Trip Report A Bad Experience... with a happy ending!

I've never done one these before, because A. I've only been to Disney 3 times and B. I've never had anything eventful enough to tell about. Well, that all changed this May! I had the best, worst trip to date. I also wanted to share because the folks at disney were really great, and I'd like to give them a shout out!
So, the past 2 trips (yes, that's 2 out of 3) we've gone to WDW in May for my birthday. First trip was for my 21st and it was AMAZING. The weather. The cast members. Everything went without a hitch. I guess maybe that set my standards a bit high for the next bday trip. This year I turned 23. I will skip over the first bit since everything went pretty smoothly up until day one brunch at Be Our Guest. BOG is one of my favs, and I was so excited to sit down and eat my croque madam. It was delicious. And it was minutes after I had finished that I started to feel really nauseated :confused: I was just diagnosed with IBS and reflux this year, so I figured maybe it was just that. Nope. Things got worse and worse until I decided to spend some time on the floor of the BOG restrooms (there's a disney first!) Well, little obscure fact: I hadn't vomited in 10 years, and I just couldn't convince myself to get sick in public. I'm weird. I know. So one VERY difficult bus ride back to our room at POFQ to be sick in privacy of my own bathroom (those bathrooms are perfect, you can lean over the toilet while sitting on the edge of the tub!) Maybe a rest will help. Nope. I was in so much pain I cannot describe it. Most pain I have ever experienced in my life. I was devastated I might have to spend my entire vacation in bed, since we were only in the parks for that day and the next. We decided there'd be no way I could go to our dinner reservation at Cinderella's Royal Table or the fireworks dessert party. It would've been my first for both of those :( But, the cast members were SO GREAT about letting us cancel last minute for both of reservations with no cancellation fees. It was a big relief for me while I was sick. The cast members at the front desk were also super helpful when we decided I needed to go the ER or urgent care, providing us with the number to call. Urgent care was pretty great too, picking us up right at the hotel.
My Dr was Dr Levi... "like the pants". That is literally how he introduced himself. You can't make this stuff up! And Dr Levi introduced me to quite possibly the best pills to ever exist. And while they tasted like a mixture of fruit and charcoal, my nausea was gone within 20 minutes. I also got a complimentary birthday pedialite pop :p
Official diagnosis: norovirus.
So I still had some stomach discomfort, but it was worlds better than it had been, so we went back to the hotel and hung out by the pool for a while. That evening I was actually well enough to go back to the parks. I was happier to be there than I had ever been! We spent our time doing as many character meet and greets as possible. That is my favorite thing to do at Disney anyway, and since I didn't feel there were a lot of rides I could handle at that point, it was the best option. We met Ariel, Merida, Cinderella/ Tiana/Elana, etc. Also rode small world since it's a slow ride and another favorite of mine. I ate part of a birthday cake scone, then watched the fireworks for the first time and new Happily Ever After show. It was a really lovely ending for my birthday.
Day 2 I felt 90% back to normal. We spent the day at epcot (meeting more princesses! Lol) And I ate supper lite all day so I could enjoy a little bit of dinner at our absolute favorite, Chefs de France! I enjoyed every bite of food that wasn't apples or hard pretzels. I was also able to keep our reservation for Frozen Ever After dessert party, and watch illuminations for the first time ever! They even brought a surprise dessert plate to our table for me for my birthday! Other notables were meeting Anna and Elsa in their home in Norway, and riding FEA... it was AMAZING! I actually cried at one point.
So, it was certainly not the trip I was expecting, and I probably will never order a croque madam at BOG again :grumpy:, but, like most things in Disney, it had a very happy ending. :happy:

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
People, wow. Just wow. I'm sure she wasn't licking the door handles and gleeking on passerby's. You all need to take a stepback. If you were sick during your vacation would you spend the rest of your vacation in your room after you were feeling better or would you at least take a bus to walk around and just soak in the feeling of Disney. Be nice. Mean people suck.

Norovirus ain’t no joke.

Tick Tock

If you were sick during your vacation would you spend the rest of your vacation in your room after you were feeling better or would you at least take a bus to walk around and just soak in the feeling of Disney. Be nice. Mean people suck
Forgive me for being "mean", but,
Screenshot (40).png

Screenshot (41).png

Zipadeelady

Norovirus ain’t no joke.
I get it, but she can't stay in her room for 2 weeks. What do you want her to do? She said she's a sanitary person, I'm assuming she washed her hands when necessary and didn't go up to people a breath heavy on them. I would hope "the people she would infect" would also wash their hands when necessary to protect themselves since the same article you posted also says you don't even get symptoms for up to 48 hours after exposure, so I'm sure there are hundreds of people running around Disney that don't even realize they have the virus.

I'm not saying I disagree with some of the comments but my point is some of the comments are a bit much and then to make fun of her is uncalled for. One person saying it is good advice but a dozen getting a dig in is bullying.

Last edited:

trr1

To the OP I don't think it was the croque madame That gave you the the Norovirus as the average incubation period for norovirus-associated gastroenteritis is 12 to 48 hours, with a median period of approximately 33 hours.

Back!Elbow!Shoulders!

Omnia mutantur, nihil interit
I can totally understand how the OP made decisions on what to do based on the info she had at the time- especially if the NP okayed it.

What didn’t sit well with me was her doubling down on that call after the fact and with additional info on how serious it was.

In full disclosure I may be a little biased in that I am immunocompromised and have some underlying GI issues. There’s a pretty good chance that I would end up hospitalized if I got norovirus.

What’s done is done though. My hope is that others reading this thread might take norovirus more seriously in the future.

Nemo14

I can totally understand how the OP made decisions on what to do based on the info she had at the time- especially if the NP okayed it.

What didn’t sit well with me was her doubling down on that call after the fact and with additional info on how serious it was.

In full disclosure I may be a little biased in that I am immunocompromised and have some underlying GI issues. There’s a pretty good chance that I would end up hospitalized if I got norovirus.

What’s done is done though. My hope is that others reading this thread might take norovirus more seriously in the future.
Amen!

Songbird76

I get it, but she can't stay in her room for 2 weeks. What do you want her to do? She said she's a sanitary person, I'm assuming she washed her hands when necessary and didn't go up to people a breath heavy on them. I would hope "the people she would infect" would also wash their hands when necessary to protect themselves since the same article you posted also says you don't even get symptoms for up to 48 hours after exposure, so I'm sure there are hundreds of people running around Disney that don't even realize they have the virus.

I'm not saying I disagree with some of the comments but my point is some of the comments are a bit much and then to make fun of her is uncalled for. One person saying it is good advice but a dozen getting a dig in is bullying.
With all due respect, I was trying very hard not to "be mean". I was very careful in how I worded my posts because I don't want to be a bully. BUT....I think it's mean to knowingly go into public when you are sick and it could potentially ruin other people's vacations. Think about how many people with compromised immune systems visit the parks....Make a Wish foundation children who have cancer, for example. I really don't want to be mean, but to say the money you spent on vacation is more important than someone else's health is pretty mean. It sent the OP to urgent care, and he/she doesn't even have a compromised immune system as far as we know, so it could be a lot more serious to someone who does. I was just trying to point out the severity of that choice. It's like a person who has been drinking deciding to get in a car and drive home because they deserved that night out with their friends and they had no other way home.
And like I said...if you didn't know it was that serious, fair enough....but then to say it doesn't matter whether they know how serious it is, he/she is "entitled" to enjoy their vacation because it was expensive? I've got a family of 4 flying in from Europe....it's a lot more expensive than $1000+ for a trip to Disney and we only get to go once every several years and I'd be pretty upset if that money went down the tubes because someone was inconsiderate. I know over here, the health department BEGGED people not to go out when they had swine flu, and when there was a norovirus outbreak, they kept sending out messages on the radio asking people to please stay in their homes if they had been exposed, even if they weren't showing symptoms. I have a hard time believing a doctor would give the go ahead to go back to a park with millions of people right away. If the doctor didn't specifically prohibit it, then I guess the OP couldn't have known. BUT, now that they do, to still say other people don't matter because the money is more important and they would still make the same choice...well, sorry, but that's mean in my book.

Last edited:

The Empress Lilly

Sometimes people with contagious diseases put their own needs above the needs of others and willingly expose other people to their sickness. Assuming we’re talking about something more extreme than the common cold, this behavior is not only rude, it is also dangerous. That’s why knowingly exposing others to an infectious disease is a crime.

These charges are very rare, but if you are charged with knowingly exposing someone to an infectious disease, you will face misdemeanor charges and could face up to six months in jail and a $1,000 fine.

Knowingly exposing others to communicable diseases is not just criminally insane, it IS a crime, period. The OP describes having committed, and a willingness to commit again, a crime not different from putting others at risk through driving under influence.

'But you honor...I paid $20k for my seriously hot new wheels. Therefore I have the right to go speeding through a busy pedestrian street with lots of playing children'.

Lulucouture

So it was most definitely BOG and the fruit. I ate BOG on Sunday and my husband and I got sooo sick we couldn’t leave the room the rest of the vacation. In fact we were leaving when my husband collapsed in the airport on Tuesday. So we got extra time in Orlando at the hospital. It is someone at the restaurant or the fruit in the pastry. Everyone at our table got sick the next day.

I have a compromised a immune system but my husband was allergic to the deserts so they gave him fruit and the only fruit I had was on my macaron. Everyone else at the table except me ate some of his fruit. They are got way sicker than I did.

It completely ruined our 6th year anniversary and our first Disney Vacation together. I am so glad though to know what it was though so I can tell his home physicians here at home what may have kicked off the whole thing. I will never eat at bog again.

Did anyone notify Disney about this virus being active in bog? If not I’ll call tomorrow. Please let me know

Lulucouture

So it was most definitely BOG and the fruit. I ate BOG on Sunday and my husband and I got sooo sick we couldn’t leave the room the rest of the vacation. In fact we were leaving when my husband collapsed in the airport on Tuesday. So we got extra time in Orlando at the hospital. It is someone at the restaurant or the fruit in the pastry. Everyone at our table got sick the next day.

I have a compromised a immune system but my husband was allergic to the deserts so they gave him fruit and the only fruit I had was on my macaron. Everyone else at the table except me ate some of his fruit. They are got way sicker than I did.

It completely ruined our 6th year anniversary and our first Disney Vacation together. I am so glad though to know what it was though so I can tell his home physicians here at home what may have kicked off the whole thing. I will never eat at bog again.

Did anyone notify Disney about this virus being active in bog? If not I’ll call tomorrow. Please let me know

Please note my husband tore his esophagus because he vomited so much. We had the scope done today.

NYwdwfan

OP was there in May.

Sorry your family is so ill - I hope you are feeling better.

NYwdwfan

She said she went to meet & greets and hugged the characters.

aliceismad

It's a tough call when you get sick while on vacation. (Or even sometimes if you get sick and have to work!) I'm sure we've all gone out in public while sick before, and I think most of us do our best to limit our germ-spreading to the best of our knowledge.

Many people may wash their hands but not well enough to get rid of norovirus. (Most cell phones and remote controls have fecal matter on them.) Hand sanitizers don't kill it. Even a lot of cleaners used in bathrooms don't kill it. And it can live on clothes and surfaces for several days. It spreads more easily than someone might think.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom