News Above-Normal Hurricane Season Predicted for 2024

monothingie

Too bad, sugar puff. We could have been something.
Premium Member
None of these names are Disney Princesses. Worst Hurricane Season Ever.

Severe-Weather-Information_Full_56063.jpg

jeanericuser001

None of these names are Disney Princesses. Worst Hurricane Season Ever.

Severe-Weather-Information_Full_56063.jpg
Debby does jokes are gonna be off the chain. Debby does orlando and blows everyone without mercy. Debby does miami and leaves it a mess. Debby does the east coast and leaves it in tears. Another thought just occurred to me as storm size will be important. Will it be a big debby hurricane or......a little debby hurricane. hehe

Last edited:

pigglewiggle

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
Researchers from the Colorado State University Tropical Meteorology Project predicted in April an "extremely active" 2024 season, including 23 named storms. Previous years had an average of 14.4 named storms. Their forecast included a 62% chance of a Category 3, 4 or 5 hurricane making landfall on the continental U.S. coastline, an increase from the average prediction of 43%.

Along the East Coast, including the Florida peninsula, the probability jumped to 34% from 21% – which was the average likelihood from 1880-2020. Along the Gulf Coast and Florida Panhandle, the increase was higher. Researchers predicted a 42% probability in that area, up from an average of 27% in previous years.

^I guess there’s still some chance we squeak by without having a horrible year. Not looking good though.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I read that we may swing right back into a La NIna for winter and it looks like it's happening. Selfishly, I read that made weather in Orlando during December a bit warmer and sunny.

I hope for a quiet hurricane season and a pleasant December!
We are coming out of a strong El Niño so a swing to a strong La Niña is usually what happens. The problem is La Niña usually means less wind shear aloft and that is a limiting factor for developing hurricanes. Without that wind shear, small storms can develop into big storms and big storms can develop into major storms.

I take their storm prediction numbers with a grain of salt. They have shot high in recent years and have missed by a fair margin at least a few times.

JohnD

Lilofan

Florida doesn't need anymore intense hurricanes. Insurers are either pulling out of the state, cancelling policies "to limit exposure" , denying new buyers insurance until structures meets code at homeowner expense or a number of homeowners are without home insurance after paying off the home because unable to get insurance after getting notices their insurances will be cancelled.

Last edited:

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Florida doesn't need anymore intense hurricanes. Insurers are either pulling out of the state, cancelling policies "to limit exposure" , denying new buyers insurance until structures meets code at homeowner expense or a number of homeowners are without home insurance after paying off the home because unable to get insurance after getting notices their insurances will be cancelled.
A very bad season might just cause the complete collapse of the homeowners insurance market in this state. It's teetering on the brink as it is.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I dont see how any business does business in this state as litigious as it is. You cant go anywhere without lawfirm advertising on billboards or radio.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I dont see how any business does business in this state as litigious as it is. You cant go anywhere without lawfirm advertising on billboards or radio.

I noticed that as well a few months ago. So many radio ads and billboards claiming how much money these lawfirms "had recovered" for "the victims". And all I could think of was, "This is what's driving insurance rates through the roof".

Lilofan

There was no 2020, we went from 2019 to 2021.
2020 was a nightmare , blur, out of body experience , panic, frustration , employment issues etc and that's not even hurricanes. I wish I could have bought a huge stash of hand sanitizer in Jan/Feb 2020 and resold to many willing buyers.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom