Polynesian, Wilderness, yet POP is the best !!!

DW Aficionado

Original Poster
After visiting WDW every year for the past 25 years, I have to post to say that the POP Resort is better than the Polynesian or Wilderness Lodge.

At first we were going to the Polynesian. When that resort became too expensive we downgraded to the Wilderness Lodge. When they became too expensive we said lets try the POP, how bad could it be. Well it is amazing.

Polynesian Resort
Pros:
On the monorail loop
Great atmosphere till the cabanas blocked the view
Cons:
Have to walk potentially far to the snack area
Snack shop is limited
Buses to other parks can be filled as they first come from the Contemporary then to the Grand Floridian

Wilderness Lodge
Pros:
Beautiful design
Snack shop located inside the building
Cons:
Small rooms
Long interval between buses to other parks (20 minutes +)
Snack shop is limited

POP
Pros:
Cheaper in price
Nice efficient rooms
Snack shop has full menu for breakfast, lunch or dinner
Buses run continuously
Direct bus to the Magic Kingdom
Direct access to the Skyliner for EPCOT or Hollywood Studio
Cons:
No balcony

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Glad that you are happy with Pop Century. The Skyliner has been a game changer for that resort. However it does shut down frequently in summer for weather; then it is back to the bus. The bus stop for POP at the parks tends to be one of the furthest from the entrance, so some might consider that a negative.

I agree that the Poly bungalows are an eyesore but they do not block the entire view. The tropical vibe is still there, especially in the resort proper. The Polynesian shares buses to AK and DHS with the Grand Floridian and is the first picked up/dropped off. Getting a seat in the morning is not a problem.

Walking to the TTC from the Poly to the Epcot monorail is a huge plus. Both monorail and boat transportation to MK is available and once the DVC tower construction is complete, walking to MK will be an option.

Wilderness Lodge rooms are smaller than other deluxe resort rooms because it was built to be a moderate. It’s why it has the lowest deluxe room rates.

I stay at WL several times a year and bus service is on par with other resorts. It has direct park transport in the morning. MK can be accessed by bus or boat. It shares buses to DHS and AK after the morning rush with Contemporary. It may or may not share the Epcot bus with Ft. Wilderness (depends on time of year.)

I am glad Disney made so many different resorts from which to choose. All resorts have pros and cons. Price is always a big consideration, so when deluxe resorts become too expensive for one’s budget it’s nice to have moderate and value resort options. I tend to be a positive person and look for the positives in each resort where I stay. I can be happy at any level WDW resort.

Skibum1970

Glad that you are happy with Pop Century. The Skyliner has been a game changer for that resort. However it does shut down frequently in summer for weather; then it is back to the bus. The bus stop for POP at the parks tends to be one of the furthest from the entrance, so some might consider that a negative.

I agree that the Poly bungalows are an eyesore but they do not block the entire view. The tropical vibe is still there, especially in the resort proper. The Polynesian shares buses to AK and DHS with the Grand Floridian and is the first picked up/dropped off. Getting a seat in the morning is not a problem.

Walking to the TTC from the Poly to the Epcot monorail is a huge plus. Both monorail and boat transportation to MK is available and once the DVC tower construction is complete, walking to MK will be an option.

Wilderness Lodge rooms are smaller than other deluxe resort rooms because it was built to be a moderate. It’s why it has the lowest deluxe room rates.

I stay at WL several times a year and bus service is on par with other resorts. It has direct park transport in the morning. MK can be accessed by bus or boat. It shares buses to DHS and AK after the morning rush with Contemporary. It may or may not share the Epcot bus with Ft. Wilderness (depends on time of year.)

I am glad Disney made so many different resorts from which to choose. All resorts have pros and cons. Price is always a big consideration, so when deluxe resorts become too expensive for one’s budget it’s nice to have moderate and value resort options. I tend to be a positive person and look for the positives in each resort where I stay. I can be happy at any level WDW resort.

Hmm, the poster's name is "Tuvalu". BIASED!!!

Kidding. I agree. The various hotels really do fill different needs/wants for those who wish to stay onsite. I prefer the Wilderness Lodge and Port Orleans but see the appeal for all of the resorts. Contemporary might be expensive but I can easily walk to the Magic Kingdom, our favorite park. I have friends who love Epcot and the festivals and thus Beach Club/Boardwalk, and Yacht Club are perfect for them.

Each resort will have its negatives as well. The value resorts are heavily utilized by the various competition groups. The moderates may not have the level of theming or interior hallways. The deluxes get expensive. I'm sure others can nitpick the resorts or add other benefits. We just try to enjoy wherever we stay.

Cariad

My only gripe with the Skyliner is the EPCOT station when it goes down and you get there and are expected to go back into the park walk all the way to the front entrance to get a bus there. I ended up taking the boat to DHS and if it wasn't running there either then take the bus as it's not so far to walk to and you get a nice boat ride to boot.
You would think Disney could send out alerts about the Skyliner going down to prevent guests walking to it only to find it had gone down.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
My only gripe with the Skyliner is the EPCOT station when it goes down and you get there and are expected to go back into the park walk all the way to the front entrance to get a bus there. I ended up taking the boat to DHS and if it wasn't running there either then take the bus as it's not so far to walk to and you get a nice boat ride to boot.
You would think Disney could send out alerts about the Skyliner going down to prevent guests walking to it only to find it had gone down.
Little known tip - if the IG Skyliner is closed walk to Beach Club (or Boardwalk, though I haven’t tried Boardwalk) bus area. A “Skyliner Resort” bus picks up guests and makes stops at Pop, AoA, CBR and Riviera. No need to walk back through Epcot to the front of the park. I imagine protocol is to send guests to the front since the front bus areas can accommodate many more people than the small resort stops at Beach/Boardwalk.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom