News Amani Village Traders in EPCOT's World Showcase gets a new look with vibrant murals

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster

Village-Traders_Full_52262.jpg

Village-Traders_Full_52265.jpg

Epcot82Guy

This is a really nice addition. Did they add any information about the artist anywhere? (Assuming so, but missed it if we know that.)

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster

Incomudro

They look too new.
Now, granted - new murals could be painted on a place like this in a genuine location in Africa.
But this would look so much better with some level of distress.

Epcot82Guy

I don't think there is anything in EPCOT, at least not so far. There is a bit of info in the article if you have a quick scroll down.

Ah. That's a shame. I was reading about it in the article. But, maybe they'll add a little something - either physically in the park or on the app. Regardless, they are nicely done. And, they could easily rotate artists as these age - like they often do with in town murals.

DonaldDoleWhip

They look too new.
Now, granted - new murals could be painted on a place like this in a genuine location in Africa.
Personally I'm glad they look newer - while the distressed look works super well in Animal Kingdom's Africa and Asia, I think it can also be said that in this modern age of travel (influenced more by the likes of influencers and social media), many more African tourism spots are on the map.

Sadly haven't been back to Sub-Saharan Africa since 2006 (used to go often; South African on my mom's side), but this approach reflects how growing interest in under-the-radar locales (unlike most of the World Showcase pavilions) eventually helps them revitalize and find new life. With the flower motif as well, that's at least where my head goes - love this.

Incomudro

Personally I'm glad they look newer - while the distressed look works super well in Animal Kingdom's Africa and Asia, I think it can also be said that in this modern age of travel (influenced more by the likes of influencers and social media), many more African tourism spots are on the map.

Sadly haven't been back to Sub-Saharan Africa since 2006 (used to go often; South African on my mom's side), but this approach reflects how growing interest in under-the-radar locales (unlike most of the World Showcase pavilions) eventually helps them revitalize and find new life. With the flower motif as well, that's at least where my head goes - love this.
I don't know...
For me it looks like they were "tagged" overnight.
(Yes, I know full murals are not actually tagging.)
Maybe if they didn't look like they were all done by the same person, or if there was a mix of new and distressed.
This looks too much like an underpass in LA, or side of a convenience store to me.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
They look too new.
The intention isn't for this to be a thematic element like you would find in Harambe. This is a piece of modern, current day art, so it would make no sense to be distressed.

Incomudro

The intention isn't for this to be a thematic element like you would find in Harambe. This is a piece of modern, current day art, so it would make no sense to be distressed.
Yes, I get that - but the stand still "takes place" in a village in Africa.
Granted, such a place could have all of its doors painted brand new and overnight by a single artist.
That'd be unlikely though.
This breaks the theme for me.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster

Sir_Cliff

Yes, I agree this is a better approach than the "Harambe" look.

It's also more in keeping with World Showcase more generally, which tends to present all the countries as fresh and clean. The Mexico, pavilion, for example, isn't crumbling ruins but brightly painted to approximate how such a pyramid may have looked before the arrival of the Spaniards. In that context, it makes sense to make this look more like how you would probably find street art that has been recently painted.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Yes, I agree this is a better approach than the "Harambe" look.

It's also more in keeping with World Showcase more generally, which tends to present all the countries as fresh and clean. The Mexico, pavilion, for example, isn't crumbling ruins but brightly painted to approximate how such a pyramid may have looked before the arrival of the Spaniards. In that context, it makes sense to make this look more like how you would probably find street art that has been recently painted.

It wasn't just the Spaniards, internecine warfare started with the Teotihuacan civilization and continued its bloody path to the Aztecs who were running rampant across everyone until the Spaniard's arrival. Mayan, Toltec, Mixtec, Purépecha, Zapotec, Aztec... it was a very messy thousand years of empires expanding and being destroyed.

Theres plenty of wonderful contemporary talent that can populate and dress Epcot's world showcase (and the rest of the park as well), it doesn't need to be stuck in any one temporal milieu like a dusty museum. Museums are all about WAS.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom