Tips to beat the heat

Mondo

In an effort to take advantage of the lower crowds of September, I will be going to WDW shortly after Labor Day that month, to AK and MK (it’ll be a full week after Labor Day by the time I do Magic Kingdom). However, I know why it’s so uncrowded at that point- the hurricane dice roll, and the *heat*.

For context, I am a 30yo adult male, and my father (the other person who will be there) is in his early 60s. We are both in good cardio health.

Here’s what I plan to wear:
- Menthol-infused compression stockings (haven’t decided on white or black)
- Gym shorts (so the compression stockings don’t look dorky in the photos)
- Breathable UVS shirt- possibly even long sleeved to avoid skin damage. But it might just be too hot.
- Broad-rimmed fishing hat
- Polarized sunglasses

Should I sling a cooling rag over my neck? What about bringing my own water bottle? My understanding is that we can get water from the quick service stations, and that would be preferable to figuring out what to do with the water bottles on every ride. However I don’t want to be a nuisance to the quick service people, getting free water (then again, I suppose they get paid the same either way).

Beyond the issue of what to bring, is it feasible to seek shelter and try to be indoors as much as possible? I think that the lower crowds might afford me that possibility, but I can’t be sure.

DisneyFanatic12

My understanding is that we can get water from the quick service stations, and that would be preferable to figuring out what to do with the water bottles on every ride. However I don’t want to be a nuisance to the quick service people, getting free water (then again, I suppose they get paid the same either way).
Bring a water bottle for sure. The only ride that you cannot bring your water bottle on is Tron, which you’ll leave your water in the locker for (I guess an honorable mention is FoP, where it’s stored in a shelf behind you). You can get ice water at any booth or QS location with a soda fountain. This includes multiple popcorn carts, like the one in front of the castle and the one near Mission: SPACE. Finally, during hotter times of the year, they usually have ice water jugs out to fill your bottle(s) at (currently jugs are at Casey’s Corner, Tamu Tamu Refreshments, and Satu'li Canteen)

As for whether it’s a nuisance to ask for a cup of water, I’d say not. For my sister, at least, she greatly prefers giving out cups of water to food, as people who ask for water are usually grateful and don’t complain about everything. All depends on the person though.

Upvote 0

DisneyFanatic12

Beyond the issue of what to bring, is it feasible to seek shelter and try to be indoors as much as possible? I think that the lower crowds might afford me that possibility, but I can’t be sure.
Try to space outdoor and indoor rides out as much as possible. Of course, this can be hard depending on how the crowds disperse for the day, but something that you should certainly try to do is eat your meals inside. Additionally, if able, take a trip to a resort during the middle of the day. Take the Skyliner to the Riviera, or take a quick walk to the Contemporary. The resorts have a great assortment of food offerings, and they'll give you valuable time exploring out of the sun.

Upvote 0

NelleBelle

I hope sunscreen is on your list and that you reapply it. I use a FroggTogg cooling towel when we go in Sep. Agternoon breaks are also a good idea, whether for napping in the a/c or pool time. We do the parks in the morning and return in the late afternoon/evening to beat the heat in the afternoon when it’s brutal. Moaoture wicking fabric is your friend.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom