Trip Report A DREAM is a wish your heart makes

Hello all! I thought I would finally share our trip report from our very first DISNEY CRUISE šŸ˜
Our cruise dates were 2/23-2/28 on The Dream. This trip was just my husband and I- we were celebrating our 15 year anniversary. When we were discussing vacation options, it was actually my husband who suggested a cruise. Neither of us have cruised before. šŸ„³

Our anniversary was 12/20. December is a busy month for us with Christmas and also our daughterā€™s birthday so we initially decided on a January cruise. Unfortunately just a few days before we were set to leave, my grandmother passed away. Her services were scheduled for while we were gone. We of course wanted to attend her services but also, my parents were going to be watching our kids while we were gone and we didnā€™t want to burden them any further. So we chose to reschedule the cruise for February. I was actually shocked by how difficult this was. We werenā€™t asking to cancel and be refunded, simply reschedule, but it was a multi step process. But I suppose a good experience to have should I have a similar situation with a future client šŸ˜‰

Before I officially get going, I just want to say that the first few days were very rough for us. We had a quite a few things go wrong early on. So while it may seem like a negative trip report to start, I promise you, I absolutely LOVED our cruise and I would do it again in a heartbeat. I do want to mention the negatives however in case anyone has any advice or can relate to our experiences.

First a few pictures to introduce ourselves - a family picture from our last Disney trip in March 2023, myself (Jillian), husband Nick and our daughters Sage and Aria.
And also a picture of me and the kids on Motherā€™s Day last year with my sweet sweet Grandma. She was Polish and we called her Babcia.
IMG_6270.jpeg
IMG_8200.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

DisneyDreamer08

Original Poster
Two more pics out on the kayak!

IMG_3842.jpeg
IMG_3844.jpeg

We then spent a little time on one of the family beaches. We did swim for a bit. Or at least we tried. The water was pretty chilly. If we were to ever cruise again, the one thing we said was that we wouldnā€™t go in the winter. The weather was absolutely perfect. It was in the 70ā€™s, full sunshine and felt plenty hot. But the water was a bit cold for our liking.

We then walked around the main area with the shops.
IMG_3848.jpeg

And by about 3:45, started to make our way back towards the ship!

IMG_3850.jpeg

I feel like I canā€™t even put into words how amazing Castaway Cay is. It was everything we were hoping for. There is a ton to do on the island. You can rent bikes, scuba gear, swim with stingrays, they even had a yoga class on Serenity Bay. Much like a WDW theme park, itā€™s impossible to do everything in one day. But we felt like we got a perfect taste of the island. 10/10 no notes šŸ˜

DisneyDreamer08

Original Poster
Continuing on, sorry for the delay! I should be able to wrap things up today šŸ˜Š

When we got back on the ship, before going back to our room, we made our way to the Aqua Duck. We hadnā€™t done it yet, and we were already in our bathing suits, so we figured it was now or never.

Now let me start by saying that I am not a big fan of water slides or even water parks in general. Partly because I canā€™t go underwater without holding my nose and partly because I wear contacts. So I canā€™t open my eyes underwater. So basically, the whole time, I am doing some combo of breath/nose holding and closing my eyes, anticipating any splashing or sliding into the pool and I really just find it incredibly uncomfortable and stressful šŸ˜‚

I wasnā€™t overly worried about the Aqua Duck, it was all enclosed in a tube so I figured how bad could it be.

I couldnā€™t have been more wrong šŸ¤¦šŸ»ā€ā™€ļø

Nick sat in front to hopefully absorb the majority of the splashing but it was way more intense than we were anticipating. Not only were we continually splashed in the face, but big monsoons of water somehow came up from behind as well. I had my hair down and it was all in my face and I literally felt like someone was standing behind me, just dumping buckets and buckets of water on the back of my head. I honestly hated it šŸ˜‚ One and done for me. Especially considering we waited about 30 minutes šŸ‘ŽšŸ¼

No pictures of this experience so instead, enjoy this picture my 8 year old drew for us while we were gone. Captain Mickey & Minnie standing on the pool deck with the Aqua Duck behind them. Sheā€™s literally only seen the Dream in YouTube videos so pretty impressive šŸ˜‚
IMG_3947.jpeg

A few random pictures I took at some point that evening- Cabanaā€™s has super cute sand looking artwork of the different Disney castles. And me in front of a ginormous picture.
IMG_3852.jpeg
IMG_3853.jpeg
IMG_3865.jpeg

The show that night was Believe. Nick came with me since he didnā€™t attend the other two. This show is similar to the Golden Mickeyā€™s in the way that they both feature multiple characters from various movies. The storyline for this one was a little too cheesy for me. It was about a young girl who was trying to convince her dad to believe in magic. I found it way too distracting that the ā€œyoung girlā€ was clearly a full grown adult šŸ˜‚ The Genie was great though and it was definitely entertaining.

For dinner that night, we were finally in Animatorā€™s Palate.

IMG_3872.jpeg

This restaurant was definitely the most unique of the three so it was a little sad to only have dinner there once and two times in the other two locations. Each section was filled with little figurines and artwork from various Pixar movies.

IMG_3867.jpeg
IMG_3870.jpeg
IMG_3871.jpeg

I had heard great things about the way Crush swims through the restaurant and talks with the guests. Unfortunately that ended up being a bit of a let down. He only spoke with one table in our section and while the kids were adorable, they werenā€™t particularly chatty. So it ended up being a short conversation. I was under the impression Crush would talk with multiple tables but Nick pointed out they probably only have microphones on one table per section.

IMG_3880.jpeg
IMG_4091.jpeg

cgersic

I've really been enjoying this report, even though I haven't commented much! I'll be sorry to see it end as it looks like you had a great time - other than the Aqua Duck!

DisneyDreamer08

Original Poster
I've really been enjoying this report, even though I haven't commented much! I'll be sorry to see it end as it looks like you had a great time - other than the Aqua Duck!
Thank you so much! We had an amazing time šŸ˜ Iā€™m glad I did the Aqua Duck once just to say I did it. But yeah, Iā€™m good from now on šŸ˜‚

DisneyDreamer08

Original Poster
Dinner that night was excellent but it was the first time I just wasnā€™t really hungry. I ate my appetizer and few bites of the entree and got my dessert to go.

One thing we didnā€™t really pay much attention to until that final day- each day, in the app, there was a drink of the day. We never really looked at the description since neither of us drink but on our last day, we just happened to notice that there was a non alcoholic drink as well. Both the alcoholic and non alcoholic drinks were really reasonably priced. So definitely check these out each day!

I got the non alcoholic version with my meal. I honestly donā€™t remember what it was but it was definitely fruity. And delish. šŸ˜‹

IMG_3874.jpeg

For my appetizer, I got the black truffle pasta and it was delicious. It tasted like super rich & cheesy tortellini.
IMG_3876.jpeg

Obsessed with these plates šŸ˜

For my entree, I had the lemon thyme chicken and Nick had the ginger teriyaki tenderloin. Both were excellent as well.
IMG_3877.jpeg
IMG_3878.jpeg

For dessert, I had the lemon ice box pie. No pic as I got it to go. I ate half that night and half in the morning. It was also very good!

That night, there was a ā€œSee Ya Real Soonā€ goodbye show in the atrium at 10:15. I knew that tiny area would fill up quick so I got a spot on the deck above pretty early and just hung out. The show itself was pretty short, they basically just introduced all the characters again (the main characters plus a few princesses), they waved and walked down the staircase. Then a little song played and Mickey confetti fell from the ceiling. It was cute and Nick was nice enough to go down a level and get some Mickey confetti off the floor for me to take home šŸ˜‚

I took a ridiculous amount of pictures and videos so here are just a few.
IMG_3886.jpeg
IMG_3890.jpeg
IMG_3895.jpeg
IMG_3906.jpeg
IMG_3921.jpeg

The night ended with our final towel creation, this adorable little mouse.
IMG_3922.jpeg

DisneyDreamer08

Original Poster
Wednesday 2/28

Not a whole lot to report on this day šŸ˜”

Since we were in the later group for dinner, we were given a later breakfast on that final morning. I think we were given 8:15am. We packed up, said a final goodbye to our room and went back down to Animatorā€™s Palate.

I took a few more pictures in the restaurant and only one food pic, a fruit plate that was supposed to look like a boat. I didnā€™t take a picture of my actual meal because they brought me the wrong breakfast. I knew they were in a hurry to get everyone out so I just ate it šŸ˜‚

IMG_3924.jpeg
IMG_3925.jpeg
IMG_3923.jpeg

Leaving the ship was definitely more organized and efficient than our arrival day. No real complaints other than the garage could definitely use more signage. We had a little trouble finding the bus but it was there waiting and left pretty soon after.

One last picture. When our plane was taking off, the little girl behind us suddenly started squealing ā€œLook mom look! Itā€™s the Disney Dream!ā€ Then she whispered, ā€œI love you Disneyā€. I couldnā€™t help but smile. Same girl, same.
IMG_3927.jpeg

So thatā€™s it guys! The end of an incredible trip šŸ˜ For those of you who have never been on a Disney cruise, the best way I can describe it is itā€™s like being at a Disney themed all inclusive resort. Everything you could possibly need or want is just a few steps away. Food, the pool, shows, characters, itā€™s all right there. So different from Disney World. Just to get to a Disney park, you have to walk from your hotel room to the transportation, wait for the transportation to arrive, take said transportation, walk to the entrance, wait to scan in, etc. On a cruise, maybe you have to walk down some stairs or take an elevator. Thatā€™s it.

The vibe on the cruise was so much different from a Disney vacation. Now donā€™t get me wrong, Disney World is literally my favorite place. Iā€™ve been with just my husband, with my kids 4 times, Iā€™ve even done a solo trip. But letā€™s be honest, it can beā€¦ a lot. Itā€™s crowded, itā€™s loud, itā€™s hot and people are often cranky (myself included!) There was none of that on the cruise. Everyone was just so happy and polite and relaxed. I can honestly say I didnā€™t witness any kids whining or crying. Even though some aspects are similar, like waiting in a 20 or 30 minute line to meet a character, you are doing it indoors in a climate controlled environment. Not in the Florida heat and humidity šŸ˜‚

I would definitely recommend trying a Disney cruise if youā€™ve done WDW or DL before and are looking for something a little different. Or if you have small kids and find Disney World overwhelming. I promise you wonā€™t be disappointed!

I honestly donā€™t know when we will cruise again. My husband enjoyed it but says he doesnā€™t feel the immediate need to do it again anytime soon. I think I would have to lure him with a unique destination like Alaska. After our last family trip to Disney World in March 2023, he said he was done with WDW. Since I am a Disney travel agent and Disney is quite literally my one true love, I told him thereā€™s no way I can be done. I canā€™t take my kids by myself, they fight like actual feral cats, so I am taking just my older daughter this August. Then I will take just my younger daughter in 2025.

My plan for 2026 was to maybe do another solo trip. But now Iā€™m actually thinking of maybe doing a few days in WDW and a 3 or 4 night cruise. I donā€™t even need to dock anywhere, just a few days at sea and a stop at Castaway would be perfection šŸ˜

Thanks so much for following along everyone!

Until next timeā€¦.
IMG_3789.jpeg

Last edited:

DisneyDreamer08

Original Poster
Thank you for such an enjoyable and informative report. We have never done a Disney cruise so it was great to hear what it was like for just two adults experiencing it.
It was so relaxing! I was worried I would be bored and wishing I was at Disney World instead but that wasnā€™t the case at all. It far exceeded my expectations.

cgersic

So sweet about the little girl on the plane šŸ„° Same girl, same. Thanks again for sharing this trip report and for the laugh out loud about your kids fighting like actual feral cats. I have some feral cats that I feed, and I know just what you speak of.
cat fight GIF

DisneyDreamer08

Original Poster
So sweet about the little girl on the plane šŸ„° Same girl, same. Thanks again for sharing this trip report and for the laugh out loud about your kids fighting like actual feral cats. I have some feral cats that I feed, and I know just what you speak of.
cat fight GIF
I only speak the truth šŸ¤£

Thanks for following along!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom