A few questions for someone a little out of touch

zurgandfriend

Original Poster
Hello All,

Let me start with a brief explanation. A few years ago, I was a regular contributor to this website. Then after an absence of about 3 years I posted again last February with questions concerning a trip my DW and I were planning to celebrate surviving the COVID pandemic, our DS graduating college and my DW beating cancer. Unfortunately, she did not beat it, the cancer reappeared soon after my last post and my wife is now in hospice.

I am not writing this for pity or sympathy, I am only asking a few questions that my DW asked me. As my wife and I talk, she is recollecting a lot of things. Places we lived, I’m retired military, people we knew and vacations we took.

After speaking with a health care worker who recently went to WDW my wife asked me if I had been on the Disney boards recently and she asked me the following questions. I told her I would reach out, and try to find out, so here goes.

• Do they have any of the “surprises” that made WDW special any more or did they cut everything? I am referring to things like.
  • The “Janitors” in EPCOT that played the trash cans.
  • The woman in the trees at Animal Kingdom, I can’t remember her name, Ivy maybe? She blended in and you really had to look for her.
  • The orchestra in the Grand Floridian.
  • The green army men in Hollywood Studios
  • The roving band in the Magic Kingdom.
  • The Mayor of Main Street in the Magic Kingdom.
  • Do they still give out birthday buttons and make your birthday special in the restaurants.
  • Is Whispering Canyon still crazy? We ate there several times, and it was always fun. On my DW’s birthday one year our sever had us running around the table. The servers brought out a cake, sang Happy Birthday then ate the cake in front of us. Then they produced another cake for the table. DW heard that they “toned Whispering Canyon way down.”
  • Is Hollywood and Vine still Hollywood and Vile? The first time we ate there it was excellent, the second time it really was vile. Maybe the second biggest disappointment we ever had at a Disney restaurant. The biggest being Artist Point.
  • Do they still have afternoon tea at the Grand Floridian, I surprised DW one trip and got us reservations for tea. I also surprised her with a reservation at Victoria and Alberts which she still remembers fondly. The person she spoke with was not familiar with either. I’m sure that V & A is still there but is it still exceptional or just another restaurant.
  • Do they still have Zebra Domes at Jiko? Again, she heard they did not make them anymore.

• Thank you all in advance for the answers to any of these questions.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Monsters Inc Hug GIF
Mr Puma and I'm so sorry to hear about all that your family is going through
Divine was still there last I checked
The orchestra is gone:(
Birthday buttons still a thing
Others opinions may differ but I have no desire to ever go back to H & Vile as the reviews are mixed at best
The Dapper Dans are still in MK
The Mayor you remember sadly passed a few years ago
Zebra domes, yes
You've been missed

zurgandfriend

Original Poster
Monsters Inc Hug GIF
Mr Puma and I'm so sorry to hear about all that your family is going through
Divine was still there last I checked
The orchestra is gone:(
Birthday buttons still a thing
Others opinions may differ but I have no desire to ever go back to H & Vile as the reviews are mixed at best
The Dapper Dans are still in MK
The Mayor you remember sadly passed a few years ago
Zebra domes, yes
You've been missed
Thank you for the hugs Figgy, how about Whispering canyon is it still crazy?

Marionnette

So sorry that you're dealing with this. Cancer sucks. I hope that being able to reminisce about happy times will give you comfort during this time.

To answer your questions:
  • The Jammitors are still there. So are the Green Army Men and Devine.
  • The Grand Floridian Society Orchestra is gone as is the Tea Room. V&A is still there and is still exceptional. Mizner's has been replaced by a Beauty and the Beast themed lounge called The Enchanted Rose. The atmosphere is a lot less intimate than Mizner's but it does have very good theming that fits the new name.
  • The Mayor of Main Street and all of the streetmosphere actors have not returned since the COVID shutdown. I don't recall a roving band but the Walt Disney World Marching Band occasionally marches the parade route by themselves.
  • Birthday buttons, My First Visit and other special occasion buttons have been replaced with generic "I'm Celebrating "{fill in the blank}" buttons. Literally! You fill in the reason that you're celebrating.
  • Whispering Canyon can still be crazy, but it really depends on the CMs who are working that day. The catsup, straws and corny jokes are still plentiful.
  • I cannot comment on H&V. We tend to do table service at the resort restaurants. We find that they tend to have better food than the in-park restaurants. Artist Point is now a character meal.
  • You can still get zebra domes at Jiko. They would be fools to discontinue them!

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
Citizens of Hollywood is a noticeable lost.

I believe I've seen the MK band in the last year. There are also still Main Street vehicles, and it amazes me that people don't pay attention and cross right in front of them.

Last went to Hollywood and Vine soon after it reopened from pandemic closure and I was pleasantly surprised. Not a meal I'd recommend for food but it wasn't revolting. The characters were great.

Zebra Domes can also be purchased at the shop in Kidani, and, I assume, at Mara at Jambo House. I pick them up for my wife at Kidani when picking up Sanaa to go.

Speaking of Kidani, I was waiting for my dinner order and the lobby had a gentleman from somewhere I'm Africa with art from his country. Sadly I don't remember where. But it was stugg like toy cars made from bottle caps and copper wire. Always neat to see and learn from international Cast Members.

Kite Tails was a fun show at Animal Kingdom in the last few years. My family loved it. Check it out on YouTube. There were at least two versions with Lion King and Jungle Book.

Disney Springs has had some need stuff. In December we saw both a roaming talking Christmas tree and a strolling piano + player on wheels rolling around.

I can't find remember the name, but during the early pandemic reopening characters would randomly appear at resorts. There was a bus that'd drive from resort to resort with characters and they'd pop up around. That was great.

Cavalcade parades during the pandemic were a lot of fun. Unscheduled so people didn't form crowds, they always felt like a fun surprise.

Birthdays are still fun. My daughter celebrated her 8th at Be Our Guest and she felt very special. Hoop de Doo does the best job recognizing birthdays and anniversaries.

EPCOT still does a great job. Some favorites are the Festival of the Holidays storytellers. Year round they still have Pavillion stuff like Sergio the Juggler in Italy and the Jammitors.

Please feel free to ask more questions!

JIMINYCR

So sad to hear of your wife cancer reappearing and her now being placed in hospice. Having done a substantial amount of time volunteering in our local hospice center, I know from experience how residents get great value from reconnecting with their past and revisiting those better times in their lives at this stage of their lives. Ive been blessed to hear stories from people who had never shared their past and memories with any one else.
Besides getting info from here you might also find value in watching you tube park walk throughs and attraction videos with her that can help her recall more memories and happier times.
I know the he## you are going through watching her approach the journey to end of life and you have my prayers and support. Be sure to take care of yourself and know many on here are with you in spirit.

MissingDisney

Hello @zurgandfriend You have been missed. Your photo always made me happy as we would take the same picture with our children over the years. It has brought a smile to my face many times. Thank you for that.
It appears everyone has chimed in to answer your questions so I have nothing to add that hasn't been mentioned.
I do want to say I wish you and your darling wife and family all the peace and love possible in the coming days. 🙏🏻
While a somber time, many congratulations to your son on his college graduation. That is an exceptional achievement and I'm proud for him.
Disney is great and at times we lose focus fussing over such little things or fawning over the newest ride, but those silly chats have brought us virtual friends from all over the world. While we have never met, our support and concern are just as real as if we had.
Continued prayers.

zurgandfriend

Original Poster
First, I want to thank all of you for all of your well wishes and prayers. I always told my DW Disney people are special people.

Next my DW and I thank you for your replies to our questions. DW was happy to hear that birthdays are still special and Whispering Canyon is still crazy and a little sad that the street people are gone as well as the music at the Grand Floridian. We would sit and listen and relax after a day in the parks.

She asked to ask everyone "Is WDW still special." No matter how many times we visited it was always a special vacation and we always found new things to see and do. I think she's afraid that too many people are walking around looking at their phones and not at all the wonderful things around them.

She also asked if the signature restaurants are still special or have they gone downhill with cost cutting. We always tried to dine in 2 or 3 each visit. Although DW always liked one meal at Cosmic Rays, I assume Sony Eclipse is still there.

She also told me when everything is sorted out I want you to go for a visit. I told her Hon, I don't know if it's appropriate. You make sound like I won the super bowl. She smiled and said "no you go but please don't eat steak every night, I know you." Some things never change, I'll always have the diet of a puma.

Z

MissingDisney

It is still very special….but different for sure. Phones are a necessity. 😕 Sign of the times, I suppose.
The quality of many, but not all, signature locations has decreased but a wonderful server and experience can often make up for that. We make the best of it.
Sonny is still signing us to the stars and back.
She wants you to live, remember her and your family. That’s bringing her peace. Disney is a perfect place to reminisce and celebrate your life together….when you’re ready. 💞

JIMINYCR

First, I want to thank all of you for all of your well wishes and prayers. I always told my DW Disney people are special people.

Next my DW and I thank you for your replies to our questions. DW was happy to hear that birthdays are still special and Whispering Canyon is still crazy and a little sad that the street people are gone as well as the music at the Grand Floridian. We would sit and listen and relax after a day in the parks.

She asked to ask everyone "Is WDW still special." No matter how many times we visited it was always a special vacation and we always found new things to see and do. I think she's afraid that too many people are walking around looking at their phones and not at all the wonderful things around them.

She also asked if the signature restaurants are still special or have they gone downhill with cost cutting. We always tried to dine in 2 or 3 each visit. Although DW always liked one meal at Cosmic Rays, I assume Sony Eclipse is still there.

She also told me when everything is sorted out I want you to go for a visit. I told her Hon, I don't know if it's appropriate. You make sound like I won the super bowl. She smiled and said "no you go but please don't eat steak every night, I know you." Some things never change, I'll always have the diet of a puma.

Z
WDW is still special for many people. There is controversy from some on this site who constantly complain about cost, maintenance issues, staffing, policy changes and the way tech must be utilized for certain things. So for those who want to focus on only the negatives it is no longer special. For many of us who go on vacation and can find and enjoy the side of Disney that brings us joy, delivers entertainment and pleasure, then yes it is still very special. Changes happen and is difficult for some to accept. You will get out of a Dis trip what you look for. It can still bring great joy and family memories as before.
Yes phone and tech devices are a constant but thats everywhere, not just WDW. Its now a constant part of peoples lives. Many guests do miss out on seeing the joyful sights by focusing down to their phones, but again thats everywhere and its their loss.
Crowding and the differences in guests approach to others, how they relate with others, have made WDW more challenging. There have been fights, unruly guests, and short tempers. More and more people feel entitled and think they are the only ones who should enjoy Disney. But again thats the attitude everywhere in this world now.
Some dining spots have slipped in quality, but everyones tastes differ and what one finds enjoyable dining differs from another. We are choosy about where we dine and keep up with the reviews to decide where we want to dine or avoid. Its no different than with your local restaurants that may change with time. You have to be discriminate in where and what you spend your money on.
You should go back to WDW when you get through this time and can give yourself proper time to grieve and mourn. It will be different, and difficult going without your DW but revisiting and remembering your times together there can be therapeutic.

OP, I'm sorry to hear of your wife being in hospice. :( You will all be in my thoughts.

Hopefully, I can answer a good many of these for you and her.

• Do they have any of the “surprises” that made WDW special any more or did they cut everything? I am referring to things like.
  • The “Janitors” in EPCOT that played the trash cans. Yes Jammitors are still there.
  • The woman in the trees at Animal Kingdom, I can’t remember her name, Ivy maybe? She blended in and you really had to look for her. DiVine is still at AK.
  • The orchestra in the Grand Floridian. They are sadly gone.
  • The green army men in Hollywood Studios Yes
  • The roving band in the Magic Kingdom. Yes, Main Street Philharmonic is still there. As are the Dapper Dans.
  • The Mayor of Main Street in the Magic Kingdom. Have not seen him since the Parks re-opened after Covid
    • Do they still give out birthday buttons and make your birthday special in the restaurants. Yes.
    • Is Whispering Canyon still crazy? We ate there several times, and it was always fun. On my DW’s birthday one year our sever had us running around the table. The servers brought out a cake, sang Happy Birthday then ate the cake in front of us. Then they produced another cake for the table. DW heard that they “toned Whispering Canyon way down.” Not sure on this one since we don't eat there.
    • Is Hollywood and Vine still Hollywood and Vile? The first time we ate there it was excellent, the second time it really was vile. Maybe the second biggest disappointment we ever had at a Disney restaurant. The biggest being Artist Point. Again, don't eat here so no idea.
    • Do they still have afternoon tea at the Grand Floridian, I surprised DW one trip and got us reservations for tea. I also surprised her with a reservation at Victoria and Alberts which she still remembers fondly. The person she spoke with was not familiar with either. I’m sure that V & A is still there but is it still exceptional or just another restaurant. Tea Room at GFR is still considered Temporarily Closed. :(
    • Do they still have Zebra Domes at Jiko? Again, she heard they did not make them anymore. Yes. You can get them at Jiko or the Mara QS at AKL-Jambo!

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom