Typhoon Lagoon help

DisneyDreamer08

Hi everyone! I am going to Typhoon Lagoon for the first time this August with my 13 year old daughter. I am not really a water parks person, I am more going for my daughter and to check it off my Disney bucket list šŸ˜‚
Iā€™ve been looking at pictures and videos online and I made 3 categories-
Yes / Maybe / No

On my yes list, I have the lazy river and the wave pool. Iā€™m guessing thatā€™s where we will spend most of our time.

100% hard no for me is Crush n Gusher, Storm Slides and Humunga Kowabunga. Sliding without a tube is a definite no. As is sliding in the dark.

Iā€™m hoping for some input on my maybes. Iā€™m looking for opinions from people who have done them. On my maybe list I have Miss Adventure Falls, Gangplank Falls, Keelhaul Falls, and Mayday Falls.

Basically, I do not like getting repeatedly splashed in the face or going underwater. As a comparison, I recently did the Aqua Duck on the Disney Dream and I HATED it. It was like someone just kept dumping buckets of water on my head šŸ˜‚

For those of you who have been to TL, what do you think of my maybes? Can I handle them?

Thank you!

DisneyFanatic12

Hi everyone! I am going to Typhoon Lagoon for the first time this August with my 13 year old daughter. I am not really a water parks person, I am more going for my daughter and to check it off my Disney bucket list šŸ˜‚
Iā€™ve been looking at pictures and videos online and I made 3 categories-
Yes / Maybe / No

On my yes list, I have the lazy river and the wave pool. Iā€™m guessing thatā€™s where we will spend most of our time.

100% hard no for me is Crush n Gusher, Storm Slides and Humunga Kowabunga. Sliding without a tube is a definite no. As is sliding in the dark.

Iā€™m hoping for some input on my maybes. Iā€™m looking for opinions from people who have done them. On my maybe list I have Miss Adventure Falls, Gangplank Falls, Keelhaul Falls, and Mayday Falls.

Basically, I do not like getting repeatedly splashed in the face or going underwater. As a comparison, I recently did the Aqua Duck on the Disney Dream and I HATED it. It was like someone just kept dumping buckets of water on my head šŸ˜‚

For those of you who have been to TL, what do you think of my maybes? Can I handle them?

Thank you!
Hello! I go to the waterparks multiple times a week and am actually writing this while at TL.

If you donā€™t like having water dumped on you, then Miss Adventure Falls is a no-go. There are multiple ā€œwaterfallsā€ as you exit the enclosed segments of the slide. Mayday Falls is very rough, which is what makes people love it. With that being said, there is a waterfall at the end of the slide, and the ā€œrapidsā€ splash you quite a bit. Keelhaul Falls actually was once a kiddie slide but was converted because of the many guests that wished to go on it. Itā€™s fairly graceful, but some water usually sprays on you at the end of the slide due to the sprinkler system that keeps the guest paths wet. As for Gangplank Falls, thatā€™s probably a definite no. With the last refurb they added tons of water emitters and that family raft now absolutely soaks you.

As for one thing to add to your list, it might not be the most exciting but the mountain overlook trail is quite cute and fun.

Feel free to ask any more questions you may have!

Upvote 0

DisneyDreamer08

Original Poster
Hello! I go to the waterparks multiple times a week and am actually writing this while at TL.

If you donā€™t like having water dumped on you, then Miss Adventure Falls is a no-go. There are multiple ā€œwaterfallsā€ as you exit the enclosed segments of the slide. Mayday Falls is very rough, which is what makes people love it. With that being said, there is a waterfall at the end of the slide, and the ā€œrapidsā€ splash you quite a bit. Keelhaul Falls actually was once a kiddie slide but was converted because of the many guests that wished to go on it. Itā€™s fairly graceful, but some water usually sprays on you at the end of the slide due to the sprinkler system that keeps the guest paths wet. As for Gangplank Falls, thatā€™s probably a definite no. With the last refurb they added tons of water emitters and that family raft now absolutely soaks you.

As for one thing to add to your list, it might not be the most exciting but the mountain overlook trail is quite cute and fun.

Feel free to ask any more questions you may have!
This is so helpful! Thanks so much!
If my daughter wants to ride something but I donā€™t, can I wait in line with her and then exit?

And looking at just Miss Adventure Falls and Gangplank Falls, which is the least intimidating? Iā€™m just thinking if my daughter really wants me to ride something with her, maybe I can suck it once and be brave šŸ˜‚

Upvote 0

DisneyFanatic12

If my daughter wants to ride something but I donā€™t, can I wait in line with her and then exit?
Yup! You likely wonā€™t be alone either, since a lot of parents will walk the queue backwards once theyā€™re done waiting in line. Once youā€™ve been on the slides once or twice, you can then eyeball the waits too. Often times most of the slides are walk-ons, especially during the week! Also to note, there is one slide on Crush and Gusher that will have the water pressure adjusted to allow single riders to go down. So your daughter can go down if she wants to.

And looking at just Miss Adventure Falls and Gangplank Falls, which is the least intimidating?
Gangplank Falls now has a strong waterfall at the beginning, a waterfall pouring from Mayday Falls, and two water curtains that completely cover the flume.

Miss Adventure Falls is newer and much smoother and predictable. Staying almost completely dry waist and up mostly comes down to luck, but I have a few ā€œtipsā€ to stay nearly dry.

1. They recently upped the rider count from 2-4 to 3-4. If there is no single rider, then they sometimes send down tubes of two depending on the estimated weight of the raft. No matter the case, try to face forward and be in the center of the raft. You can ask the dispatcher at the bottom of the conveyor and theyā€™ll turn the tube for you.
2. Nearly all the ā€œwaterfallsā€ are avoidable if you duck towards the center, because the water mostly just sprays to the sides of the emitter.
3. For the final splash, donā€™t lean against the wall of the tube, and your tube will skid more than it splashes.

Upvote 0

DisneyFanatic12

Have you ever watched videos of the wave pool? If you don't like water going over your head, you will definitely want to stay in the really shallow areas. They typically have the pool set so that one huge wave (and I mean huge) comes every few minutes. If you are standing where it's deeper (even like waist deep), that wave will suck you in.
That is true. The large 6-foot waves come every 90 seconds for 90 minutes. After that, the small/traditional waves come for 30 minutes. The schedule is usually posted near Leaning Palms, but isn't always perfectly accurate (depends on when they turn on the first round of waves, which is usually a minute or two off from the exact posted time).

But yes, definitely stand towards the shore and not near the walls. The wave sprays up pretty high on impact with those walls!

Upvote 0

DisneyDreamer08

Original Poster
Have you ever watched videos of the wave pool? If you don't like water going over your head, you will definitely want to stay in the really shallow areas. They typically have the pool set so that one huge wave (and I mean huge) comes every few minutes. If you are standing where it's deeper (even like waist deep), that wave will suck you in.
I actually just watched the Mammoth Club video and I was legit terrified šŸ˜‚ I told my 13 year I wanted her to wear a life vest šŸ¤£ But yes, I will definitely be hanging towards the shore or chilling in a chair while my daughter braves the wave.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom