Delayed opening monorail

Disone

Original Poster
So Disney has just announced that on Friday all three monorail lines will not open until 10:00 a.m. For " routine maintenance"

But wow what a critical time to not have the lines open.

I'm not sure this has ever happened before. I'm wondering if this has anything to do with the central Florida tourism oversight board.

They certainly aren't saying that in their announcement. And for that reason I've chosen not to put this on that thread.

Disstevefan1

So Disney has just announced that on Friday all three monorail lines will not open until 10:00 a.m. For " routine maintenance"

I'm not sure this has ever happened before. I'm wondering if this has anything to do with the central Florida tourism oversight board.

They certainly aren't saying that in their announcement. And for that reason I've chosen not to put this on that thread.
WDWmonorail.jpg

lazyboy97o

They don’t really have any authority over the monorails as a system and have not moved to assume such authority.

As of the first of the month, FDOT now has authority over the monorails but that is supposed to move through the rule making process. It seems doubtful that Disney wouldn’t make note of a state-caused interruption in service and would couch it as maintenance.

Disone

Original Poster
Ehhhh. I honestly don't think they're that bad anymore.

Downtime is way down versus some years ago, and when there is downtime it's usually not associated to a specific train issue.

I know people like to throw around the 20-year life cycle. That's more of an accounting thing. There are plenty of trains around the world that are way more than 20 years old. Although against my own argument Tokyo Disney did needlessly replace their monorails when they were 19 years old. So yeah there is that. But I do like these trains. I like the leader jet look. I'm kind of glad they fixed them up and kept them.

Disone

Original Poster
They don’t really have any authority over the monorails as a system and have not moved to assume such authority.

As of the first of the month, FDOT now has authority over the monorails but that is supposed to move through the rule making process. It seems doubtful that Disney wouldn’t make note of a state-caused interruption in service and would couch it as maintenance.
It does seem odd I agree. 100%. But I still wonder because this is the first time that I know of that all three lines have had a scheduled delayed opening Not associated with an accident.

It certainly would be an interesting choice if Disney is choosing to low-key this.

bpiper

Maybe they are performing overnight maintenance that requires a little more time to complete, hence the late start of operation? Like switching out a transformer. The overnight window isn't that large and sometimes things take longer than the window allows.

monorail81

It's a little weird to me to have all three shut down at the same time. Usually, they’d be able to keep Epcot running if they were working on the MK beams (or the opposite). The only thing that I can think it might be would be some sort of computer system upgrade. I can see where that would take down the whole system.

JohnD

CFTOD has nothing to do with that. There was a separate transportation bill which was amended to included FDOT doing monorail inspections, including shutting down the monorail when those inspections occur. That doesn't necessarily mean this shut down is related to that.

esskay

Probably just swapping out a critical power related component required for all beams and know they won’t get it done by park opening.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
As of the first of the month, FDOT now has authority over the monorails but that is supposed to move through the rule making process.
Perhaps FDOT is visiting to do an eyes-on assessment... as for calling it maintenance, I'm sure Disney doesn't want to antagonize the state agency overseeing their signature transportation system.

TrainsOfDisney

When they run busses from TTC to MK does that mean you have to go through security twice?
Good question. If they pickup in the bus loop within security, they could drop off on the contemporary path that is past the security check point. I haven’t seen how they do it though but that would be a possibility.

TrainsOfDisney

The Transportation and Ticket Center bus loop is not within the secure area. I can’t imagine they’d bother with setting up a new perimeter.
There are 2 bus shelters at TTC, the older one that is not typically used would be entered by guests after clearing security.

I’m not sure if the TTC to MK busses typically use this loop or not. They used to, but that was years ago before security was at TTC.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom