News New lighting/tech upgrades at Theater of the Stars for Beauty and the Beast – Live on Stage

gerarar

Premium Member
Original Poster
BATB Live! is my favorite live stage production at WDW (not kidding), so I literally watch every video or stream of it online. FOTLK is second to it for me.
Whenever I'm at WDW, I would go see multiple showings per day and park hop to HS in the mornings just for it (did so today on the last day of my trip).

So I basically notice any minor, or big, changes done to the show. During my recent trip this past weekend, the quality of the lighting was already way different than usual. Looking up at the stage infrastructure, I immediately spotted that all of the spotlights have been removed & replaced.

Here, you can see the old setup, which has been there for decades at this point. These are single color spotlights, which each use a translucent gel sheet to project a single color, hence why there are dozens of them. There are blue, red, yellow, etc., which are all the colors you often see in the show. Grabbed these from Google reviews posted 1 month ago.
1000018238.jpg

1000018239.jpg

Now, they have been replaced by 2 LED moving head lights on each side, producing an array of colors. New brackets were installed (painted black), so maybe more lights are coming in the future. My pictures below.
1000018136.jpg

1000018212.jpg

The lights in the middle overhang have also been overhauled.
1000018215.jpg

These new lights produce new patterns throughout the show. During the kick line in Be Our Guest, the stage now flashes on each beat.
1000018147.jpg

1000018145.jpg

During the beast transformation, it does circular bubbles, which then expands after the transformation is completed by the Enchantress.
1000018153.jpg

1000018159.jpg

1000018158.jpg

These updates have me pretty hyped. Overall the show feels somewhat refreshed, similar to how F! 2022 returned with a new look, tech-wise.
It was done pretty recently too. I was also at WDW end of August and the lights were still the old ones then. So the upgrades was probably done in the last 1-2 weeks.

Disney Live! Entertainment has been on a roll recently with doing tech/other updates here and there their shows; eg. FOTLK recently got new dance choreography that removes distancing restrictions.

Last edited:

gerarar

Premium Member
Original Poster
Interesting. I wonder if perhaps the upgrades have a lot to do with the desire to utilize the stage for after hours holiday events more frequently and the upgrades to Beauty and the Beast are incidental?
That would be my guess as well. Jollywood also uses the theater. Last year they used manual followspots during the show. Wonder if this year, they are trying to make them more automated (and use less techs).

Regardless, it's nice to see budgets being allocated towards live entertainment for these small upgrades throughout the parks. I believe this show was the last one still using these (outdated) spotlights.

Comped

Interesting. I wonder if perhaps the upgrades have a lot to do with the desire to utilize the stage for after hours holiday events more frequently and the upgrades to Beauty and the Beast are incidental?
Exactly this. BATB has been on the chopping block for years, but nothing else can easily go into that space due to the design of the theatre itself...

TrainsOfDisney

I was thinking that might be part of it as well. Conventional fixtures are focused and you need tech.‘s to climb and refocus them or change colors / gobos.

Moving fixtures can be programmed for multiple shows.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom