Imminent Changes to Peter Pans Flight

splah

If I were WDI emperor, I would proclaim “restraint” as the word of the day. Bigger is t always bigger. The older dark rides have a rough and tumble feel. I’ve said it elsewhere but all the new stuff feels too perfect, too real, especially in fantasy settings. The new beauty and the beast tangle and frozen, there are eye popping scenes but the settings are so huge that they feel flat and emotionless. The previous generations of designers were able to communicate the “idea” of a tableau with a glance. Now we need 15 signs with load of text to explain what’s happening. It’s almost as though they’ve advanced the technological piece of WDI and left the story tellers behind.

If you didn’t have a1000 technology how would the new princess rides look and feel?

tanc

The new Tokyo DisneySea ride still features Tiger Lily, so I wonder if they'll make an alternative scene or just completely remove the Indian references.

mastromjm

In the Parks
Yes
The new Tokyo DisneySea ride still features Tiger Lily, so I wonder if they'll make an alternative scene or just completely remove the Indian references.
Probably totally remove. Different cultural opinions in Tokyo - see, Splash Mountain staying there for instance

fgmnt

Just a thought, and I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade here...should another Fantasyland expansion come, how about we focus on putting some legitimately new attractions into whatever available space there is and not just waste it by jigsawing in clones of pre-existing builds? The Magic Kingdom is not Disneyland and shouldn't endeavor to be every bit like Disneyland
Yeah, I actually am not someone who sees a lot of sacred cows in either Fantasyland in the US except the DL IASW. I don't think the company will ever do it because you can't sell 7 figures in merch and run an 18 month marketing plan on it, but there's definitely a hidden guest satisfaction potential in spending the inflation adjusted amount for DL's Alice in Wonderland on something similar in capacity and real estate.

Ice Gator

Tiger Lilly is probably the least offensive of the Indian characters so I could see them including her but discarding the rest.
They included her as a primary character in the new Peter Pan and Wendy Disney+ movie, so I imagine they don’t have a problem with Tiger Lily herself- just the rest of the Native Americans who were drawn as clear caricatures in the animated movie.

Last edited:

jeanericuser001

I still think they may be just adding projection mapping. Runaway rail did a lot with very little so projection mapping for peter pan to simulate facial animation, water effects, traffic in the streets of london, light effects for tinkerbell, and a variety of smaller effects would not be a bank breaker but still enough to further boost attendance. In essence it doesn't change the ride but rather improves on it. Sort of how projection mapping in rise of the resistance fills in for spots where practical effects can not be done.

Bocabear

That is true, but I don't think adding projection mapping can fix the shortness of the ride.... They really need to build a whole new version...get rid of the circus tents and put a Neverland....where a Neverland should be!

jeanericuser001

That is true, but I don't think adding projection mapping can fix the shortness of the ride.... They really need to build a whole new version...get rid of the circus tents and put a Neverland....where a Neverland should be!
Depends on the speed of the vehicles. The faster the speed the shorter the ride. I have noticed lately that peter pan seems pretty fast compared to some years I have rode on it. A few small changes in some spots could change the nature of the ride though it may increase wait times a little. A slow down may also allow for more vehicles on the track at once. If they also make efforts to reinforce the overhead track it might make that possible.

Bocabear

The Shanghai version of Peter Pan is about the best version...that is still classic Peter Pan's flight with some additional projection mapping...just enough to make it magical....and a score that follows the story. It is lovely... THe WDW dark rides all feel like the cliff-notes versions....

jeanericuser001

The Shanghai version of Peter Pan is about the best version...that is still classic Peter Pan's flight with some additional projection mapping...just enough to make it magical....and a score that follows the story. It is lovely... THe WDW dark rides all feel like the cliff-notes versions....

Giving peter pan the dumbo treatment will still not change anything. As comped said, its meant to be cliff notes. Besides its a question of what is a better use of space. At this point disney has plenty of new franchises incoming that will require a lot more effort where is a simple revamp of peter pan is all that is needed. Revamps have done a lot for disney in the past. Spaceship earth may be epcot's oldest attraction but the revamps have kept it fresh for decades. A revamp on peter pan may prove handy for disney especially if tiana's adventure ends up being more of a dud. With universal slowly grinding ever closer to epic universe and disney just starting on some big projects its gonna be a while before disney can release any big attractsions to draw people back in. That is why a revamp may draw in some people at a time when disney has nothing to offer that is relatively new.

Bocabear

by "cliff notes" I just meant the highlights of a Peter Pan Ride but painfully short... not literally the book report thing... A book report Peter Pan is fine with me... Though I do wish all of them were a little longer... The flight to Neverland, then a quick swoosh around neverland and back to loading.... The Shanghai version feels like a little more of an attempt at a story....and again, the cued score to the ride is perfect...especially how they do the end ride...

jeanericuser001

by "cliff notes" I just meant the highlights of a Peter Pan Ride but painfully short... not literally the book report thing... A book report Peter Pan is fine with me... Though I do wish all of them were a little longer... The flight to Neverland, then a quick swoosh around neverland and back to loading.... The Shanghai version feels like a little more of an attempt at a story....and again, the cued score to the ride is perfect...especially how they do the end ride...

That is where I think you are failing to understand the powerful potential of a revamp. Certain parts of the ride can be kept while other parts can be modified, removed, or changed. The ride itself is simply flying over dioramas and a couple animatronics just as the great movie ride was riding through closed sets with animatronics. What changed runaway rail did was the powerful addition of projection mapping to greatly alter the ride itself. As a result its a very very different ride now but when you take away some of the changes its still the same ride. The same I feel could be done to peter pan to greatly improve the ride but in order to do so it would have to be cleverly done with a combination of set piece changes, new lighting, new effects, some alterations to the existing art, and most important, projections to add in additional animated elements that previous would bring the other wise still scenes to life. I have not seen any video of peter pan at MK with lights on but I suspect it is possible to do it while not significantly breaking the bank for disney. Its not like they are creating another tron. Then again peter pan tron sounds really wild but that is one acid trip for another time.

EricsBiscuit

Yet WDW still has the best Neverland scene and the most detailed London flyover.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom