case I had to book a “Royal” room.

Yes, the new discount still saves me a significant amount of money, but because the only rooms available are among the higher prices rooms in each resort. I feel that by only having the higher priced rooms available (and yes I am well aware that we are only four to six months from the extension period and thus the types of rooms available are somewhat limited) Disney is in a sense reducing the discount afforded to current and former military members by a very significant amount (in my case a “stated” 35 percent discount off of rack rates becomes less then 25 percent due to the higher cost of the rooms available).

Considering that I already had the reservation for a lower cost room and the fact that when I originally booked I was told if the discount was extended I could have the new rate applied to the reservation I was making (even though many sites say to get any statement made by “Disney” in writing), this is a disappointment for me.

DarthVader

Sith Lord
Yes, the new discount still saves me a significant amount of money,
I think this is the salient piece of your post. Yes, its saving you a lot of money. Your other choice is to go off property which may or may not be an option for you.

I'll not knock your frustration but by the same token Disney seems to be curtailing the incentives lately for some reason.

Upvote 0

Nemo14

Sadly this is just the Disney Way now. Jack up the prices by X %, then offer a discount of X/10 % and convince people they're getting a great deal. PTBarnum would be so proud!

Upvote 0

DarthVader

Sith Lord
Sadly this is just the Disney Way now. Jack up the prices by X %, then offer a discount of X/10 % and convince people they're getting a great deal. PTBarnum would be so proud!
I don't think its that bad (or maybe I'm deluding myself but unfortunately its making it harder for me to justify on property vacations.

Upvote 0

Nemo14

This one incident in and of itself perhaps, but in the bigger picture (rapidly rising ticket prices for slowly deteriorating park experiences, obscenely priced restaurants for mediocre food, decreased or discontinued benefits to AP holders, CMs, DVC members, etc.) all chip away at the foundation that made Disney the hallmark that it once was.

Upvote 0

JasonDeyoung

I called yesterday to price out military rates for my trip in November and it came out to the same % it always has been when I booked. That's kinda odd it was diff when you called though. I checked a few diff resorts and room types, all were 35% (mod) discount. I am still curious as to why it extended instead of a completely new offer

Upvote 0

Nemo14

I called yesterday to price out military rates for my trip in November and it came out to the same % it always has been when I booked. That's kinda odd it was diff when you called though. I checked a few diff resorts and room types, all were 35% (mod) discount. I am still curious as to why it extended instead of a completely new offer
The OP did get that same 35%, it was just that the only rooms available to apply it to were higher priced rooms, so his saving was effectively less.

Upvote 0

rljackson

Have you tried staying at Shades of Green? I am retired military and have stayed there many times. It is very affordable, you pay no taxes for rooms or items purchased at the hotel, has some of the largest standard rooms on the property, you can walk to the monorail at the Poly and has it's own transportation to other parks. If you haven't tried it I highly recommend it.

Upvote 0

Tinkerbell397

I agree 100% with @rljackson ..... my daughter's ex-husband was military and we stayed at SOG for 7 days. It is a lovely hotel with it's own restaurants etc. The theming is not "Disney" but the rooms are very large and comfortable and again, it is a walk down the drive and across the street to the Poly where you can access the monorail. In years past, they had a golf cart that went up and down the drive and picked up guests and brought them to the lobby. I would highly recommend trying SOG or at least getting a price for the room.
Have a Magical Trip! :cat:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom