Serious: any hope for a visit to Orlando as a trans woman?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clover Bailey

Original Poster
Hey everyone, haven't posted here in a while but I really want to get back on this forum.

My biggest dream at the moment is to take my boyfriend to Orlando, mainly for a Disney vacation but also to visit Universal too! I've been trying to plan a trip for a long time but I've had major concerns with the elephant in the room...

As many of you may know, Florida governor Ron DeSantis has been pushing and signing in various laws involving trans people, including bathroom bills and medical restrictions that are questionable to say the least.

I'm a young trans woman living in Dublin, Ireland, so a lot of this doesn't affect my personal life, and I generally pass very well, but if I were to visit Florida I would be putting myself at a lot of risk should my identity be discovered. From what I have read I cannot take my HRT medication while visiting, nor use the women's restrooms. Disney could face legal troubles for even respecting my gender identity, and apparently doctors have the right to refuse treatment in the rare case that I get involved in a deadly accident. Many organisations have advised against LGBT+ people visiting Florida in this climate. I was honestly in denial of how bad it is until my boyfriend confessed to me in tears that he didn't want to go to Florida at the moment out of fear for my safety and wellbeing.

Obviously visiting Florida isn't a wise idea for us at the current moment, my question is if there is any hope in the near future? I know Disney has been pretty clear that they are against these actions and, even if it is for financial reasons, want to support the LGBT+ community. DeSantis, however, doesn't seem to be interested in any of this, and from what I've gathered the Republican Party will continue his agenda in Florida regardless. However is there any chance that they may at least tone down if not forget these bills altogether?

Walt Disney World was a huge part of my childhood and I really want to share that magic with my boyfriend, and I just hope that it won't be too long til I have the chance to do so. Thanks for reading 🏳️‍🌈

Prince-1

I know this is a cliched response but....

giphy.gif

Prince-1

And for my response to your question...while Ronnie is a horrible person and an utter joke, you and your boyfriend should absolutely have no problem having a great time in Florida visiting the parks. Go and be yourselves and don't worry about the small minded people who unfortunately can be found in every state.

BuddyThomas

This thread should be interesting, for as long as it is allowed to exist, which, if history serves, won’t be long.

I can only speak for myself as a gay man, but there is no way I am giving Florida any of my money under the current administration down there and all of their hateful policies. That’s why we went to Disneyland this past September instead, and we had a fantastic time. You probably won’t have any trouble on Disney property in Florida but I personally wouldn’t go right now.

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
I lived in Orlando for five years, and while I am not trans, I am gay and they have a vibrant and wonderful community there. My husband and I have never felt unsafe, even in the current climate. I say go and have a great time. Disney is such a magical place. ❤️

cjkeating

You shouldn't have any issues at Walt Disney World at least no more than you can (unfortunately) except to receive as an LGBTQ+ person in any liberal city in the UK or Ireland. I've been going with my husband for 10 years + and never had any issues at all.

During my two visits this year I noticed some people wearing comical anti-Desantis shirts and I got more positive comments wearing a t-shirt of Chopper from Star Wars holding a Pride Progress flag than any other t-shirt I wore on both trips combined.

I can't comment on what you mentioned regarding treatment in hospitals, it isn't something I have heard so maybe something you should research in more detail to get the facts? As long as you have travel insurance I doubt hospitals in Orlando would refuse you treatment as long as you can pay.

Alternatively as others have said California is a progressive state and Disneyland Paris is the queerest Disney (from my experiences) if you want to stay closer to home.

Vegas Disney Fan

Politics in America is lots of bark but not much bite, even those that disagree with how you live your life are very unlikely to say anything, you may be unlucky and run into the rare Karen but that’s true anywhere.

Reactions: BWW

mf1972

my wife & i were there late october-early november. we saw many gay couples during our stay & nobody blinked an eye, & we didn’t notice any hostility or negativity whatsoever. i don’t think you or your boyfriend should have anything to worry about.

AndyS2992

Went in September 2022 and saw lots of trans people, none of whom appeared to be having any issues, I doubt Disney will enforce any of it. You'll be fine 🙂

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Hey everyone, haven't posted here in a while but I really want to get back on this forum.

My biggest dream at the moment is to take my boyfriend to Orlando, mainly for a Disney vacation but also to visit Universal too! I've been trying to plan a trip for a long time but I've had major concerns with the elephant in the room...

As many of you may know, Florida governor Ron DeSantis has been pushing and signing in various laws involving trans people, including bathroom bills and medical restrictions that are questionable to say the least.

I'm a young trans woman living in Dublin, Ireland, so a lot of this doesn't affect my personal life, and I generally pass very well, but if I were to visit Florida I would be putting myself at a lot of risk should my identity be discovered. From what I have read I cannot take my HRT medication while visiting, nor use the women's restrooms. Disney could face legal troubles for even respecting my gender identity, and apparently doctors have the right to refuse treatment in the rare case that I get involved in a deadly accident. Many organisations have advised against LGBT+ people visiting Florida in this climate. I was honestly in denial of how bad it is until my boyfriend confessed to me in tears that he didn't want to go to Florida at the moment out of fear for my safety and wellbeing.

Obviously visiting Florida isn't a wise idea for us at the current moment, my question is if there is any hope in the near future? I know Disney has been pretty clear that they are against these actions and, even if it is for financial reasons, want to support the LGBT+ community. DeSantis, however, doesn't seem to be interested in any of this, and from what I've gathered the Republican Party will continue his agenda in Florida regardless. However is there any chance that they may at least tone down if not forget these bills altogether?

Walt Disney World was a huge part of my childhood and I really want to share that magic with my boyfriend, and I just hope that it won't be too long til I have the chance to do so. Thanks for reading 🏳️‍🌈

To address a few specifics:

Florida did pass a law that requires adults getting HRT prescription to sign an informed consent form but there is nothing that prevents them taking the medication.

The restroom law only applies to government-owned buildings and it's criteria for determining gender would require a pretty invasive medical examination.

Florida has tried to push back on DEI initiatives but I am not aware of any law that would limit how Disney could treat a customer.

Chef Mickey

We'll see how free the speech is here bc I'm in no way intending to be rude or controversial, but offering a more pragmatic and balanced opinion.

People and particularly children can be cruel, so just be ready. I don't think it's "Florida" issue either. Most people at Disney are tourists from all over. I also don't think many people have issues with the people, but we have to be realistic. People and especially children are going to stare and likely say more if Caitlyn Jenner walks in the ladies' room.

The bathroom is a sensitive place and we should respect other peoples' views as well. To avoid all of this, probably should just use the family restroom. I think it's wrong to assume everyone with a different opinion is "hateful" or a "bad" person. There are kids in there who don't have the ability to reason or accept things as adults can. And for me, kids shouldn't have to try. They are kids. That is a factor.

If it's me? I don't care how other ppl live their lives. Go for it. But not everyone is so accepting, open, or free, particularly if it involves what their kids see. You can say it shouldn't matter and you're right, it shouldn't. But we live in the real world with all levels of acceptance.

Clover Bailey

Original Poster
We'll see how free the speech is here bc I'm in no way intending to be rude or controversial, but offering a more pragmatic and balanced opinion.

People and particularly children can be cruel, so just be ready. I don't think it's "Florida" issue either. Most people at Disney are tourists from all over. I also don't think many people have issues with the people, but we have to be realistic. People and especially children are going to stare and likely say more if Caitlyn Jenner walks in the ladies' room.

The bathroom is a sensitive place and we should respect other peoples' views as well. To avoid all of this, probably should just use the family restroom. I think it's wrong to assume everyone with a different opinion is "hateful" or a "bad" person. There are kids in there who don't have the ability to reason or accept things as adults can. And for me, kids shouldn't have to try. They are kids. That is a factor.

If it's me? I don't care how other ppl live their lives. Go for it. But not everyone is so accepting, open, or free, particularly if it involves what their kids see. You can say it shouldn't matter and you're right, it shouldn't. But we live in the real world with all levels of acceptance.
Hmm. First, like I said in my post I tend to pass well enough that people don't realise I'm trans. The Caitlyn Jenner comment is true, but I'm not Caitlyn Jenner. I'm like 20. I'm less concerned about a child being rude to me but rather the chances of being subject to DeSantis' recent anti-trans laws.

Second, I've seen your attitude towards politics in other threads. I could be wrong here but I feel like you saw this thread, saw the word "trans" and decided to post this rather insensitive response about how I should temper my expectations of others. Not saying you're wrong, necessarily, but you never once share any sympathies for my situation.

You have the right to share your opinion, I just don't think it's in good faith.

Lilofan

Family restrooms are not in all park locations ( ie fine dining locations and other areas of the park).

Vegas Disney Fan

Hmm. First, like I said in my post I tend to pass well enough that people don't realise I'm trans. The Caitlyn Jenner comment is true, but I'm not Caitlyn Jenner. I'm like 20. I'm less concerned about a child being rude to me but rather the chances of being subject to DeSantis' recent anti-trans laws.

This will probably be a shock because I lean right too but I'm firmly in the use whatever restroom you “look” like you belong in camp. If you look like a guy and go in a men’s restroom 99.999% won’t notice, if you look like a girl and go in a girls restroom 99.999% won’t notice.

If we were talking about communal showers or something it would be a bit trickier but it’s Disney, unless someone’s going out of there way to look at your privates in a bathroom I don’t know how anyone would even know.

As I said before I wouldn't worry about DeSantis or the laws, he’s made a lot of noise but there’s an estimated 110,000 trans people living in Florida, if they can survive the new laws 24 hours a day 365 days a year you will be fine for a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom