News Magic Kingdom's Carousel of Progress Gets a Retro-Inspired Seating Makeover

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Think this was mentioned in a few threads, but probably deserves its own.

Magic Kingdom's Carousel of Progress Gets a Retro-Inspired Seating Makeover​

Carousel-of-Progress_Full_57068.jpg

Carousel-of-Progress_Full_57066.jpg

More photos at https://www.wdwmagic.com/attraction...ing-at-carousel-of-progress---summer-2024.htm

AndyS2992

I think it looks great and a nice nod to it's history, but isn't it supposed to be Tomorrowland, not Retroland? Very 60s. But then again how does one make a chair look futuristic? 😂 Plus I like that all these theatre renovations, as with Muppets 3D, are replacing the sweat absorbing fabric for an easier to clean pleather material, though I fear these will wear out and need replacing more often.

FN2BFRE

I think it looks great and a nice nod to it's history, but isn't it supposed to be Tomorrowland, not Retroland? Very 60s. But then again how does one make a chair look futuristic? 😂 Plus I like that all these theatre renovations, as with Muppets 3D, are replacing the sweat absorbing fabric for an easier to clean pleather material, though I fear these will wear out and need replacing more often.
I think embracing the vintage side of Tomorrowland helps them avoid it seeming dated, allowing it to become a stylized version of the nostalgic future of the past rather than trying to keep it on the cutting edge of everything.

MrPromey

Love to see investments like this that can be done outside park hours with no negative effect on guests. I still wish they’d invest in some updates to the show itself, mostly the final act, but at least we still have this classic attraction.
A part of me agrees with you about that last scene but I also feel like with the current state of things in the company and imagineering, it might be better to let sleeping dogs lie for now.

Some day, though, I'd like to see them come back around and update it with a "retro" scene that caps off the 20th century and ends with an optimistic look to the future - making it evergreen... or updating it to something that seems near-future by current standards of the time.

The more time that passes, though, the greater the leap when going to that final scene if they plan to keep trying to make it the day beyond tomorrow so I think making the whole thing more of a time capsule with a fun modern outro narration might be the better approach.

I really hope if Disney ever decides to replace this, it can find a home at the Smithsonian rather than have the animatronics reskinned to background characters in another attraction somewhere and the on-set props sold at auction.

If Archie's chair from All In The Family has a place, I think both the message and the attraction itself have a place in our country's preserved history.

Last edited:

Biff215

A part of me agrees with you about that last scene but I also feel like with the current state of things in the company and imagineering, it might be better to let sleeping dogs lie for now.

Some day, though, I'd like to see them come back around and update it with a "retro" scene that caps off the 20th century and ends with an optimistic look to the future - making it evergreen... or updating it to something that seems near-future by current standards of the time.

The more time that passes, though, the greater the leap when going to that final scene if they plan to keep trying to make it the day beyond tomorrow so I think making the whole thing more of a time capsule with a fun modern outro narration might be the better approach.

I really hope if Disney ever decides to replace this, it can find a home at the Smithsonian rather than have the animatronics reskinned to background characters in another attraction somewhere and the on-set props sold at auction.

If Archie's chair from All In The Family has a place, I think both the message and the attraction itself have a place in our country's history.
I completely agree on all points. No need to have the final scene in today’s future. I’d actually prefer they go back to the original final scene to avoid a time warp that makes no sense. As you said, it has historical significance and deserves to stick around.

Bocabear

I really wish the last scene was set in the late 60s, early 70s.... Maybe some new event like the first steps on the moon being watched by the family... a new innovation, a change in the world.... Not that dismal 1980s re-skinned New Years skit. The original Worlds Fair ending wuld be great... or even the 1970 WDW original complete with it's original song (Now is the Time). I agree the last scene really needs to be less of a leap and let the entire show be the time capsule that it is showcasing the innovation and hope for the future that was the 20th Century. Sadly we don't have the additional scene with staircase leading to Progress City....Which would be amazing to see.

Bocabear

I like the fabric... I think in the 70s it was teaal to match the draperies in the first scene.... but nice to see anything with a little thought happening. Now if they can get rid of Grandma's mid 90s video game......

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom