News Disney releases updated timeline for Parks and Resorts openings through 2026

wdwfan4ver

That’s their goal…and that would be when Disney is in trouble

If it becomes a trend line
There already are Universal rumors that would help make that a reality. I am referring to Pokemon replacing Simpsons, Zelda replacing Lost Continent, and Luigi's Mansion mini land taking part of Epic Universe Expansion pad between Super Nintendo World and Dark Universe. There is no time set or attractions completely settled on from a rumor standpoint.

There also is question mark with when Simpsons Close due to the land could close as early as late 2024 or 2025 or as late as the contract of 2028.

While I know very little about Pokemon, I do know that IP has been very popular since the late 1990s.

Casper Gutman

Not even Disney builds the kind of rides 3 generations can enjoy together anymore like World of Motion or Jungle Cruise.

The only recent examples in the USA I can think of are Navi River Journey and Runaway Railway.

Maybe Webslingers if Grandma doesn't have arthritis.

Secret Life of Pets is proof Universal can build that sort of ride, and do it well, but they unfortunately don't more often.
That’s an indictment of Disney, not a defense of Universal.

Secret Life of Pets is a beautiful example of what’s wrong at Universal. It’s a wonderful, traditional, AA-packed dark ride with a spectacular queue - and an inexplicable height limit and horribly, unnecessarily restrictive restraints that prevent a lot of guests from riding it. What’s more, the dictates of corporate synergy mean it will never be reproduced in another park because the IP doesn’t move enough merch.

I’m a huge champion of Universal. But I don’t want it to end up where Disney is now, and it’s on its way.

Casper Gutman

IMO I think Universal is waiting for the Frisco kids park to open and see how well that draws. If it does well I can see them doing more of those type of rides in the Orlando parks.
This seems very silly. Family-friendly dark rides are an abundantly known commodity. The Disney Resorts’ success was built on them. No competent person in the industry should be confused about their significance.

Do people really think Hogsmeade would have been less successful if Forbidden Journey had featured more AAs and a more traditional, family-friendly dark ride system that didn’t needlessly whack guests from side to side?

Casper Gutman

There already are Universal rumors that would help make that a reality. I am referring to Pokemon replacing Simpsons, Zelda replacing Lost Continent, and Luigi's Mansion mini land taking part of Epic Universe Expansion pad between Super Nintendo World and Dark Universe. There is no time set or attractions completely settled on from a rumor standpoint.

There also is question mark with when Simpsons Close due to the land could close as early as late 2024 or 2025 or as late as the contract of 2028.

While I know very little about Pokemon, I do know that IP has been very popular since the late 1990s.
Pokémon is a monstrously huge IP that Uni needs to make into a multi-ride land post-haste. The problem is that Uni’s current plans for the property are distinctly underwhelming and the best chunk of real estate at the Studios (one earmarked for Pokémon at one point) is now being turned into a cost-cut reskinned kiddieland featuring properties that deserve better.

Jrb1979

This seems very silly. Family-friendly dark rides are an abundantly known commodity. The Disney Resorts’ success was built on them. No competent person in the industry should be confused about their significance.

Do people really think Hogsmeade would have been less successful if Forbidden Journey had featured more AAs and a more traditional, family-friendly dark ride system that didn’t needlessly whack guests from side to side?
I disagree. For Disney they are known commodity. There is no guarantee that they will draw families to Universal.

Look at Secret Life of Pets. Yeah it's a great family-friendly dark ride. What happened was those families came and saw it. Then went right back to Disney. I'm not so sure building a bunch of them changes much. IMO Disney has that market cornered.

Casper Gutman

I disagree. For Disney they are known commodity. There is no guarantee that they will draw families to Universal.

Look at Secret Life of Pets. Yeah it's a great family-friendly dark ride. What happened was those families came and saw it. Then went right back to Disney. I'm not so sure building a bunch of them changes much. IMO Disney has that market cornered.
Secret Life has a height limit and restraints that are more restrictive then many roller coasters.

If Uni actually builds family-friendly rides, they will appeal more to the family market. You’re being silly.

doctornick

While I understand your general point, I don’t think that’s a good example. The unique ride mechanics of FJ add a lot to the ride and surely helped it to be the hit that it became. They wanted to make it feel like you were flying (and get a comparison to wizards on brooms) and I don’t think they could have done that with a conventional non height restrictive dark ride.

Uni does need to build more family friendly rides though

Andrew25

SLOP has horrendous capacity, requiring a virtual queue at times which restricts how many people get in. Universal every once in a while makes some of the oddest decisions on their rides... (Fast & Furious, Donkey Kong coaster capacity expected to be less than 1K riders an hour, etc.)

I do think Universal has an opportunity to attract the younger market, they just don't seem to try.

Universal doesn't have the wealth of IPs to compete head-to-head with Disney with young children, BUT that doesn't mean they shouldn't be creating 'family-friendly' attractions with no height requirement, no screens, and no motion simulators.

I think lots of typical "Disney-only" folks would see Universal in a more positive light if they installed a boat ride and omnimover at each park lol

Brer Oswald

From a rumour standpoint, I believe all of these projects are set to be done by 2032. Aka whenever the next big Disney Parks addition might be done.

Brer Oswald

Universal doesn't have the wealth of IPs to compete head-to-head with Disney with young children, BUT that doesn't mean they shouldn't be creating 'family-friendly' attractions with no height requirement, no screens, and no motion simulators.
I’d argue that the Nintendo properties far eclipse Disney’s in their overall popularity and brand awareness with today’s youth. Almost every individual born in the last 25 years has grown up with Mario and Pokémon.

JD80

I actually think Universal will start taking families for a week once Epic opens

Once the dust settles, I don't think so - at least on a larger scale. To make a resort a full week destination one of your parks needs to be at least a 2 day park. I don't think EU is a 2 day park currently unless you want to count "It's new and I want to be there 2 days."

A full weeks vacation is 5 full days. For WDW you can fill that up with one day for each park and then maybe a 5th day at MK. Even if you combine two parks with hoppers like AK/DHS you can still count on people wanting to do MK for 2 days.

Universal? I don't think you can stretch those 3 parks in to enough entertainment for 5 full days. USF or IoA enough for a second day from either one? Can you see a family doing EU twice, IoA and USF each once then then another day with both IoA and USF?

I think the more likely scenario is you're going to get a lot more WDW/Uni combo vacations. The question will be is it 3/4 days Uni and 1 day at WDW? Or - 3/4 days at WDW and one day at EU?

edit:
Also - their parks will need to be open past 7pm.

Last edited:

Indy_UK

Once the dust settles, I don't think so - at least on a larger scale. To make a resort a full week destination one of your parks needs to be at least a 2 day park. I don't think EU is a 2 day park currently unless you want to count "It's new and I want to be there 2 days."

A full weeks vacation is 5 full days. For WDW you can fill that up with one day for each park and then maybe a 5th day at MK. Even if you combine two parks with hoppers like AK/DHS you can still count on people wanting to do MK for 2 days.

Universal? I don't think you can stretch those 3 parks in to enough entertainment for 5 full days. USF or IoA enough for a second day from either one? Can you see a family doing EU twice, IoA and USF each once then then another day with both IoA and USF?

I think the more likely scenario is you're going to get a lot more WDW/Uni combo vacations. The question will be is it 3/4 days Uni and 1 day at WDW? Or - 3/4 days at WDW and one day at EU?

edit:
Also - their parks will need to be open past 7pm.

Do American families not really do water parks? We do them every trip so with Volcano Bay, I could see us doing a weeks stay, however, it wouldn't be every year. Maybe every 3 years. WDW will always be every August for us and Vero Beach every other April

JD80

Do American families not really do water parks? We do them every trip so with Volcano Bay, I could see us doing a weeks stay, however, it wouldn't be every year. Maybe every 3 years. WDW will always be every August for us and Vero Beach every other April

I'm not a Universal person, I know very little about the resort over all and most of my opinion is based on what I read and watch others commenting about over the years.

I almost never see or hear anyone planning a WDW trip and making room for water parks in their plans. But Volcano Bay and Typhoon Lagoon each get like 2M guests a year or so. Someone's going.

Are people dedicating a day for that in their trips or is it an addon?

Indy_UK

I'm not a Universal person, I know very little about the resort over all and most of my opinion is based on what I read and watch others commenting about over the years.

I almost never see or hear anyone planning a WDW trip and making room for water parks in their plans. But Volcano Bay and Typhoon Lagoon each get like 2M guests a year or so. Someone's going.

Are people dedicating a day for that in their trips or is it an addon?

Maybe it’s a British thing. We have to have water park days. Saying that we make sure to have a ‘rest or resort’ after every 2 parks days as we just get burned out

Jrb1979

What works for Universal for us is with 5 full days, you can have actual resort days to relax and not have to parks every day. It also gives up time to see more than just Universal. We have been able to do places like Gator Land and some International Drive things.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That’s an indictment of Disney, not a defense of Universal.

Secret Life of Pets is a beautiful example of what’s wrong at Universal. It’s a wonderful, traditional, AA-packed dark ride with a spectacular queue - and an inexplicable height limit and horribly, unnecessarily restrictive restraints that prevent a lot of guests from riding it. What’s more, the dictates of corporate synergy mean it will never be reproduced in another park because the IP doesn’t move enough merch.

I’m a huge champion of Universal. But I don’t want it to end up where Disney is now, and it’s on its way.
You got my wires crossed on this one

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Maybe it’s a British thing. We have to have water park days. Saying that we make sure to have a ‘rest or resort’ after every 2 parks days as we just get burned out
Yeah…that definitely is a British thing

Vacation is “frowned up” in the post industrial nightmare across the pond

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom