Disney Cruise Line Fleet Expansion

jme

Original Poster
Which two do you anticipate the West Coast getting? I’m guessing one of the new ones but what about the other one?
I would assume the Wonder (or Magic... but probably Wonder) as the smaller ships are necessary preferred for their Alaskan sailings

Last edited:

Indy_UK

Obviously there is a growing demand in cruise line with this aggressive expansion. Does anything think that it's pulling people away from the parks or different clientele with a small overlap?

We are DVC so invested in the parks but we are more addicted to Cruising atm.

Disone

I would assume the Wonder (or Magic... but probably Wonder) as the smaller ships are necessary preferred for their Alaskan sailings
I assume the West Coast gets both. Wonder is already there doing Alaska in the summer and Australia in the winter. Magic is on its way there it's for a West bound Panama canal cruise. I don't think there will be an eastbound Panama canal cruise. And there you go both ships on the west coast.
Hopefully one of those newer ships get here while my kids still care haha.
Do not wait for the newer ship. The older ships are just fine. Arguably the best dining rotation on the fleet. The Middle-Aged ships, the dream and fantasy, don't have any dinner shows. And the issues with the newer ships like the wish have been well documented. So if you're waiting for a newer ship to enjoy with your kids " before the kids get too old", just get on an older ship. You won't regret it. 🙂

mickEblu

I assume the West Coast gets both. Wonder is already there doing Alaska in the summer and Australia in the winter. Magic is on its way there it's for a West bound Panama canal cruise. I don't think there will be an eastbound Panama canal cruise. And there you go both ships on the west coast.

Do not wait for the newer ship. The older ships are just fine. Arguably the best dining rotation on the fleet. The Middle-Aged ships, the dream and fantasy, don't have any dinner shows. And the issues with the newer ships like the wish have been well documented. So if you're waiting for a newer ship to enjoy with your kids " before the kids get too old", just get on an older ship. You won't regret it. 🙂

This is good advice and I would definitely take it if I didn’t just do a week long cruise on the Dream last year. As much fun as we had I just can’t justify flying to Florida from LA again just for a cruise so if I were to get on an another Disney cruise any time soon it would have to be convenient. As in a short drive to the cruise port and park my car. If Disney discounted the older ships I’d be willing to try it out. But due to the low inventory of Disney sailings/ ships out here they aren’t discounted at all. If I do another Disney cruise I’d want to see a new ship. So my next cruise ideally would be something like the Wish, Treasure or one of the 4 new ships leaving out of San Diego. The Dream was a great ship and I’m sure the Wonder might even be better in some ways but in certain areas that matter to my kids like not having an Aqua Duck it doesn’t seem to make sense to “backtrack.”

Indy_UK

I actually only have one request in regards to the new fleet. As much as I love the wonder, it wasn't made for the cold weather in Alaska so I would love for them to have covered/ indoor pools.

Disone

This is good advice and I would definitely take it if I didn’t just do a week long cruise on the Dream last year. As much fun as we had I just can’t justify flying to Florida from LA again just for a cruise so if I were to get on an another Disney cruise any time soon it would have to be convenient. As in a short drive to the cruise port and park my car. If Disney discounted the older ships I’d be willing to try it out. But due to the low inventory of Disney sailings/ ships out here they aren’t discounted at all. If I do another Disney cruise I’d want to see a new ship. So my next cruise ideally would be something like the Wish, Treasure or one of the 4 new ships leaving out of San Diego. The Dream was a great ship and I’m sure the Wonder might even be better in some ways but in certain areas that matter to my kids like not having an Aqua Duck it doesn’t seem to make sense to “backtrack.”
Magic has the aqua dunk which is far more thrilling than the aqua duck. Easily the most thrilling water slide in the entire fleet. A true thrill slide. They both have a much longer yellow Mickey water slide That the entire family may enjoy versus the kids only versions on the dream in fantasy.

The magic and wonder might be older but they're not backtracks. If you haven't been on them they'll be new to you and they'll be fantastic. You won't regret it.

When it comes to Disney Cruise line I think you'll find a large population of Disney Cruise line repeat gst who will confirm for you that both bigger and newer is not better. In fact as compared to the Dream I believe if your next cruise is on the magic or wonder you'll be quite pleased whereas if it's on the Wish I think you'll be disappointed.

Edit : The safest bet for you probably is the Disney Fantasy since you liked the dream so much. Fantasy is an upgraded version of the dream. Same basic ship but with a better adult area.

Last edited:

Surfin' Tuna

In fact as compared to the Dream I believe if your next cruise is on the magic or wonder you'll be quite pleased whereas if it's on the Wish I think you'll be disappointed.
This times 1000. I tell everyone if it's their first cruise the Wish will be great. If you have sailed on the other ships, you'll think the Wish is a step backwards. Go on any of the other four and you'll have a great, great time. Our next cruise was supposed to be on the Treasure, but we moved the reservation to the Fantasy. After going on the Wish, I just can't do it again anytime soon.

Disone

This times 1000. I tell everyone if it's their first cruise the Wish will be great. If you have sailed on the other ships, you'll think the Wish is a step backwards. Go on any of the other four and you'll have a great, great time. Our next cruise was supposed to be on the Treasure, but we moved the reservation to the Fantasy. After going on the Wish, I just can't do it again anytime soon.
I think that's a great call. Having said that I did keep my reservation on the treasure because I want to experience the new bars : The haunted Mansion, 20,000 leagues, and the Skipper society. Mildly curious about the Aristocats but that looks very minimally themed... They added cat paw prints to the piano and a neon sign that says "everybody wants to be a cat" to a bar that looks absolutely nothing like Paris France, the place where the story of the Aristocats take place. And while I am curious about the haunted Mansion 20,000 leagues and Skipper society So I've kept my reservation on the treasure, but the fantasy is an absolutely fantastic trip and you're probably making the better decision than I am. I'll let you know!

Chi84

Premium Member
What specifically did you not like about the Wish?

Disone

I encourage you to Google Disney Wish reviews and look on them, plus reviews on this website. It's pretty well documented. You will see a lot of rage about the buttons on the elevators but that has been fixed.

For me:

The ship is lacking in any large Open spaces. The only space really is the atrium and I missed the classic ocean liner look that is on the interior of the first four ships. Here instead they tried to make it look like a princess castle in the atrium and the rest of the interior just varies, often depending on what bars nearby .

It's okay but I considered the interior design made to look like classic ocean liner that the Magic the Wonder the Dream and Fantasy to be a signature look of the cruise line so I definitely missed it on the Wish.

The pools, while numerous, are wading swimming pools not swimming pools, Even the adult pool. A little bit too shallow to stand in and a little bit too deep to actually sit in. What's the point of an Infinity edge pool when for me, The average 5'7 person, if I stand I tower above the water line and if I sit The water is too high up on my body.

There is no open deck on the ship where you can just walk around the entire ship.

The elevators are Long and deep but literally only two persons wide. So if you're in the back of the elevator everybody has to get out for you to get off on your floor. Additionally not all the elevators go to all the floors. So sometimes this results in you transferring elevators... Go up to the 11th floor cuz that's as high as it will go but you're trying to go to 13 so now you have to get off and hit "up" again to wait for an elevator that will go up to 13. Does it sound complex, it is.

The shows are lacking. They have a short show with Goofy that's cute and all of about 25 minutes. Only two main production shows, Aladdin which is okay but has been over done by Disney (DCA, Fantasy, Broadway....) and the Mermaid show which within the fleet is exclusive to the Wish but also pretty bad.

Bars or lounges are spread across the ship. This can be a pro or a con. Many people miss having an exclusive area however I actually enjoyed this part of the Wish. I liked being able to bar crawl all over the ship. Having said that I wasn't particularly impressed with the bars themselves. Star wars bar was basically Skyline from the Dream or Fantasy with a slight Star wars themeing.

Rotational dining. Marvel restaurant comes across as very utilitarian. Your mileage will vary on the Arendelle restaurant. 1923 seems to be a favorite but the tables are so close to each other that you really can't get up and leave without interrupting another table. Which is doable but also awkward.

If you read the reviews I will share with you the wishes better than its reviews. It's not that bad. The problem is That it is a ship that is " not that bad" in a fleet of ships that are quite excellent.

Chi84

Premium Member
I encourage you to Google Disney Wish reviews and look on them, plus reviews on this website. It's pretty well documented. You will see a lot of rage about the buttons on the elevators but that has been fixed.

For me:

The ship is lacking in any large Open spaces. The only space really is the atrium and I missed the classic ocean liner look that is on the interior of the first four ships. Here instead they tried to make it look like a princess castle in the atrium and the rest of the interior just varies, often depending on what bars nearby .

It's okay but I considered the interior design made to look like classic ocean liner that the Magic the Wonder the Dream and Fantasy to be a signature look of the cruise line so I definitely missed it on the Wish.

The pools, while numerous, are wading swimming pools not swimming pools, Even the adult pool. A little bit too shallow to stand in and a little bit too deep to actually sit in. What's the point of an Infinity edge pool when for me, The average 5'7 person, if I stand I tower above the water line and if I sit The water is too high up on my body.

There is no open deck on the ship where you can just walk around the entire ship.

The elevators are Long and deep but literally only two persons wide. So if you're in the back of the elevator everybody has to get out for you to get off on your floor. Additionally not all the elevators go to all the floors. So sometimes this results in you transferring elevators... Go up to the 11th floor cuz that's as high as it will go but you're trying to go to 13 so now you have to get off and hit "up" again to wait for an elevator that will go up to 13. Does it sound complex, it is.

The shows are lacking. They have a short show with Goofy that's cute and all of about 25 minutes. Only two main production shows, Aladdin which is okay but has been over done by Disney (DCA, Fantasy, Broadway....) and the Mermaid show which within the fleet is exclusive to the Wish but also pretty bad.

Bars or lounges are spread across the ship. This can be a pro or a con. Many people miss having an exclusive area however I actually enjoyed this part of the Wish. I liked being able to bar crawl all over the ship. Having said that I wasn't particularly impressed with the bars themselves. Star wars bar was basically Skyline from the Dream or Fantasy with a slight Star wars themeing.

Rotational dining. Marvel restaurant comes across as very utilitarian. Your mileage will vary on the Arendelle restaurant. 1923 seems to be a favorite but the tables are so close to each other that you really can't get up and leave without interrupting another table. Which is doable but also awkward.

If you read the reviews I will share with you the wishes better than its reviews. It's not that bad. The problem is That it is a ship that is " not that bad" in a fleet of ships that are quite excellent.
Thanks for the thorough response! It’s very helpful.

Surfin' Tuna

I was going to respond, but Disone hit just about everything with a few exceptions. I found the theater seats to be possibly smaller but definitely more uncomfortable. The layout was choppy with dead ends that made no sense - this can be overlooked and you would get used to it I'm sure. The whole "feel" of the ship feels less classy and classic. It feels very cold and corporate compared to the others. This wouldn't be a problem if you hadn't been on the others. That being said, I did find the cabins to be quite nice despite their slightly colder tones.

The dining rooms were way too tight. The table next to us was too close and we had to felt converse with our neighbors. The Marvel dining was just a loud commercial for all things Marvel; I couldn't imagine having to do it that more than once.

As I said, I canceled our Treasure reservation, but I might end up regretting it. We have been on all the other ships, so it will be sad to have missed one of them.

To be totally fair, I have to say I found Palo to be better on the Wish. The food was delicious!

Two Ears

Wish is the best ship if you want disney magic.

other ships better if you want more room in adult pool area.

the other reasons mentioned above are all pretty insignificant and ignore the reasons why wish is better. more immersive restaurants and bars, better pirates night. Uncharted adventure is awesome (when it works), aqua mouse is better than aqua duck, better kids clubs, walking to the front of the ship is awesome, new pool layout means you are more likely to get pool space on your own and avoid the certain human soup on the other pools, a really cool band onboard playing disney hits.

and i think treasure may even be better again Hopefully.

Last edited:

Disone

the other reasons mentioned above are all pretty insignificant and ignore the reasons why wish is better. more immersive restaurants and bars, better pirates night. Uncharted adventure is awesome (when it works), aqua mouse is better than aqua duck, better kids clubs, walking to the front of the ship is awesome, new pool layout means you are more likely to get pool space on your own and avoid the certain human soup on the other pools, a really cool band onboard playing disney hits.

Well this sort of ignores the fact that the Wish Is the lowest rated ship in the fleet. It does get solid ratings from guests who have not been on the other four ships. However if it's a repeat Disney Cruise line guest, the Wish does not score well at all. Even with its concierge , with its sophisticated lounge and much more elaborate pool area for concierge.

I've been on all five ships and on 22 Disney cruises. My personal experiences are consistent with the ratings of the ship. And I like the Wish, I'm not saying it's a bad ship. I am saying it is the least of the five. One of them has to be and it's definitely the Wish. If that makes any sense.

These are not insignificant shortcomings as you seem to indicate, quite disingenuously.

All this is a moot point as my whole point was that the user should feel absolutely comfortable taking a cruise on the Magic or the Wonder. They're not going to be disappointed feeling like they are in some lower class Disney Ship.

Last edited:

Surfin' Tuna

In addition to the points made my Disone above, I would like to add a couple of others. Yes, it is nice to walk to the front of the ship, but it does not make up for the inability to walk around the deck - having a real walking deck is nice on a ship. I'm not sure I would call Arendelle more immersive. Marvel, while "immersive," is just immersive in that it is loud and a commercial for Marvel with clips from several movies. This might be fun for some children so I do not begrudge anyone who likes it. 1923 is a fine restaurant, but it like the other two is just too tight.

Aqua mouse wastes a lot of space with the climb hill that is nothing but screens and the occasional spray to the face, but it is subjective and not worth disagreeing if you love it. Pirates night and kids clubs are definitely better on the Wish. As it has been pointed out, it does not score well. It is not just a couple of disgruntled people online saying these things. I would also say that I think the first four ships just seem to feel warmer with the color tones and whimsy versus the attempt at an upscale feel. If you love it, though, you should keep going on it. Lots of people on here will not be competing for the rooms you want.

peter11435

As it has been pointed out, it does not score well. It is not just a couple of disgruntled people online saying these things.
Just a point of clarity. The wish actually scores highest in the fleet among first time cruisers and first time Disney cruisers. It scores much lower among those who have previous experience with the other Disney ships.

Surfin' Tuna

Just a point of clarity. The wish actually scores highest in the fleet among first time cruisers and first time Disney cruisers. It scores much lower among those who have previous experience with the other Disney ships.
This was previously stated, and I will admit it was a matter of being spoiled by the other ships. If I had never scored on DCL, I would think it's a great ship minus the walking deck issue. That's something almost every other line has. The kids club, the great fireworks show, and the other Disney touches would win my heart had I not been spoiled by the other four.

Two Ears

Well this sort of ignores the fact that the Wish Is the lowest rated ship in the fleet. It does get solid ratings from guests who have not been on the other four ships. However if it's a repeat Disney Cruise line guest, the Wish does not score well at all. Even with its concierge , with its sophisticated lounge and much more elaborate pool area for concierge.

I've been on all five ships and on 22 Disney cruises. My personal experiences are consistent with the ratings of the ship. And I like the Wish, I'm not saying it's a bad ship. I am saying it is the least of the five. One of them has to be and it's definitely the Wish. If that makes any sense.

These are not insignificant shortcomings as you seem to indicate, quite disingenuously.

All this is a moot point as my whole point was that the user should feel absolutely comfortable taking a cruise on the Magic or the Wonder. They're not going to be disappointed feeling like they are in some lower class Disney Ship.
I felt like I was in a lower class ship when doing the magic after I did the wish. Even felt it on the dream compared to the wish.

Less to do and not as magical or up to date. The difference isnt massive but its clearly there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom