Hurricane Milton coming to FL

JohnD

Just putting this on everyone's radar so we are aware: Yes, there is another system that is potentially forming in the eastern Atlantic. However, several models (e.g. Tropical Tidbits and Windy.com) show it getting pushed back toward the
northeast by 10/22 or so. Another sensational Disney blog which I won't give the pleasure of the publicity (not the usual news source which cannot be named), has a headline that that says "Residents of Central Florida Brace for Impact of Another Hurricane." This is not a time for panic but just to be aware that tropical systems form around hurricane season (June 1 - November 30), sometimes outside the front and end dates..

two_atl_7d0.png

Last edited:

Phonedave

Exactly. You don't just dig a trench and stick the wires in the ground. To start with they have to use insulated cables which are more expensive than the bare cables for above ground. Heat dissipation must be accounted for as you stated. And, like you said, when they get damaged it is much harder to locate and repair the damage.

That said, if all of the local distribution lines in an area hit by a hurricane were underground, there would be far fewer power outages from the storms. However, they aren't immune to damage from trees. The difference is that for overhead lines, trees fall on them while the roots of a toppled tree can rip underground lines apart.
It is also expensive and takes quite a bit of construction and permitting. I used to have the subsurface construction group for Verizon for all of NJ at one time. I had 6 general heavy construction contracts bid across the State. Burying telecommunication facilities is not a quick, cheap, or easy undertaking. Power facilities have their own complexities as well.

lazyboy97o

It is also expensive and takes quite a bit of construction and permitting. I used to have the subsurface construction group for Verizon for all of NJ at one time. I had 6 general heavy construction contracts bid across the State. Burying telecommunication facilities is not a quick, cheap, or easy undertaking. Power facilities have their own complexities as well.
Nobody has said it is quick or easy. The problem isn’t complexity, but a complete lack of accountability. Money and time has been provided, there’s just little incentive to actually do the work.

dmc493

Kilimanjaro Safaris has a massive amount of down trees (all smaller but definitely noticeable in some of the enclosures) and lots of natural debris still all over the place. will be curious to see what they leave as-is vs cleanup

Eric Graham

Kilimanjaro Safaris has a massive amount of down trees (all smaller but definitely noticeable in some of the enclosures) and lots of natural debris still all over the place. will be curious to see what they leave as-is vs cleanup
oh no...that is such a wonderful and enjoyable ride...are all of the sweet sweet animals alright? 🐶

HakunaMatata89

Just putting this on everyone's radar so we are aware: Yes, there is another system that is potentially forming in the eastern Atlantic. However, several models (e.g. Tropical Tidbits and Windy.com) show it getting pushed back toward the
northeast by 10/22 or so. Another sensational Disney blog which I won't give the pleasure of the publicity (not the usual news source which cannot be named), has a headline that that says "Residents of Central Florida Brace for Impact of Another Hurricane." This is not a time for panic but just to be aware that tropical systems form around hurricane season (June 1 - November 30), sometimes outside the front and end dates..

two_atl_7d0.png
the forecast i was watching said that the cold front that's currently dipping into the south should keep that system heading westward and not impacting the US. Atleast for now.

jmuboy

I noticed this as well. I assume having landscape teams get into the enclosures to clean up and address replanting is a lot more challenging in this attraction for obvious reasons. I would assume the debris will slowly be removed.

Also noticed a good amount of bamboo patches in the attraction were impacted which is easy to cut back and let regrow (which it regrows quickly and easily)

Some degree of natural destruction and regrowth of vegetation gives this attraction its hyper realistic feel. As opposed to the manicured landscape you typically see at WDW

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom