News Above-Normal Hurricane Season Predicted for 2024

Lilofan

A very bad season might just cause the complete collapse of the homeowners insurance market in this state. It's teetering on the brink as it is.
Some maybe rolling the dice without home insurance by choice or unable to get it and pray that FEMA helps out if impacted by weather related issues.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I noticed that as well a few months ago. So many radio ads and billboards claiming how much money these lawfirms "had recovered" for "the victims". And all I could think of was, "This is what's driving insurance rates through the roof".
My neighbor was forced to go through an attorney after suffering relatively minor damage from an unnamed storm.

The short version of the story is the insurance company denied nearly everything and going through an attorney was pretty much his only option to get his insurance company to honor the policy he had been paying for for 20ish years.

At that time the insurance companies also had to reimburse legal fees. As of December 2022 they no longer have to cover the legal fees even if they are found to have improperly denied a claim. Insurance companies are still pulling out of the state despite that huge win.

Lilofan

I noticed that as well a few months ago. So many radio ads and billboards claiming how much money these lawfirms "had recovered" for "the victims". And all I could think of was, "This is what's driving insurance rates through the roof".
A few years ago a number of roofers went door to door and many willing homeowners agreed to the insurance industry scam. The roofers would walk the roof and document " weather related damage " and they would contact the insurance agencies. Then the homeowner was advised all they had to pay was their deductible and that in a few days get a brand new roof. Multiply that by X amount of homes and you get the picture.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I dont necessarily have an issue with advertising. Its the advertising of alleged settlements which is concerning. Most people see those numbers and dont realize that isnt what necessarily went into the “victims “ pocket after legal expenses, the firms 30 to 50 percent cut and many times reduced judgement.

Brian

The market is stabilizing and conditions are improving. This was in the news just yesterday:

GOW1_0HXsAcavp3.jpeg

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I dont necessarily have an issue with advertising. Its the advertising of alleged settlements which is concerning. Most people see those numbers and dont realize that isnt what necessarily went into the “victims “ pocket after legal expenses, the firms 30 to 50 percent cut and many times reduced judgement.
Yeah, that's the part that few understand. People see the $$$ but how much of that went to the lawyers? Personally, I think those ads are abhorrent.

Lilofan

We shall see. Farmer's is not renewing my policy and I will need a new carrier by mid-September. So far every quote I have gotten has been 3 times what I am currently paying.
You must have passed the dreaded 4 point inspection prior to getting approved for new home insurance. Congratulations.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I still have my Chris from Orlando CM nametag...since I lived in Orlando before, it was great.

For those who aren't aware, as a CM if you ever forget your own nametag, they had generic ones...Chris from Orlando was one, forget what the other one was.
It's Pat!

Lilofan

The weather pays zero attention to the science.
One unique aspect of science is when we lived through a Cat 3 and hunkering down in our walk in closet because it had no windows is that the timing was incredible. The hurricane team predicted to the hour when the Cat 3 would be going through our part of the town and how long it would be there. Then after 3am all of us neighbors went outside to survey the damage and check on fellow neighbors. Then for the next week we lived with no power and it was clean up of our homes and , streets by homeowners before the evening county curfew.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom