News Joe Rohde Reveals He Thought Avatar Might End His Career: Insights from the Legendary Disney Imagineer

TrainsOfDisney

As soon as you think it's starting to get to something actually happening, the ride is over.

It would be something different if Disney didn't have a history of long, well done water rides in its portfolio with a lot more that happens during the ride.
It would be nice if it was the length of pirates - but most Disney attractions are in the 4-5 minute mark these days.

flyerjab

Of all the people to criticize at Disney… Joe is not the person!!!

He’s one of a few that legit earns the Legend status.
Could not agree more. I have met him several times. Once I met him getting coffee in the concierge lounge at AKL. We were there for advanced opening of Pandora for AP holders. He must have talked to us for 20 to 30 minutes. Could not have been more honest and open of a gentleman. No one is perfect, but he is not an Imagineer to dump on.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I had some minor disagreements with how he designed Animal Kingdom but it was more of....multiple ways, all valid, to create theme parks. Example: World Showcase is sort of an idyllic version of the host countries, whereas Animal Kingdom is more realistic........both have their merits and it actually took me TRAVELING to places similar to what's in Animal Kingdom to appreciate them more.

lazyboy97o

I believe it was originally supposed to be longer and with a drop. A possible 3rd attraction as well. Budgets changed which is why I don’t put a lot of stock in everything they are going to announce and show concept art for this weekend
The budgets weren’t cut. Realizing you can’t afford what you want isn’t a budget cut.

Of all the people to criticize at Disney… Joe is not the person!!!

He’s one of a few that legit earns the Legend status.
A lot of also just pathetic reactionary nonsense.

MrPromey

I had some minor disagreements with how he designed Animal Kingdom but it was more of....multiple ways, all valid, to create theme parks. Example: World Showcase is sort of an idyllic version of the host countries, whereas Animal Kingdom is more realistic........both have their merits and it actually took me TRAVELING to places similar to what's in Animal Kingdom to appreciate them more.

I hear they're turning to recent events in an effort to make the France pavilion more realistic in a budget-minded way. They'll be installing a sign and door for an entrance to a rooftop bar that they're not going to actually build.

The plan is to have a cast member at ground level turning everyone away who enquirers about going there, informing them it's at capacity.

😏 💩

I only have a cursory knowledge of Rohde and his career, but I've always thought Rohde is a great designer- he's just not a great Disney designer. His work would feel out of place inside a Magic Kingdom style park, whereas Tony Baxter's work feels right at home.

Which is a good thing. This let Disney differentiate Animal Kingdom and gave Walt Disney World something unique.

I just can't believe the guy that designed AK signed off on this monstrosity of an attraction facade-

View attachment 806831
I feel like that's the best they could have done with what was given. They were stuck with a building only meant for one thing and had to theme it to a property that couldn't be more different from that original thing. Like it sucks but it was either sign off in this or it doesn't get completed at all.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom