TOM SAWYER ISLAND

yensid1967

Original Poster
In all the time I have been going to WDW, I have always wondered what the connection is between Disney and Tom Sawyer Island? How does TSI connect to Disney? Does Disney own the rights to Tom Sawyer and it characters and storylines?

AndyS2992

Been beat to it but like most 'Disney' properties, they are stories from the public domain which Disney took and did what they wanted with them whether that be make a movie or a theme park attraction. Disney did eventually make a Tom Sawyer movie, 'Tom and Huck' in 1995.

yensid1967

Original Poster
So, they have a TOM SAWYER IP...wonder why no characters in the parks? Maybe remake Tom and Huck and introduce a new generation to those adventures and to tie in TSI to the park. It would be a way to incorporate Tom, Huck and Jenny(?) and have real adventures on the island(s)

AndyS2992

So, they have a TOM SAWYER IP...wonder why no characters in the parks? Maybe remake Tom and Huck and introduce a new generation to those adventures and to tie in TSI to the park. It would be a way to incorporate Tom, Huck and Jenny(?) and have real adventures on the island(s)
Way back in the day, Tom and Huck were apparently meetable at Disneyland.
ts.jpg

DisneyHead123

I believe the connection is primarily with Walt himself, who was presumably a big fan of Tom Sawyer. I did a quick Google search which said that Tom Sawyer Island is the only attraction that Walt personally designed. Also saw speculation that his love of Tom
Sawyer was due to his time in Missouri, where he had more freedom to roam and explore, in a similar manner to Tom Sawyer.

I think that Walt had a love of Americana (although he wouldn’t have used that word) that shows in the parks. I also think a lot of the original charm of the parks gets lost in the recent IP push. IP has a place, but it lacks the collective, mythical aspect of, well, myths. Americana is, in many ways, a beautiful myth. Princesses and castles and knights are, in many ways, a beautiful myth (I mean they existed, but the reality of life in that time was actually pretty f-ed up.) The technological utopianism of Tomorrowland is, in many ways, a beautiful myth. Etc. I am actually fine with coming up with new beautiful myths, if younger generations feel we need them. But I don’t think mythology can be replaced with fun but fleeting commercial ideas. (Lightning McQueen is great, but not a cultural mythos.) Not everything needs a meet and greet. Sometimes a felt, mysterious sense of something that you can’t really put to words is far more effective.

JIMINYCR

I’m going to miss it so much when it’s gone the way of all the extinct Dis things. Glad we had the years to enjoy.
Dis doesn’t have any set rules as to what has to be to put in an attraction. Just needs the approval for the budget and the future revenue it will bring in from guests being drawn to the parks and the merchandise sales. Making the money is most important and guessing how long a time it recoups the money spent is important.
Having a connection isn’t really as valuable as it once was. After all is said and done guests want the fun and the thrills. Dis wants the money.

yensid1967

Original Poster
I may get some pushback for this, but I am going to say it anyways...
Cars land HAS NO PLACE in the Magic Kingdom! It should go into DHS as an IP!
Villains land fits better to the Magic Kingdom, those villains that terrorize the princesses need someplace to live!

Cmdr_Crimson

Been beat to it but like most 'Disney' properties, they are stories from the public domain which Disney took and did what they wanted with them whether that be make a movie or a theme park attraction. Disney did eventually make a Tom Sawyer movie, 'Tom and Huck' in 1995.
Plus the Huck Finn Movie and the Disney Channel Movie Back to Hannibal The Return of Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn.
US-DoubleFeature-TheAdventuresOfHuckFinn-TomAndHuck.jpg
El+regreso+de+Tom+Swayer+y+Huckleberry+Finn.jpg

yensid1967

Original Poster
I HAVE A GREAT IDEA!!!!
Let's turn the 'broken down almost daily' Tianias Bayou Adventure into Tom and Hucks Adventure!!! OBVIOUSLY, fix it so it doesn't breakdown, the riders go on an adventure with Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn, ending in 'finding a river rapids and going down' at the HILL.! Tom & Huck meet n greets, a parade float, merchandise and MAYBE some Crawdad Soup!?

Disstevefan1

I HAVE A GREAT IDEA!!!!
Let's turn the 'broken down almost daily' Tianias Bayou Adventure into Tom and Hucks Adventure!!! OBVIOUSLY, fix it so it doesn't breakdown, the riders go on an adventure with Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn, ending in 'finding a river rapids and going down' at the HILL.! Tom & Huck meet n greets, a parade float, merchandise and MAYBE some Crawdad Soup!?
I am sure there is something culturally insensitive about Tom and Huck they can come up with.

DW Aficionado

In all the time I have been going to WDW, I have always wondered what the connection is between Disney and Tom Sawyer Island? How does TSI connect to Disney? Does Disney own the rights to Tom Sawyer and it characters and storylines?
I think it was popular in the 1950's... westerns, racoon hats, Tom Sawyer. But TSI isn't about Tom Sawyer specifically, it's about a beautiful visual walking thru Frontierland during dusk, seeing the Rivers of America, and the Steamboat, hearing it blow it's whistle..... THERE IS A REASON IT IS WAS CALLED THE 'MAGIC KINGDOM'.

Disney is missing the point, that's what made Walt such a genius, it's not about rides stacked on top of one another. In a recent documentary, Walt said that walking through the train tunned to enter the Magic Kingdom is taking you to another place.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom