A Few Obscure Questions

Shoe

Original Poster
Yesterday I visited WDW for a short while and came across three curious things that I have questions about. In Epcot as you head towards World Showcase and turn right there is a merchandise pavillion. On the wall up about 10 feet just above the rose vines are two small outdoor speakers that simply make a "clicking" noise. Any idea what these are for? At the Hall of the Presidents there is a semicircle wall that seperates the audience from the Presidents. Is this meant to prevent over zealous vandalism from political activists? Finally, back again at Epcot, there has been parking on the grass in the front right of the parking lot for quite some time. It looks crummy. I'm assuming these are workers but couldn't they find a better spot for them to park then on the "front lawn"? Why not put a few old cars up on blocks, too? Enquiring minds want to know! SHOE

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
I don't know how to answer any of your questions, but let me just say....the last thing has always bothered me. It reminds me of the county fair. It looks so un-Disney...

Captain Hank

I think I can speculate on the answers to your first two questions. The little clicky boxes on the Epcot Towers might be to keep birds away. I used to pass by them on the way to work almost daily, and finally came to this conclusion. Disney has tried several ways of keeping birds away from eating areas (there's a quick service restaraunt very close by), such as stringing up wires above the eating area and playing recordings of bird distress calls. This may be another such tactic.

In the Hall of Presidents, I'm guessing that semi-circle is made to represent an orchestra pit. It probably also serves the dual purpose of keeping away over-zealous Guests, as you speculated. It also might serve as a spacer between the stage and the front row of seats. Presumably, the Imagineers didn't want the front row too close to the stage, due to possible bad sight lines and being too close to the AA's. Instead of having empty space between the front row and the stage, they built a representation of an orchestra pit.

formercm4u

your questions

For your first question, yes it is to keep the Birds away. By the McDonald's fry station the birds tend to get really bad. They have been known to attack people to get their food.

For the question about parking on the "front grass", before I left Disney there was a sortage of parking for the cast members. Their solution for this was to have cast members park up front. Mainly that is the guest relations and front of the park cast members.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
The parking at the front of Epcot is in the process of being reconfigured in general, for buses and other uses, so hopefully they'll address this issue.

Thoerhetically, CM's are supposed to park in the parking lot on the other side of the main lots, but recently that's getting regular use and thus the CM's are diverted.

DisneySaint

I'm glad I wasn't the only one to notice that clicking thing. I've always wondered what it was for, too, and never thought about the bird swarm by the Refreshment Port.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Yeah - my fave is the dying/wounded bird sound near Electric Umbrella. That's pleasent to hear while munching on chicken fingers ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom