Pre-Trip A Ho Ho Ho PTR — Let’s do WDW with a toddler...at Christmas

Hey there — for those who don’t know me, my name is Diana 👋. I’ve been a member here since 2007 and used to post TRs pretty frequently. Then, life got in the way and I kind of…stopped. Just recently, I FINALLY finished my wedding TR (from 2014!). But, if you’re a sucker for old TRs and would like to get to know me, here are some of my past TRs:

August 2011 (wow, that’s a long time ago…also, I used to host my pictures on Photobucket, so they look crummy now - sad).
Not-quite a trip TR (but actually, yes, a trip)
A 4-Day Anniversary TR (ah, to be young again)
My Disney wedding and honeymoon (yay)

My life has changed an awful lot since I first joined here 12(!) years ago. And so have my TRs 😬 Let’s get to the details:

WHO

Me: Diana, 39. Mom and stepmom, marketing consultant, and all-around nerd

DH: Todd, 45, handsome guy, super, stay-at-home dad, and late-bloomer Disney nerd (who fell in love with WDW after meeting yours truly)

DS: Brandon, 15 — the little boy from my wedding TR is growing up! He is now a high school student who is (still) obsessed with Star Wars and Spider-Man.

DD: B (now that I’m older, I’m going to skip putting her name out there, although I already posted Brandon’s for awhile, so he’s still out there!), 21 months (she’ll be 23 months by the time of our trip).

WHERE

Caribbean Beach Resort, pirate room. DH and DS really wanted to stay at a Skyliner resort and we have done POP so many times, it was time for a change. All that was left with free dining was a pirate room, so we’re going with it. Good thing we like to walk, since these are apparently the furthest rooms from anything!

WHEN

December 17 - 23, 2019

WHAT

Our first family trip with all 4 of us in WDW, and our first holiday trip since November 2016. We’ve got a few fun things planned, including:

Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party: 12/22 — the last party of the year (and our last night in WDW).
Plant based exploration: My husband, myself and my daughter are all plant based, so we’re super excited to try the new plant based offerings across the resort. We have free, quick service dining, and like the flexibility it offers. Plus, for us at least, the quick service menus have gotten MUCH better in the past few years.
Oga’s Cantina: I was able to snag an ADR here (I have been checking every day since we booked the trip, with no luck, until I found a reservation for 2 while searching the other day - woot!). Brandon and I will be checking this out on 12/19 at 9:25am 👍
Savi’s Workshop and Droid Depot: This trip (and the special stuff we’re doing) is our Christmas present, so we splurged a bit and made reservations at both Savi’s and Droid Depot for Brandon on 12/19. We’ll be chipping in a bit toward it, and he’ll be using his gift cards for the rest (we’ve let family know that we’d all like Disney gift cards for Christmas this year.)
Rose & Crown: My husband is really excited for this — they have a really delicious vegan fish and chips dish, and OUTSTANDING rice pudding, so we made a reservation here just so my husband can experience it 🤣

For visuals, here are DH and I with DD in August 2018 (don't worry, she's not burned or dehydrated -- she just gets a little pink in the heat like me! 🤣):

And here are DH, DS and I on our last holiday trip (pre-baby weight that hasn't gone away yet, sigh!):

I can't wait to get a shot like this with all 4 of us! Also, wait until you see DS now -- he's such a handsome young man. And my baby isn't so much a baby anymore. Time goes by so quickly! I'll leave the "where are they now" pics until the actual TR, though 🤣

PeoplemoverTTA

Original Poster
Okay, back to dining!

Here are the other TS meals we booked:

December 18 - EPCOT Day

Rose & Crown Dinner (this was the other meal we were going to do out of pocket anyway).

December 19 - DHS Day

Minnie's Seasonal Dinner at Hollywood & Vine

I know that you can meet Santa Goofy here, which was the big draw. Plus Minnie (B's favorite) and other characters in their holiday garb. Has anyone done this before?

Oh, and our morning ADR for Oga's Cantina? I changed it -- using good ole Touring Plans (great tip -- I learned about that from a TR here!) reservation finder, I was able to move Oga's to 12:25 instead of 9:25. Here's a pet peeve, though. We were going to do Hollywood & Vine at 1:30, but it wouldn't let me because I had a "lunch" reservation. Except the limit here is 40 minutes and we won't even be that long -- Brandon just wants to see it (and I'll try a drink). So we had to take a time we really didn't want! They should really fix that...

December 20 - DS daytime/EPCOT at night

We booked Minnie's breakfast at Cape May, figuring we can take the Skyliner to International Gateway and walk to BC. But I think we may cancel this one since we're doing Minnie at DHS, and another one with Minnie at AK.

We also booked Biergarten for dinner at EPCOT this day. My husband has always wanted to go there (he's half German), and believe it or not, they are known for having awesome plant based options! Plus, we figured the Christmas decorations and live entertainment would make it a winner.

It's highly likely we'll move breakfast, though. We want a slow morning this day, and are going to DS in the AM, so we'll probably skip it.

December 21 - AK

I am so sad we couldn't get Tusker House at 10:30, but we waited until the last minute on this one. We did that last year and had both breakfast and lunch -- we only had snacks the rest of the day, lol.

But they have the best falafel we've ever eaten, and good character interactions, so we wanted to go back here.

December 22 - MK - last full day, and MVMCP at night (final party, which will be ridiculously busy)

Plaza for breakfast. We've heard really good things about their plant based breakfast, so we thought we'd give it a try. But, we may cancel this one instead of Cape May. I'm on the fence....

And that is it! Our flight leaves at 12:50 on the 23rd, so DME will be picking us up around 9:50. That means we can have a relatively low-key morning. I am SUPER excited for this! Back in my 20s when I had an AP and came like 4 times a year, I would book nighttime flights for "bonus" time in the parks. But we learned last year when B was a baby that slow mornings are good! Plus, even on my honeymoon trip when we left at night, we were super gross and sweaty when we flew home. No thanks!

PeoplemoverTTA

Original Poster
Okay so last question.

I'd love some help on this...

We transitioned B to a toddler bed last week and she has done SO well with it (her crib transformed into a toddler bed with a little guide that goes about halfway).

We had been planning for her and I to share a bed and use bed rails, so that we didn't have to bring her pack and play again. Except that those beds are WAY higher, and I just don't think it's close enough to her current "bed" for her to do well with it.

She also doesn't like heights in that way -- when we're out and I change her diaper on one of those tables in public restrooms, she FREAKS. She does not like feeling up high without support. And I fear she's going to be that way with the bed, since it'll be up quite a bit. She does like to climb and walk over our bed, but she's never actually laid on it...

I was thinking of trying to rent a toddler bed -- I feel like I've heard that's a thing. She slept in her pack and play last August, but she was only 7 months old and was actually sleeping in it at home too, as we transitioned her from our room to her crib. So it's completely different now...I don't even know that she'll sleep in the pack and play!

Does anyone have experience with either putting a toddler in a "big bed" or renting a toddler bed or crib?

Thank you!

giphy.gif

riverside

Does anyone have experience with either putting a toddler in a "big bed" or renting a toddler bed or crib?
No experience in renting one but we were there last week & my sister said that my nephew(he's 4) almost fell out of bed one night:eek:
The beds are nice & I like that you can hide suitcases under them but they are a bit unnerving when you have little ones in them.

PeoplemoverTTA

Original Poster
No experience in renting one but we were there last week & my sister said that my nephew(he's 4) almost fell out of bed one night:eek:
The beds are nice & I like that you can hide suitcases under them but they are a bit unnerving when you have little ones in them.

Oh my goodness -- see that's my worry. She's only 22 months (23 months when we go) and is so tiny. I just don't think it'll work, even with bedrails.

I'm going to look into renting and see how it works. We can bring her sheets and blankets from home so it'll feel familiar...

Thank you!

riverside

Oh my goodness -- see that's my worry. She's only 22 months (23 months when we go) and is so tiny. I just don't think it'll work, even with bedrails.

I'm going to look into renting and see how it works. We can bring her sheets and blankets from home so it'll feel familiar...

Thank you!
Sounds like renting might be the way to go. If not maybe somehow create a barrier around her with stuffed animals?? Might be a dumb idea but what do I know--I don't have kids!!

PeoplemoverTTA

Original Poster
Sounds like renting might be the way to go. If not maybe somehow create a barrier around her with stuffed animals?? Might be a dumb idea but what do I know--I don't have kids!!

Right?! This is all so new to me!

I looked at Kingdom Strollers (where we rented B's stroller last year - we liked it so much we bought the same one at home and now we're bringing it with us, lol), and they have an inflatable toddler bed for $70 for the week. It has built-in rails too. I think that's the way to go. And we can deflate it every day so it doesn't take up room when we're just hanging out in the room. Apparently in inflates in 30 seconds.

Thank you for the advice! It's so weird feeling out of my element when it comes to traveling with a toddler.

PeoplemoverTTA

Original Poster
Update

giphy.gif

How is there not a GIF of Robert Stack saying "Update?" Because whenever I say update, that's what I'm thinking...

Anyway, that didn't take too much convincing -- thanks, @riverside !

I went ahead and booked an inflatable toddler bed (with built-in rails) from Kingdom Strollers. $84 with damage insurance. I emailed them and confirmed they Lysol and fully sterilize them between rentals (cause hello cold and flu season), so I'm feeling good. It inflates in 30 seconds and we can deflate during the day.

I am relieved. I don't like to over plan or over pack, but toddlers are so unpredictable. I feel much better.

And since we have to be here now to accept the delivery, I might as well go ahead and get a few groceries from Whole Foods to be delivered around the same time 🤣

disneyworlddad

I’m making fastpasses on Friday (!), and with a toddler, these are likely to look decidedly different than our fastpasses in the past, that’s for sure! As far as parks go, here’s what we’re thinking for a breakdown:

Tuesday, December 17

5:30am (UGH - who planned this?! Oh, right…) Flight from BUF to MCO on Southwest Airlines

Arrive at MCO around 9am, and head to CBR. I am debating whether or not to get a rental car. Can you rent them with car seats? Does anyone have experience with this?

Since we’ll be exhausted, we’ll probably head over to MK today. They’re only open until 6 due to MVMCP, but that’s okay, since we will probably want to take it slow. We may take a nap in the afternoon and head over to DS or Epcot that night, though. I try not to uber plan, especially now with a toddler, so we’ll see how this goes!

Wednesday, December 18

This is EPCOT day from park open. Our Rose & Crown reservation is for 5:05, and we’ll probably head back for DD’s nap around 1ish so that we make it back for dinner in plenty of time.

EPCOT Forever fireworks are at 9:30 tonight, and I definitely want to see those, so we’ll be sure to stake out a spot 👍

Thursday, December 19

This is our DHS day. Hopefully ROTR opens on time — if that’s the case and they’re doing early morning, 6am ADRs again, DS and I will head there to be ready at 6am, while DH and DD sleep. They can meet up with us, since Oga’s Cantina is at 9:25.

I had to take what I can get for the other reservations, so Droid Depot is at 6:30 and Savi’s Workshop is at 4:25. Depending on where we are and how that works, myself or DH may run back over to SW:GE with DS to do these.

Friday, December 20

Now, on our previous holiday trips (Thanksgiving and Veteran’s Day weekends), we are in “go” mode. But that’s just not realistic with a soon-to-be 2-year old (she’ll be 2 in 15 days at this point). So, we’re planning a down day today. We’ll explore the hotel, depending on the weather, DS may go in the pool, and we’ll head over to Disney Springs. Depending on how we feel, we may head over to Epcot that night to walk around WS.

Either today, Saturday or Sunday, DH may run over to DHS with DS so that he can ride ROTR too. Then once they get back, we’ll head to our designated park or whatever!

Saturday, December 21

Animal Kingdom has morning EMH that day, so we’ll head here and explore.

Sunday, December 22

Our last day! Today is MVMCP day, and we’ll be at the Magic Kingdom all day to close it out.

This trip will be so much different than our trips of the past, and that's okay. We all have realistic expectations. We know DD will probably have some tantrums and get a little fried, so we're going to do our best to give her plenty of time to blow off steam, take naps, etc. We're just happy to be going to WDW at the merriest time of the year!

I dont know about renting car seats, but I'm almost positive southwest will let you check one. Might be easier if you have your own. You know how it works and installs. I believe they will also let you check a stroller, and do it at the gate!

PeoplemoverTTA

Original Poster
I dont know about renting car seats, but I'm almost positive southwest will let you check one. Might be easier if you have your own. You know how it works and installs. I believe they will also let you check a stroller, and do it at the gate!

Yes, we are definitely checking her stroller at the gate! I bought a special bag that will supposedly protect it. It's a Maclaren, so I hope nothing happens to it 🤣

We were originally going to buy a cheap car seat for her on the plane, but then I got cheap 🤣 We were originally going to take a trip at the end of January/beginning of February, when my daughter would already be 2. At that point, we would have had to buy a separate seat for her, so we had a plan in place.

Then we saw the deals for free tickets and dining, and moved our trip to Christmas. Since my daughter won't be 2 yet, we decided to just have her sit on our laps. I am hoping we don't regret this...we'll see!

I had the same fear when we took our son who was just over 1. Wasn't a big deal at all. They even brought him his own dessert at Ohana! We didn't even ask, they just brought him this huge brownie with whip cream and sprinkles.

That's so nice! Her birthday is 10 days after our trip, so I think we'll be celebrating while we're there. While I never "count on" extra magic, it would be so sweet if we got to experience some.

Shouldigo12

Yes, we are definitely checking her stroller at the gate! I bought a special bag that will supposedly protect it. It's a Maclaren, so I hope nothing happens to it 🤣

We were originally going to buy a cheap car seat for her on the plane, but then I got cheap 🤣 We were originally going to take a trip at the end of January/beginning of February, when my daughter would already be 2. At that point, we would have had to buy a separate seat for her, so we had a plan in place.

Then we saw the deals for free tickets and dining, and moved our trip to Christmas. Since my daughter won't be 2 yet, we decided to just have her sit on our laps. I am hoping we don't regret this...we'll see!

That's so nice! Her birthday is 10 days after our trip, so I think we'll be celebrating while we're there. While I never "count on" extra magic, it would be so sweet if we got to experience some.
Make sure to get a celebration button! Even if her birthday is technically after the trip, you're still celebrating it there. If nothing else your daughter will feel really special with all of the "happy birthday!" 's she's going to get.

Laura Loves Tigger

We ate at Minnie's Holiday Dine last December. The food was good and the character interactions were great ( and we were 2 adults). Santa Goofy was so much fun, and the Christmas outfits for Minnie, Daisy, Mickey and Donald were beautiful. We loved the whole experience.

PeoplemoverTTA

Original Poster
We ate at Minnie's Holiday Dine last December. The food was good and the character interactions were great ( and we were 2 adults). Santa Goofy was so much fun, and the Christmas outfits for Minnie, Daisy, Mickey and Donald were beautiful. We loved the whole experience.

Wonderful - thanks for sharing your experience!! ❤️

I was just talking to a friend of mine who is also a client (okay, that sounds a Hair Club for Men commercial 🤣), and she's leaving for WDW on December 8 (we're just missing her by 2 days). That feels so soon! And next week is Thanksgiving. I swear, this trip feels like it's only a few days away now!

PeoplemoverTTA

Original Poster
It's been an eventful week. First, we got our DME package on Monday...

giphy.gif

And today, I officially upgraded to the full dining plan from our free quick service. Since we were already doing Crystal Palace (since B loves Pooh) and Rose & Crown (because their vegan fish & chips and rice pudding are AMAZING), the cost to upgrade and get 6 table service meals was almost equal to the cost of those two meals alone. It came to $413 and change. We already booked the rest of the meals out (I know I walked through them before so I won't bore everyone more than I have to 🤣), so that means we are ready to roll in...

IMG_2001.jpg

26 days! I haven't downloaded and used one of these countdown apps in awhile, but I am just really getting pumped for this trip 🎄

Oh, I also ordered some shirts...I'm still on the fence about holiday-themed shirts from Etsy (I don't know if Brandon will wear them). But I have to admit, I ordered shirts from the Teepublic store from "the site that shall not be named) -- they were just too awesome:

Screen Shot 2019-11-21 at 10.01.32 AM.png

Figment is mine (I switched the shirt to green) and Dreamfinder is Todd's (I knew he wouldn't wear yellow, so his is blue). They were only $13 on Teepublic! Even with shipping, they were really reasonable.

I should probably get to work 🤣 Self employment is a blessing and a curse. I have SO much work to do before we go to get all my clients' work done for November (I just onboarded two new clients ) and December. With Thanksgiving in between. Sometimes I wish I could just "take off" and know that someone else is covering me. Instead, when I take a "vacation" it means double work before and after. Still, the flexibility and freedom I have as a consultant definitely outweigh those challenges!

What do you think -- should I order custom holiday shirts from Etsy? I'm sure I could guilt Brandon into wearing one for the Christmas party 🤣

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Two weeks from this very moment, I will be in WDW!!!

It is getting REAL 👏

And it can’t come quickly enough. I hate winter and need palm trees and sunshine ☀

I took this picture while at a stop sign on the way to my office this morning. It’s certainly beautiful, but I am tired of feeling like Elsa came through town 🤣

View attachment 430043

We had 14 inches over the past few days where I live. :) (But, I like snow!)

PeoplemoverTTA

Original Poster
We had 14 inches over the past few days where I live. :) (But, I like snow!)

Where are you located? Everyone always assumes that here in Buffalo, we live under constant blizzard-like conditions 🤣 We had some freezing rain over the end of Thanksgiving weekend, then just around an inch of snow. I know the worst is yet to come, though!

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Where are you located? Everyone always assumes that here in Buffalo, we live under constant blizzard-like conditions 🤣 We had some freezing rain over the end of Thanksgiving weekend, then just around an inch of snow. I know the worst is yet to come, though!

I'm in MA. The snow came in two phases over 2 days. It was really haphazard, too. Total amounts ranged anywhere from 6 inches -16 inches, and then up as high as 27 inches, out in the western part of the state.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom