News Joe Rohde Reveals He Thought Avatar Might End His Career: Insights from the Legendary Disney Imagineer

erasure fan1

I agree that Animal Kingdom needs more dark rides… but I will take Navi for what it is…. I love rides that has an atmospheric environments(one of my favorite sections of any ride is the environment at the beginning of pirates before any pillaging has begun…
Exactly, that was my point. It's not some god awful ride. It's just flight of passage is so much better. Unfortunately the demand for FoP made too much spillover for Navi. That created to high an expectation for it. I think we all, well most, fell in love with the atmosphere of Pirates, haunted mansion. They aren't going to make it longer, but adding in something like a Banshee AA is completely within reason and very much plus the ride.

Epcot81Fan

Unfortunately, Navi is half an attraction and we are now just left to make excuses for it.

Nearly ever time I have ridden it, there is at least one “That’s it?!” comment from somebody.

Whether that is poor budgeting, planning, or design by the Imagineering team, it’s an unfortunate lost opportunity we will never be able to correct.

SuddenStorm

I also enjoy hearing Rohde pontificate about why Animal Kingdom was built without signage so that guests would “discover” the park.

Only to then have to sheepishly backtrack as it was a humiliating, complete disaster and now the park is polluted with signage everywhere.

Sometimes it's worth trying, though. I mean the no signage works well enough at Costco. At least they were willing to walk it back... Disney these days would dig their heels in and blame the guest.

I think it's interesting how for some of their newer attractions, like Rise of the Resistance, there isn't a proper marquee. Sometimes WDI drifts to far into 'realism' that they forget first and foremost it's a theme park, and needs to be easy to navigate and know where you are.

Epcot81Fan

I think it's interesting how for some of their newer attractions, like Rise of the Resistance, there isn't a proper marquee. Sometimes WDI drifts to far into 'realism' that they forget first and foremost it's a theme park, and needs to be easy to navigate and know where you are.
And then to add to that “realism”, they put merch kiosks right in front of the marquee-less entrance hawking plastic flight helmets and Star Wars souvies.

It’s as if everything is designed by departments who have never met.

1722911562136.jpeg

Last edited:

SuddenStorm

I only have a cursory knowledge of Rohde and his career, but I've always thought Rohde is a great designer- he's just not a great Disney designer. His work would feel out of place inside a Magic Kingdom style park, whereas Tony Baxter's work feels right at home.

Which is a good thing. This let Disney differentiate Animal Kingdom and gave Walt Disney World something unique.

I just can't believe the guy that designed AK signed off on this monstrosity of an attraction facade-

1722911427915.png

christine7257

I was able to attend a special talk Joe gave at Tiffins back in 2018 in association with the park's 20th anniversary and even luckier to sit at his table. He was nicer and even more interesting than you could hope he'd be. He was so generous with his time and made sure every single person there was able to ask him a question if they wanted to (even about the Yeti, which I'm sure he gets tired of hearing about) and get a photo with him. Amazing storyteller. Will forever be in my top few Disney experiences ever. Sometimes I question these Legends appointments but not this one!! So well deserved!!

Comped

I was able to attend a special talk Joe gave at Tiffins back in 2018 in association with the park's 20th anniversary and even luckier to sit at his table. He was nicer and even more interesting than you could hope he'd be. He was so generous with his time and made sure every single person there was able to ask him a question if they wanted to (even about the Yeti, which I'm sure he gets tired of hearing about) and get a photo with him. Amazing storyteller. Will forever be in my top few Disney experiences ever. Sometimes I question these Legends appointments but not this one!! So well deserved!!
Disney should start up Dine with a Disney Legend again... No idea why they haven't. Used to be stupidly popular.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom