Pre-Trip A Farewell to WDW? (September 2024)

Background
It’s been over 15 years since I’ve been to WDW. My parents took me there as a child four times, most recently when I was a teenager. Since then, I’ve been privy to online theme park discourse. And in less than two months, I’ll be back on property, now grown up and ready to appreciate the beauty and history of its iconic theme parks.

What kept me away, and what spurred this on? Well for one thing, I enjoy some pretty intense rides that Disney mostly lacks. Furthermore, not one IP is more dear to my heart than Jurassic Park; if I was going to Orlando, I’d be hitting up the dinosaurs.

But Disney has dinosaurs, too! Yes, that infamously chintzy Animal Kingdom section, DinoLand USA, plays host to a cult favorite attraction. Known simply as “Dinosaur,” this ride was too hot for me the first few times I went, and last time simply not on the docket. That’s right- I’ve never ridden Dinosaur! And if I didn’t make plans soon, I never would.

But what’s a trip to Disney if it’s only a hit-and-run? So with the encouragement of my family, most of whom have other obligations at the moment, I made it a big thing. My gracious father, retired and full of serotonin, will be with me, trusting that I have done my research and made a plan.

Itinerary
We will be arriving in September, the Friday after Labor Day, for minimum crowds. Animal Kingdom Lodge will be our home, but if we’re up to it, we’ll pay a visit to Islands of Adventure before we even unpack our bags. Never in my life did I imagine that I would be able to directly compare the Jurassic Park River Adventure to Dinosaur, less than 24 hours apart!

Yes, our first Disney park will be Animal Kingdom, the magnum opus of Michael Eisner and one of the best-regarded theme parks in the world. Aside from the obvious, I’m most excited for Everest, Kilimanjaro, and the scenery and food of Pandora. The park closes at 6, so we will have dinner at the Lodge. A few drinks and a Starlight Safari later, we’ll head to bed.

The next day will be all about Epcot. Despite having strayed inexcusably far from its original vision, the park remains a gorgeous place filled with things to see. At the tender age of 30, my most anticipated attraction here is Living With the Land. Runners-up are Spaceship Earth and The Seas. For food, I am torn between Garden Grill, with its alternative views of the Living With the Land scenes, and the varied quick service of World Showcase. I have a deep stomach, so perhaps we can do both. Also worth noting are the performances to see, and shopping to do, around the world. I expect most of our day to be spent in Showcase. After evening fireworks, we will head back to Animal Kingdom Lodge for a much-needed rest.

And now we get to the big one: the final day-night excursion. The park into which a 78-year-old Roy Disney carried construction materials, determined to honor his late brother. The main workhorse of the entire corporation, The Magic Kingdom. The fireworks here should be great, right? But oof, it closes at 6 that day- which is why I elected to get tickets for Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party! After perusing the Lodge some more and taking a dip in the pool, we will pass the turnstiles as early as 4pm- just enough time to kick back in the Tiki Room with some Dole Whip and see the 5pm flag retreat. My father’s only specific desire (thus far) is that we do Space Mountain, and so we will use this time to enjoy the vanilla version before it gets the spooky treatment (which we’ll no doubt also enjoy).

And from there? Any darn ride in the whole park. Pirates, Mansion, Dwarfs, Thunder (unless it’s closed), Splash, Tron, Peoplemover. Sadly absent will be Jungle Cruise due to refurbishment, but thankfully we’ll have seen plenty of animals already. I also plan to eat whatever quick service treats catch my fancy. Of course we will enjoy the parades, fireworks, and performances as well. By midnight, we will be more than ready for bed.

Checkout the next morning is at a comfy 11am, with our flight taking off about 90 minutes later. Perhaps we will leave a little earlier just to be safe. Once home, we will relax and recharge for the rest of the week.

There are some things I’m concerned about, only some of which I can control for. I will pack for a sunny day, IE a long-sleeved UVS shirt and wide-brim hat in case it’s purely sunny. Regardless of the weather, I’ll wear compression socks to do the double duty protecting my legs and keeping them from swelling up like sausages after 30,000 steps. We will also be carrying packs and possibly water bottles, although the latter may be cumbersome in combination with the former.

Other concerns include running into jerks, most of whom - in my experience - tend to be stressed-out and/or entitled parents. My hope is that our visit date will alleviate this possibility, but what it will exacerbate is the slight chance of a hurricane cutting short (or entirely out) one of our park days. Ride closures might also happen, but as long as Dinosaur, Living With the Land, Pirates and Mansion survive, I’ll be not too disappointed. Even then, it will be wonderful to spend this time with my father in Disney’s vacation kingdom.

I will be doing a post-trip report once we return.

pkkurz

I’m glad that you will get to experience Dinosaur before it is gone for good. It’s a shame that you couldn’t visit it when it first opened as “Countdown to Extinction“ Now it is just a shell of its former self.

Also, for your Epcot day you make no mention of Soarin or Gardians of the Galaxy. Both are must do rides. I’m a bit of a coaster snob and Gardians is all that and more. Rock n Roller coaster was my favorite before Guardians came along.

Can’t wait to hear about your adventure. There are lots of changes in the 15 years that you have been gone.

Wicked Sisters

In the Parks
No
We went back last September after a 15 year break and obviously there were changes but enjoyed it so much. So pleased you are getting back there with your dad and cannot wait to hear how your adventures went.

stepphiesecret

I’m glad that you will get to experience Dinosaur before it is gone for good. It’s a shame that you couldn’t visit it when it first opened as “Countdown to Extinction“ Now it is just a shell of its former self.

Also, for your Epcot day you make no mention of Soarin or Gardians of the Galaxy. Both are must do rides. I’m a bit of a coaster snob and Gardians is all that and more. Rock n Roller coaster was my favorite before Guardians came along.

Can’t wait to hear about your adventure. There are lots of changes in the 15 years that you have been gone.
I'm glad you'll experience Dinosaur before it's gone. It was amazing as “Countdown to Extinction.” For your Epcot day, don't miss Soarin or Guardians of the Galaxy—both are must-do rides. Guardians has surpassed Rock n Roller Coaster for me. Can't wait to hear about your adventure; a lot has changed in 15 years!

Mondo

Original Poster
I'm glad you'll experience Dinosaur before it's gone. It was amazing as “Countdown to Extinction.” For your Epcot day, don't miss Soarin or Guardians of the Galaxy—both are must-do rides. Guardians has surpassed Rock n Roller Coaster for me. Can't wait to hear about your adventure; a lot has changed in 15 years!
Soarin’ we will absolutely do, Guardians depends on how convenient it is. I believe their virtual queue system is absurd and anti-consumer.

Mondo

Original Poster
In light of the monumentally catastrophic announcement that the Iger Regime will destroy the most beautiful area of their flagship park, I wanted to update this thread.

This is now a tentative goodbye to the Walt Disney World resort as a whole. Now if a wife or child insists that we go, I’ll be back. But I am definitely not going to return of my own volition.

Magic Kingdom’s River District is, for me, quintessential Florida and WDW. It is a core memory of mine, even at the most cynical point in my life where 11-yo me would roll my eyes at every hokey thing I saw, peering across the river and seeing the vista with the Haunted Mansion looming in the distance. I cringe just thinking about emerging from Liberty Square, Fantasyland, or Adventureland, to see a crowded center with winding roads and talking cars. The most serene area of the park, instantly transformed into its most chaotic. Why? Money.

Thankfully, I will be using old passes that do not expire, to get into MK early for free. That way I can spend a whole day with it, a full 14 hours in Roy Disney’s park. Before Bob Iger and his scheming goons destroy it forever.

It’s so sad that it has to end this way. What an absolute disgrace.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom